Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 2:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « breathe hard, ch goes away »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   breathe hard, ch goes away
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: breathe hard, ch goes away  (Read 1427 times)
runningman
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

breathe hard, ch goes away
« on: Feb 3rd, 2008, 11:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Let me tell you something, the beast don't like oxygen. When oxygen is present, the devil is not.  My way is to breathe hard or induce hard breathing through exercise. By the way, my family doctor would not give me an o2 tank, just lots of painkillers and imitrex, haha, he was a real pro. So to hell with them, they don't know what this thing is. But you do, and I do, so believe me, oxygen therapy works, and you can get it by climbing stairs, or running around, or whatever makes you breathe hard. VIGOROUS EXERCISE MAKES THE BEAST GO AWAY. Try it, it works.
IP Logged
billlmack
New Board Newbie
USA 

most painful experience a human can experience

Re: breathe hard, ch goes away
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 12:55am »

push ups is what I do
IP Logged

"yeah I get real bad headaches too"
runningman
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 3:23am »

yes, late at night 3 am and bending up and down is not making me breathe hard enough, i get down and do some push ups.  anything to induce heavy breathing.
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #3 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 6:29am »

Sorry dude, don't mean to hound you but:

Exercise works as abortive for some, and not for others. This has been discussed on several occasions here and the same conclusion seems to be found. For example, for some of us, exercise, while in cycle, is a trigger. The fact that it can be an abortive for you is great - but know that not everyone has the same results with various behavioral abortives.  

It may be that as a result of your smoking that O2 levels are a little away from where they should be anyway, and a little exercise is enough of an oxygen bump to help you. For those of that don't smoke, maybe it is different. Any theory can lead to ten sub-postulates. That's the fun of Cluster headache.  

Glad it's working for you. Like many abortives, many of us find at different periods of our life different abortives work now than used to work. (Just like there are often sihfts in triggers)  Always good to learn as much as possible about what works for others.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #4 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 8:38am »

Because it's a bit tough to find yourself running up mountains with an O2 cylinder in tow when that night time hit appears I've come up with a different routine.

With practice and a good non-rebreather mask you can lift the cylinder - ideally using the left arm for left sided hits, giving your body a damn good reason to get the blood flowing away from where it causes problems.

Looks silly but works for me
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 10:19am »

Me I just cuddle my E-Tank, often times dressing it up and ever so often applying a little make up, (But I digress!!!)

I can get a little relief with hard exercise, bringing it down 2-3 clicks on the KIP. Pure oxygen will leave me pain free in as little as 6 minutes. If your doctor won't give you oxygen, he is CLUELESS about CH. It is the cheapest, most effective, least side effect treatment available and should absolutely, positively be your first line abortive. Kiss him on the cheek and send him on his way, find a doc who'll give you the "miracle elixir 02!"  

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 10:23am »

I wish that exercise would make a difference with ch, but no. So when I feel a hit coming, I go to the kitchen and get a Red Bull; it helps me quickly.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 12:35pm »

nope exercise dont do it for me either,
but i belive that breathing heavy or even hyperventilating has vasco- constricting properties
could be wrong and im sure someone will let me know
pain free wishes to ya all,
glad you found something that takes care of the beast
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 5:31pm »

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me I just cuddle my E-Tank, often times dressing it up and ever so often applying a little make up,

I can see it now Joe.  Guy comes to swap out your cylinders and he comes away with a new-found respect for sane people.
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 6:41pm »

on Feb 4th, 2008, 10:19am, Guiseppi wrote:
Me I just cuddle my E-Tank, often times dressing it up and ever so often applying a little make up, (But I digress!!!)

That's about what I'd expect from a guy that sports a moose-knuckle in public  Grin

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 10:34pm »

That's about what I'd expect from a guy that sports a moose-knuckle in public    

-Dennis-

Hmmmm....might take a while to live that one down..... Embarassed

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
QnHeartMM
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Feb 4th, 2008, 10:52pm »

Next time I'll take pictures. Ah, but no, I wouldn't be able to do that because if he's on his O2 it's a bad day.
IP Logged
richcurtin
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Mar 8th, 2008, 2:54am »

Glad exercise works for you. For me a trip to the gym  causes a headache,even when it is not my regular time for one and they are the absolute worst headaches.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 8th, 2008, 7:42am »

One cycle, many years back, I found doing squats at the start of an attack, along with deep breathing would abort the attack.  Killed over 60 attacks in a row doing this.  Each was gone within 5 minutes of doing the squats.

Now I'm older and lazier and I suck O2.  It has the same effect without the effort.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
chewy

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 8th, 2008, 8:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
VIGOROUS EXERCISE MAKES THE BEAST GO AWAY

Or it will take you from a shadow to a KIP 9 in minutes.
IP Logged
wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Switzerland 

« Reply #15 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 8:00am »

on Feb 4th, 2008, 12:35pm, hotprestwich wrote:
but i belive that breathing heavy or even hyperventilating has vasco- constricting properties

Pls. look at Pets and my post on this board,  Oxygen Therapy Q&As

Michael
IP Logged

Guido
New Board Junior
USA 

The Miracle is in the moment

guidoguy53  
Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 1:31am »

I am currently having an unscheduled episode or perhaps I have gone chronic, I really don't know. But after reading these posts I see perhaps a connection or a coincidence. Every Saturday I travel 90 miles to visit my 88 year old mother. The last two Saturdays I have been hit. Luckily I had an Imitrex nasal (next time I am taking my o2).  
The point is this. On all other days me and my sweetie take her dog on a 3 mile fast paste walk. I wonder if there is a connection or just coincidence?
IP Logged

He will come. You may put him off for awhile but, he will come. headbanger
Crappy
New Board Junior
USA 

__

« Reply #17 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 6:49am »

I remember readinng the results of a study that showed that CHers breathing colled room air reported the same or better efficacy as those breathing pure O2, and statistically there wasn't a difference.  I know for myself that cold air works wonders while I'm breathing it, just like my O2 tank, but neither helps once I stop breathing it.  I go for walks, too, and that helps keep the HA from increasing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
From http://www.clusterbusters.com/faq.html

The results of a study showing that cold room air inhalation is effective for aborting cluster headaches: Four patients with episodic cluster headache and four with chronic cluster headache were instructed to inhale room air cooled to 42 deg-F via an inhalation device that delivered the cold air to a nonrebreathing face mask at a rate of approximately 6 liters per minute. Patients inhaled the cold air until the headache was relieved or 15 minutes had elapsed, whichever was first. This procedure was continued through 10 headache attacks. For comparison purposes, a second study was done involving six patients who used 100% oxygen at each of five additional headaches.  

Inhaling cold room air effectively aborted cluster headaches in 6 to 15 minutes in 85% of episodes. By comparison, 100% oxygen was effective in 83%, with response occurring in 7-15 minutes. Cold air and 100% oxygen provided equivalent pain relief (mean level-of-relief score was 2.69 for cold room air and 2.72 for 100% oxygen).

"Room air cooled to 42 deg-F is as effective as 100% oxygen in relieving cluster headache pain," concluded the investigators. "This offers cluster headache patients an alternative treatment that is safe, effective, convenient and inexpensive." (McLeod MS. Headache.1996;290. Abstract.)
IP Logged

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence."
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #18 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 7:10am »

A brisk walk on a chilly night does help me, when I can walk .  Of course, it also means that, at 3:30 a.m., it's me and the meth heads on the streets.   Huh
And we're all muttering obscenities. Undecided
I try to do at least 3 hours of hard physical work everyday-helps keep the beast away during daytime-however, when it's really hot outside (gets to 110 F here in the summer)I really have to watch it cause the heat itself can be a trigger.

PFDAN
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss