Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 9th, 2024, 7:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cluster headaches and allergies »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cluster headaches and allergies
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cluster headaches and allergies  (Read 731 times)
sbjakecc
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Cluster headaches and allergies
« on: Feb 6th, 2008, 10:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello folks,
Just a little bit about my history.  For years, usually in the fall during the change of season, I would suffer from what I was sure were sinus headaches.  Many trips to the doctor's office with the same complaint would usually end up with prescriptions for antibiotics and pain killers.  I even had a CAT Scan and MRI which showed no problems.  The headaches would return but presciption pain killers didn't even help.  I knew something else was going on.  After doing some investigative work by myself on the internet I came to the conclusion I was suffering from cluster headaches.
A visit to an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor confirmed the diagnosis and resulted in allergy testing which showed I was very allergic to common molds present in my area.  I was placed on an antihistamine, Allegra (fexofenadine), which I have taken daily for the past five years.  Since then I have not suffered even one cluster headache.
Apparently my environmental allergies triggered the headaches.  I'd be glad to continually take an antihisamine for the rest of my life if it means no more cluster headaches.

IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

Re: Cluster headaches and allergies
« Reply #1 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 10:59am »

In the old days, cluster headaches were sometimes called histamine headaches. There is no doubt that histamine is involved, but the research emphasis moved away from allergies to the brain.  

Of course, histamine is still a factor, and some people benefit from antihistamines, others benefit from a histamine desensitization procedure (IV drip). Great if it works for you, worth a try.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 12:03pm »

could also be just a long remission time,
ive also gone 4-5 years between cycles,
hope it continues anyway, and that the beast never visits you again,
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
jace77
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 8:16pm »

on Feb 6th, 2008, 10:59am, monty wrote:
In the old days, cluster headaches were sometimes called histamine headaches. There is no doubt that histamine is involved, but the research emphasis moved away from allergies to the brain.  

Of course, histamine is still a factor, and some people benefit from antihistamines, others benefit from a histamine desensitization procedure (IV drip). Great if it works for you, worth a try.  

We just did  histamine desenitization with limited results, decreased the number and intensity, but they persisted, now doing dhe sub cut, the doctor said it can take up to a month for the histamine to take full affect, so hopefully the 1-2 punch will put it remission for a bit.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss