Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 3:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Medicines which do NOT knock you down... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Medicines which do NOT knock you down...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Medicines which do NOT knock you down...  (Read 404 times)
washed-out
New Board Newbie
Poland 

:]

Medicines which do NOT knock you down...
« on: Feb 19th, 2008, 1:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey. I apologize for making another topic (don't know if I've used good words in the Subject Tongue). I have been browsing sites about CH for few weeks and I got pretty important question, as I am visiting my doctor on Thursday.

I am very frustrated after one month with Isoptin... I know that each medicine works different for each patient and it brings different side effects... But well you know that after Verapamil your BP can go pretty low (which makes you very weak), while after ergotamine+caffeine it will go high and you can feel pretty "powerful".  

So what's my point? If you can, just tell me, from your own experience, which medicines don't bring those side effects that often (weakness etc.). Both, abortative and preventative (but preventative is more important for me). I wouldn't care that much about being sleepy all the day, but I have lessons almost everyday and it's like vicious circle at the moment.

Important points:
1. I have already tried Dihydroergotamine, Caffecorn (Caffergot?) - ergotamine+caffeine), Verapamil;
2. I can't use Imitrex, nor steroids like Prednisone.
3. I know about Oxygen but it's still an open issue...
4. At the moment I am thinking about TOPAMAX...

Thanks in advance...
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2008, 1:16pm by washed-out » IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Medicines which do NOT knock you down...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 1:47pm »

Individual reports about individual drugs will give you such limited, non-representative information that you could not be well guided by the responses. You need large base statistics which you can get from publications such as, Physicians Desk Reference, which a good library should have. Or ask your druggist for suggestions about reference books to consult.

Basically, you want a list of side effects which reflect the experience of thousands of people, data obtained in the course of testing these medications.  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 4:18pm »

Can't really help you out there.  I use O2 to abort and Kudzu + Taurine supplements as a prevent.  They do not "knock me down" at all.  I actually like the fact that I can function pretty well while being on them.

BTW, why is Oxygen still an open issue with you?  Why have you not tried it yet?  Just curious...
IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 5:15pm »

I'm in law enforcement so I am very limited as to what I can have in my system and still function while armed.  

As scary as it sounds, lithium, at 1200 mg a day, has turned out to be my silver bullet. If I am religous about avoiding my triggers, alcohol, sleep disruptions etc., it will block 80-90% of my headaches. This really reduces how much 02 and imitrex I end up using.  

It makes you a little lethargic the first 1-2 weeks, and you pee a lot at first. It takes 10-14 days to build up to a therapeudic level in your system, I use a prednisone taper during that time period while i wait for it to kick in.

The county signed off on it, it's kept me employed in and out of cycle. Might be worth considering. It's supposed to be more effective for chronics then for episodics, I'm episodic and it works like a charm for me. Good luck!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss