Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 11:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Drug warning »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Drug warning
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Drug warning  (Read 674 times)
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Drug warning
« on: Feb 1st, 2008, 7:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Drug warning hit the press today and I wanted to get this cautionary note posted before folks get afraid and make an impulsive decision to stop using these meds. (This material from the NYTimes, 2/1/08.)
-------
DEPAKOTE, LAMICTAL, TOPAMAX, KEPPRA, LYRICA, NEURONTIN were subjects of a combined analysis of 199 clinical trials involving 44,000 people.  

Results: "Taken together, the risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior was 0.43%."
  "The increased risks began as early as the first week of therapy and never seemed to leave.... The risks were higher among epileptics THAN AMONG THOSE GIVEN THE DRUGS FOR...OTHER PROBLEMS."
------

This is an insignificant problem in comparison to all the other risks of daily living which we encounter. Following is another message posted some time ago on this issue.
---
I posted this message on a chat group for dog owners (Vizsla). The issues are the same whether we are talking about animals or humans--so a little translating of words will make it understandable. The core idea: side effects are not an absolute--yes/no--issue. We must always balance potential risk with potential benefit. I'm concerned with the tendency to present comments about medicine side effects in terms which frighten folks away from trying meds which might be of benefit.  
------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------
This question about side effects from food (allergies) or medications pops up regularly. The problem is, we don't ask the correct questions. The issues are:

1. What is the rate or chance or probability that any particular side effect will develop?

Without information it's easy to assume that the list of side effects is a statement of what will happen if the med is used. In fact, side effects are reported in human medicine/vet literature as a rate of occurrence ranging from less than one percent and ranging upward.

It's important to ask the Vet for two pieces of information: what are the side effects?; what is the rate or chance that a particular effect will occur? Without information it's impossible to make a good judgment about using or not.

2. How serious are the side effects compared to the condition for which the med is being used?

We have a member whose Vizsla would have died from a systemic fungal infection without a med. The problem is that this med has serious and frequent side effects--but there were no treatment options.

3. How important is my judgment about the risk of side effects vs. the benefit of using this med?

Bottom line: A list of side effects is a statement of POSSIBILITIES. It is not a PREDICTION of what will occur. Wisdom calls for knowing both the risk and asking the vet what to look for, i.e., symptoms of side effects.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Drug warning
« Reply #1 on: Feb 1st, 2008, 10:18am »

You continue to be a priceless asset to this board. bow

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 1st, 2008, 12:56pm »

on Feb 1st, 2008, 10:18am, Guiseppi wrote:

Guiseppi

Yea, what he said  Wink  Thanks Bob...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
andrewjb
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

when the love of power becomes the power of love !

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 1st, 2008, 11:01pm »

Smiley, thanks Bob. andrew
IP Logged
billlmack
New Board Newbie
USA 

most painful experience a human can experience

« Reply #4 on: Feb 1st, 2008, 11:37pm »

Topamax made me not mentally handle my attacks very well.
IP Logged

"yeah I get real bad headaches too"
kingsiren
New Board Junior

Good Luck and God Bless!!!!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 2nd, 2008, 7:49pm »

I hated the Topamax as well. First the pred taper made me an emotional wreck then the Topamax made me tired, cranky, more depressed that I already am in a cycle, and I blame it for some of the crazy vivid "waking dreams" I experienced. Given the choice, i wouldn;t use the Topamax ever again unless it was the only way to get relief, the side effects for me were pretty miserable.
IP Logged

I have an ice pick being repeatedly stabbed through my eye, into my brain while 4160 Volts run through it as someone squeezes my eyeball. You get headaches buddy, I get the Beelzebub on Crystal Meth.
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 1st, 2008, 10:18am, Guiseppi wrote:

I couldn't agree more.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss