Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 12:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Deep Brain Stimulation at Mayo Clinic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Deep Brain Stimulation at Mayo Clinic
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Deep Brain Stimulation at Mayo Clinic  (Read 467 times)
rannpas
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Deep Brain Stimulation at Mayo Clinic
« on: Feb 13th, 2008, 11:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone got any info on this Deep Brain Stimulation treatment at Mayo Clinic. I know it sounds pretty invasive, but if it works.  

Here are two articles on it:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2007-rst/4044.html
http://www.mayoclinic.org/deep-brain-stimulation/

According to the articles I have been reading they insert a rod into the brain, and there is a battery and control inserted under the skin on the chest. So how something triggers the device to emit an electrical shock.

Is this for real?
What the difference between this and beating my head... which is more or less bad for me over time.

I have been with the beast for longer than I can count, and I am not even sure when I am PF. I have not read everything here but I most of the treatments (meds) indicated I have been on. And as many have said - almost anything sounds good if it will KILL the ugly thing.

Tx
Perry
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

Re: Deep Brain Stimulation at Mayo Clinic
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 11:28pm »

Perry:

With the small number of DBS surgeries for CH, it's too early to say that this is an answer for us.  The possibilities for error or death are there too.

Speaking for myself, and myself only, I'd consider this just before I called Dr. Kevorkian to end it all for me.

That's my 2 cents.

Wishing you well,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 11:53pm »

Thats what I want a rod in the brain. Grin Grin
bWWHaAAAa!!
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 12:19pm »

Perry
I checked into this a few years ago at the MAyo in AZ.  They said I was "qualified" to be seen and that I can schedule an appointment.  Only problem, is that I live in Philadelphia.  I then went into a long remission anyway.  However, if you are in that much pain, only you can say if its a good idea for you or  not.  If you do it, I wish you all the luck and I hope it works.
IP Logged
sfgirl69
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 12:54pm »

Hi Perry,  
Here is an actual video where you can watch the procedure. The patient is awake during the part where the hair thin electrodes are being placed in the brain. I feel that the drugs I seem doomed to take for the rest of my life are more invasive to my body then a one time surgery. I have not read of anyone dying from this surgery. But any surgery has it's risks. The patients they have tested it on for CH which is very very few seem to go into remission right away and only get hit when they turn OFF the system. It has a remote control that comes with it. This type of procedure is being used for several different neurological conditions from Parkinson’s to depression to OCD.

Check out the OR Live site and watch and see what you think is best for yourself.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjtgRKKf5EQ

Best
SFGIRL69
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 1:13pm »

Here are some articles/abstracts related to DBS:

http://www.ouch-us.org/chgeneral/surgery/dbs.htm

and yes there has been at least one death attributed to this surgery.  

IP Logged
Globi
New Board Newbie
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 23rd, 2008, 3:15am »

Yes. Somebody did die of this operation.....in Belgium. Its a risk you take  undergoing operations like this. I have seen this procedure before on  TV and it looks terrible. It's not about pain  but (for me) the idea that there is a wire in your brain. Next to this you cannot move for hours.....but you are awake and very well aware that if things go wrong the consequences could be life changing in a negative way. Like loosing the ability to speak or worse.

Next to DBS the Mayo Clinic was busy researching occipital nerve stimulation.....did they stop doing that? ONS looked like a pretty good and less invasive procedure.
IP Logged
gore2424
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Camero's "RULE"

52473361 52473361   gore2424   gore2424
Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23rd, 2008, 2:47pm »

Dr Dudley Davis mentioned in the article did my operation in May 2002 where they went inside skull and cut the right side trigeminal nerve which I only got a little over 4 months relief. I am kinda maybe looking into this to help me with these damn clusters atlest right now I kinda have them kinda in control with my current meds but I do take a lot of naps. Terry
IP Logged

what the hamsalad was that ¿?¿
I said your hair looks nice Ü
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss