Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 1:20pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Pure 02's (bad) effect on hypothalamus »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Pure 02's (bad) effect on hypothalamus
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Pure 02's (bad) effect on hypothalamus  (Read 1580 times)
otakuhouse
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pure 02's (bad) effect on hypothalamus
« on: Feb 6th, 2008, 7:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sorry if this is old news, i found this completely on accident as it has nothing to do with cluster headaches... But very interesting nonetheless as it describes imaging of brains being given 100% oxygen and what was found...

"All this activity awakened the hypothalamus, which regulates heart rate and hormonal outflow. Activation of the hypothalamus triggered a cascade of harmful reactions and released chemicals that can injure the brain and heart.  

"Several brain areas responded to 100 per cent oxygen by kicking the hypothalamus into overdrive," explained Harper. "The hypothalamus overreacted by dumping a massive flood of hormones and neurotransmitters into the bloodstream. These chemicals interfere with the heart's ability to pump blood and deliver oxygen – the opposite effect you want when you're trying to resuscitate someone."

http://www.medicexchange.com/mall/departmentpage.cfm/MedicExchangeUSA/_0 /1617/departments-contentview
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

Re: Pure 02's (bad) effect on hypothalamus
« Reply #1 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 8:27pm »

Dear Otakuhouse:

This was news to me!  The article would seem that it misses the mark for most cluster victims.  The sample was composed of only a few children.  The vasoconstriction is necessary to abort our headaches, adding the CO2 negated that effect.  Apparently our hypothalmus misfunctions, who knows what effects it has on us?

I would like to see a peer reviewed study with cluster headache victims.

With best wishes,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 8:30pm »

To begin with a person with clusterheadacheds has a messed up hypothalamus. So I am not sure that this infomation would apply.

If you do not have a problem with your hypothalamus I could see how it might be harmful.

Just like anything else if you are not diabetic and you take insulin it would be bad for you.

IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #3 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 8:48pm »

on Feb 6th, 2008, 7:15pm, otakuhouse wrote:
Sorry if this is old news, i found this completely on accident as it has nothing to do with cluster headaches... But very interesting nonetheless as it describes imaging of brains being given 100% oxygen and what was found...

"All this activity awakened the hypothalamus, which regulates heart rate and hormonal outflow. Activation of the hypothalamus triggered a cascade of harmful reactions and released chemicals that can injure the brain and heart.  

"Several brain areas responded to 100 per cent oxygen by kicking the hypothalamus into overdrive," explained Harper. "The hypothalamus overreacted by dumping a massive flood of hormones and neurotransmitters into the bloodstream. These chemicals interfere with the heart's ability to pump blood and deliver oxygen – the opposite effect you want when you're trying to resuscitate someone."

http://www.medicexchange.com/mall/departmentpage.cfm/MedicExchangeUSA/_0 /1617/departments-contentview

Yer fishin.

potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
otakuhouse
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 9:06pm »

I stumbled upon this completely by acccident googling something hypothalamus related.  

I believe any and all information even if not applicable to our condition is of assistance in the larger picture of what exactly is going on. And something about the effect of o2 upon the hypothalamus may reveal something, especially as we still don't know exactly why o2 helps... We know it vasoconstricts, and reduces bloodflow to the brain etc.

Perhaps this would indicate that our hypothalamus' during cycles are in an opposite state - far too low activity and the kick up from pure o2 helps put it into a normal state as opposed to an overdriven state?

But i'm also hazy and unclear about everything given the hell of a beast ridden day i had. Six attacks, one kip 10.

If I read the guide right about o2 though this all makes sense... Intereference of blood flow to brain.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2008, 9:10pm by otakuhouse » IP Logged
AlienSpaceGuy
New Board Veteran

Greetings from outer space

« Reply #5 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 11:31pm »

I can't belive what this article says.

IMHO, somebody goofed in a gigantic way by dropping a decimal point.

Five percent carbon dioxide in breathing air is something nobody should be exposed to.

Here a few numbers about CO2:

0.03% - is the normal concentration in fresh air

0.5% - Lung ventilation increases by 5%. This is the maximum safe working level recommended for an 8 hour working day in industry.

2.0% - Lung ventilation increases by 50%. Accumulation of CO2 in the body will disturb body function by causing the tissue fluids to become too acidic.  

3.0% - Lung ventilation increases by 100%. Prolonged exposure will cause dizziness, headaches and possibly vision disturbance.

4.5% is approximately the carbon dioxide content of exhaled breath. From this follows if the inhaled gas contains already 5% you're uptaking CO2 instead of getting rid of it.

10% and more - Will cause in a few minutes unconsciousness and suffocation without warning.

Conclusion: Adding 5% carbon dioxide to the mixture to breath in is either a scheme of Dr. Mengele or an unforgivable typo.
In either way, it makes the whole article and its conclusions worthless.

smokin

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods and hates snake oil vendors.

Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 6th, 2008, 11:41pm »

Thank you Ueli.

Between you and Bob Johnson the rest of us couldn't have a better team in deciphering scientific data.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 1:57am »

I agree with Alien Guy had to be a typo, yet informative all the same

A Lack of CO2 in the body does have its issues though and the suggested wash out in the article with pure oxygen (Haldane effect I think its called) can exacerbate some many problems.  

For some of us however, me in particular, this may help explain why pure oxygen vastly increases the intensity of the pain of CH.  
And why it doesnt help some others as well.

on Feb 6th, 2008, 7:15pm, otakuhouse wrote:

"All this activity awakened the hypothalamus, which regulates heart rate and hormonal outflow. Activation of the hypothalamus triggered a cascade of harmful reactions and released chemicals  

"Several brain areas responded to 100 per cent oxygen by kicking the hypothalamus into overdrive," explained Harper. "The hypothalamus overreacted by dumping a massive flood of hormones and neurotransmitters into the bloodstream. These chemicals interfere with the heart's ability to pump blood and deliver oxygen."

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2008, 2:00am by MJ » IP Logged

MJ
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 6:50am »

The percentages of CO2 above are based on being in atmospheric conditions, i.e.21% oxygen.  Can higher levels of CO2 be tolerated if the % of O2 is higher, 100%?
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Paul98

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 8:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 6th, 2008, 11:31pm, AlienSpaceGuy wrote:
I can't belive what this article says.

IMHO, somebody goofed in a gigantic way by dropping a decimal point.

Five percent carbon dioxide in breathing air is something nobody should be exposed to.

Here a few numbers about CO2:

0.03% - is the normal concentration in fresh air

0.5% - Lung ventilation increases by 5%. This is the maximum safe working level recommended for an 8 hour working day in industry.

2.0% - Lung ventilation increases by 50%. Accumulation of CO2 in the body will disturb body function by causing the tissue fluids to become too acidic.  

3.0% - Lung ventilation increases by 100%. Prolonged exposure will cause dizziness, headaches and possibly vision disturbance.

4.5% is approximately the carbon dioxide content of exhaled breath. From this follows if the inhaled gas contains already 5% you're uptaking CO2 instead of getting rid of it.

10% and more - Will cause in a few minutes unconsciousness and suffocation without warning.

Conclusion: Adding 5% carbon dioxide to the mixture to breath in is either a scheme of Dr. Mengele or an unforgivable typo.
In either way, it makes the whole article and its conclusions worthless.

smokin

I agree.  Something fishy with 5% CO2.  At that level you are changing blood pH and I doubt you could physically tollerate breathing it in.  I have used 5% CO2 in my tissue culture incubators and getting a wiff of the chamber instantly makes you gag.  The feeling is similar to taking a sip from a glass of corbonated beverage and having a slug of the CO2 hit your airways.

-P.
IP Logged
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 9:31am »

Otakuhousesan,

Interesting study the folks at UCLA conducted, but be careful not to mix apples and oranges...  or to site one study supporting one thesis when there may be many others supporting a similar but opposite thesis.  In this particular case, there is no question that elevating or depressing the partial pressures of O2 and CO2 in the arterial blood flow (hyperoxia/hypoxia) and (hypercapnia/hypocapnia) have pronounced effects on cerebral blood flow.  

Physiology 101 will tell you that changing levels of O2 and CO2 work exactly opposite of each other as vasoactive substances when elevated above or depressed below normal levels.  O2 in elevated concentrations is a vasoconstrictor and CO2 is a vasodilator.  My knowledge of the endocrine system is dated and weak so there's no reason to doubt the statement that 100% oxygen could trigger a flood of hormones...  However, without any specific examples, it is difficult to say what hormones are involved or what effect they may have.

Having said that, I read the article you cited along with several references to it and there was a clear lack of statistically significant clinical study data to back up the claims.  The article also stated: "But no one has ever scanned patients' brains to examine how they respond to oxygen therapy."  This statement is clearly not true and it only indicates that professor Harper, MD and his team at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA ,who ran this study, did a poor job researching the topic.  It's either that or the good professor was out to capture new grant money to finance additional research.  Remember, some neurologists, in particular, noted university professors of neurology, tend to be egocentric and think very highly of themselves.  

I can show you several studies where a combination hyperoxia and hypercapnia (CO2 levels above normal) resulted in changes in cerebral blood flow. This was well documented with enhanced MRI cerebral imaging techniques in a 2003 study:  

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/95/6/2453#BIBL  

Figure 1. from this study shown below clearly illustrates the effects of 100% O2 and varying levels of CO2 on cerebral blood flow.  It also shows what will happen when an O2 non-rebreather mask inhalation valve malfunctions and exhaled breath enters the reservoir bag causing an elevated CO2 level in the bloodstream that prevents an abort.  In short, a relatively minor elevation of CO2 partial pressure in the blood stream totally negates the abortive effects of high concentrations of O2.

I can also show you additional studies that clearly illustrate that a combination hyperoxia and hyperventilation (hypocapnia) on 100% O2 results in a decrease cerebral vascular blood flow but an elevated level of oxygenation of brain tissue.  Please see:

http://www.cja-jca.org/cgi/content/abstract/41/11/1041

Where the punch line reads: "We conclude that hyperoxia during acute hyperventilation in the anaesthetized patient improves oxygen delivery to the brain as measured by increased cerebral venous oxygen content and saturation."

Physiology 101 will also tell you that CO2 is the primary stimulus of respiration, not the partial pressure of oxygen.  "A minute increase of about 0.25 percent alveolar carbon dioxide will lead to a 100 percent increase in pulmonary ventilation rate."  (US Navy Flight Surgeon's Manual).

So, if you are using CPR to revive an hypoxic patient that has stopped breathing and the goal is to stimulate spontaneous respiration and heart beat, a mix of 2% to 4% CO2 and 98% to 96% Oxygen would likely be more effective than 100% Oxygen.

However, if you're trying to abort a cluster headache attack while fully conscious and breathing normally, 100% oxygen is far superior in bringing an end to the pain than air or any other mix of O2 and CO2.  

I hope this helps.

V/R, Batch
IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #11 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 9:54am »

Glad you came along on this one, Pete.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 9:59am »

I was about to say what Batch said...umm...yeah...and I had all the cool pictures too..........damn pete, you rock! bow

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #13 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 11:08am »

Quote:
they inhaled 100 per cent oxygen through a mouthpiece, and monitored their breathing and heart rates. After waiting eight minutes for the youngsters' breathing to return to normal, ...

"When the children inhaled pure oxygen, their breathing quickened,...

In the countless times I've used it, I am unaware of any abnormal or quickened breathing while using oxygen, and can readily fall asleep afterwards, in fact the major reason for cutting off the strap.
IP Logged
otakuhouse
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Feb 9th, 2008, 8:23pm »

just for the record...

i didn't post this at all in believing that pure o2 is bad for us. it most obviously is a massive and probably the best therapy for the majority of ch'ers.

what i am interested in is the hypothalamus and anything that would add to the literature of exactly what triggers it to have certain reactions. obviously very complicated.

given how little modern medicine can deal with nerves, it's my hope that someday we can isolate the trigger in the hypothalamus as opposed to taking a battery of meds that happen to coincidentally assist our condition.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 11:55am »

No worries. This is EXACTLY  the forum to post something like that article. It's how we invesigate new ideas, squelch incorrect information, and in doing so help a boat load of people! This provided a forum for some great discussions on oxygen! Wink

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #16 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 3:58pm »

Curry can have a bad effect on my arse.

Still works for me and so does O2 and CH.  

That I think is a more tenable link than anything this article has to do with O2 relieving a CH attack.
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #17 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 4:32pm »

I'm surprised no body commented on this: "Three brain structures suddenly lit up: the hippocampus, which helps control blood pressure; the cingulate cortex, which regulates pain perception and blood pressure; and the insula, which monitors physical and emotional stress." I think it is a great article. We need to learn more how these complex parts of the brain and associated chemicals and hormones help, harm, or cause our condition. I don't think the pure 02 is doing any harm to mainly healthy adults using it for short periods of time. The interesting stuff is in the details!
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2008, 4:34pm by StressFree » IP Logged
superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 12:26am »

Odd I would see this today. I can relate to the part where is talks about speeding up hormone release. I know a bit about hormones and the effects in the body so today while I was working I notices I suddenly became very very "happy" without any apparent reason.

So I got to thinking why that would be. I am on a few medications that also change hormonal levels in my body but my last few doctors appointments have been cancelled due to the storms when have been having so I missed my treatments, which mean I should be less "happy" not more "happy" and suddenly out of no where.

Then I got to thinking about my cycle, when it started, and all of the "happiness sharing" or "bothering of my wife with my happiness" I've been doing lately.

I can honestly say I've never hit the O2 as hard as I am this cycle and I'm either having an attack and aborting it with as much O2 as I can or I am "bothering my wife".

From my experience I think there may be something to that part of the article.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss