Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 1:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil and Topamax combo? Your experiences? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil and Topamax combo? Your experiences?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil and Topamax combo? Your experiences?  (Read 5239 times)
Major_Headcase
New Board Veteran

Verapamil and Topamax combo? Your experiences?
« on: Feb 26th, 2008, 11:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My new neuro wants to add Topamax to my Verapamil (currently at 960mg/day) for preventive purposes. He wants to keep the Verapamil at the same level, just ramp me up on Topamax to 100-200mg. I'm trying to decide if I should add the Topamax or not, here's why I'm thinking maybe not.

I recently started using O2 as an abortive and it works great to abort my CH but I've been getting some "re-attacks" ... I'm episodic with relatively mild case of CH, usually with a 2 month cycle, and I'm just starting month three with a new pattern since starting O2 - used to have just one attack in the evening 2-4 times a week [kip 6-7] but with the O2 I've gone to 2-3 [kip 3-5 depending on how soon I get on the O2] nightly attacks and occuring later at night [though that seems to be getting better, attacks now in late evening allowing me to sleep instead of all post-midnite hits].

My job requires clear thinking and a few family members, both migraine sufferers, said Topamax deserves its nickname Dopamax for its impact on their thinking processes.

So I'm trying to decide whether the possible benefits of adding Topamax are worth the potential side effects risks. At this point in my cycle [hopefully towards the end but not sure] and with the lighter, but more frequent, kip level attacks, I'm kind of leaning towards taking a 'wait and see' approach before adding Topamax. I'm not doing too bad at the moment, but the possibility of being PF is hard to resist. Is this a standard combo I shouldn't be worried about trying or not? If you've combined large doses of Verapamil and Topamax, please let me know your experience.

-John
IP Logged
NJRik
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

Re: Verapamil and Topamax combo? Your experiences?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26th, 2008, 3:09pm »

John,  

I'm on both but I only take 240mg of Verap and 100mg of dopymax a day. This seems to work for me. I was at 200mg of Topamax and man it can make you feel like a fool, but did seem to stop my last cycle. Still O2 stopped just the Beast when hits came.
IP Logged

Live well - Laugh often - Love Much
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 6:50am »

My wife called it "swiss cheese brain", but it passed after about 2-3 weeks - I've been on Tmax for a while now, no side effects anymore, I say any short term memory loss is a function of my age (approaching 50), not the drugs ---- the side effects get better, but you have to weigh the whether you can wait it out, in terms of your lifestyle, I have a physician friend w/ clusters who could not.
IP Logged
LarryM
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 11:53pm »

Google in Topomax - problems with - and then ask if after eight weeks and no significant improvement if he or she is willing to discontinue or would like to have you keep going for a year.Ask if they are aware of any side effects or onging studies or current recommendation by the FDA. Be careful.
IP Logged
billyjoe
New Board Veteran
USA 

Go Red Sox!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 2:56pm »

I thought the combo worked pretty good, but I could only deal with 50 mg.  At 75mg, it started to bother me, specificaly, the tingles.

IP Logged
washed-out
New Board Newbie
Poland 

:]

« Reply #5 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 3:22pm »

on Feb 29th, 2008, 6:50am, lennycohen wrote:
My wife called it "swiss cheese brain", but it passed after about 2-3 weeks - I've been on Tmax for a while now, no side effects anymore, I say any short term memory loss is a function of my age (approaching 50), not the drugs ---- the side effects get better, but you have to weigh the whether you can wait it out, in terms of your lifestyle, I have a physician friend w/ clusters who could not.

It's a bit offtopic but I am thinking about those side effects of Topamax... I am taking only 25mg atm (just starting) and attacks are less painful ("mild"Wink but I feel tired whole day (but not as much as after some other meds). On other hand during first days I had to 'pee' almost 20 times per day and drink up to 6litres but now it seems to be OK. So maybe the rest of side effects will also eventually disappear.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 3:33pm »

was dumb as a rock
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Major_Headcase
New Board Veteran

« Reply #7 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:36am »

Thanks for all the replies ... my attacks have been less intense and more manageable as my O2 usage continues [God Bless O2!] ... and as I hope I'm nearing the end of this cycle, I've decided to NOT add Topamax to the Verapamil ... unless things take a turn for the worse, I'm going to stick with what I'm on for the time being.

There really is no good time of year at work for me to be a 'box of rocks' ... I'll have to ask my neuro for other options if push comes to shove with the beast.

Thanks again for your feedback.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 4:46pm »

on Mar 1st, 2008, 3:33pm, E-Double wrote:
was dumb as a rock

And now you're better?
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Ace
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 6th, 2008, 12:52pm »

On Verpaimil and Indral. Never felt better. O2 as well
IP Logged

My Head Hurts Too
richcurtin
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Mar 8th, 2008, 2:44am »

Topamax bad, very bad. I took it for two months. I got a terrible brain fog, balance problems, carpal tunnel like pain in both wrists, speech impediment, unable to recall words, skin tingled, face drooped and i want pale. Everyone kept telling me how awful I looked. It did nothing at all to the headaches.  

I wanted it to work, I believed it would. My Neuro had me convinced it would help.  

Also a woman I work with took it for a year for essential tremors. It helped with her tremors, but she had to stop taking it because of the brain fog.
IP Logged
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 8th, 2008, 4:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I agree with all said here.  Topamax will dumb you down very quickly and for me the side effects have not worn off that fast.  I am still titrating up to 200mg and the headache have improved but not nearly enough. My head is in a fog and I could sleep all day.  One other problem I have my days and nights mixed up.  Hate the stuff.
Not good if you need to focus at work!!! As do most of us. Cry
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss