Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 8:12pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hair loss from Lithium? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hair loss from Lithium?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hair loss from Lithium?  (Read 638 times)
JJM25
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hair loss from Lithium?
« on: Mar 6th, 2008, 2:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am new to the board, a 25 year CH sufferer.  A neurologist mentioned CH 25 years ago when they first started but back then the therapies were basically the same as migraine. I didn't pay much attention to that Dx and every 12-18 months I was hit with a 30 day bout of what I thought were migraines until 2 years ago when I did some research on my own and discovered I had classic CH. The only addition was the nausea and vomiting (which is how my body reacts to excruciating pain) and my IM Dr wasn't convinced. I researched a local Dr who used to specialize in it and he was able to help my dr understand and properly treat the Dx.  

The prednisone taper worked well and I thought I would never suffer again.......this past August they began again and have continued to return each time I weaned off prednisone.  Lithium was started two months ago and seemed to do the trick until I contracted pneumonia and the headaches were triggered once again.  They just increased the dose to 300 mg tid.  Verapamil did nothing and they even tried 1200 mg total per day.

The disappointment is the tremendous thinning of my hair...on top of all the body swelling and weight gain I had from prednisone, being on of and on for over six months.  

Has anyone else experienced hair loss from these medications?  My doctor called in a shampoo to use at night and also recommended Minoxidil in the morning.  Obviously I would rather live with thinning hair and without headaches - but I wondered how common this is?  My Dr didn't seem to have any patients who suffered that side effect, but then I am only one of four women CH patients in his total of CH sufferers. Undecided
IP Logged

Above all things, be the heroine of your life and not the victim~Nora Ephron
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

Re: Hair loss from Lithium?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2008, 3:13pm »

I believe that's called old age and bad genes. I've never heard of any of the meds taken by CH sufferers causing hair loss.

I've taken 900 mg of lithium every day for the last 6 years, I'm 47, and I still have a full head of hair. I thank my mother's father for that.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
JJM25
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Mar 6th, 2008, 3:32pm »

Well, it is definitely not old age, being a 44 year old female who had perfectly normal hair until two months ago.
IP Logged

Above all things, be the heroine of your life and not the victim~Nora Ephron
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 6th, 2008, 3:38pm »

Old age is a relative term, dear. Most guys who lose their hair show some significant hair loss by your age. I don't know how it works for the gals, but there is a percentage of women whose hair thins as they grow old. Not sure when that usually happens in the life cycle.

None of this includes the disease alopecia. All bets are off when it comes to alopecia. I have an aunt who lost every single strand of hair on her body - eyebrows, eyelashes, everything - in the 9th grade, never to return.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 6th, 2008, 7:34pm »

A lot of things can cause hair loss, from long term stress to lack of vitamins to aneamia to hormone changes to scalp disease .... You will need to have them looked at and ruled out if possible.

Hair loss is a rare side effect of Lithium. I have come across some old case reports on it. Lithium can cause hypothyroidism which can lead to hairloss. Its worth getting your thyroid checked.  

The case reports all said if hairloss is due only to Lithium, it will stop and hair will grow back when its stopped.  

Good luck !  

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
av8r3400
New Board Newbie
USA 

Still Alive and Kickin'

« Reply #5 on: Mar 6th, 2008, 8:24pm »

I've been mostly bald since I was 20, so the meds don't have any effect there for me.   I was hoping for hair growth, but...  Cry

However, I do feel your pain about the prednisone.  Acne, bloating, joint pain, and all the rest are comon on Prednisone (for me at least).

Have you tried Imitrex for an abortive treatment?  O2?  These may allow for a lightening of some of the other meds and their side effects.
IP Logged

Av8r3400

Episodic for over 20 years
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 4:43pm »

I took 900mg of lithium and had experienced some slight hair loss while on it for 2 years.  Since it cut the number of ha in half and greatly reduced the pain level it was worth it to me.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
cash5542
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

cash5542

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 9:14pm »

My 22 yr old daughter has pretty severe asthma as well as CH.The drugs have really been hard on her beautiful shoulder lenghth hair. 16 mos. of continuous prednsione was the first one. You could see it in the shower, bathroom floor and her brush. Depekote was no better. She doesn't take lithium so I can't speak for that. She has been off both drugs and it's slowly coming back but not like it was. She uses Nioxin shampoo and Redken protein treatments. Biotin in vitamins is also helpful. Thanks for your suggestions too.

Charlotte
IP Logged
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 9:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I know hair loss is very common side effect of topomax and depakote.  Both used to treat cluster headaches and migraines.  Not sure about Lithium but should be easy to find out.  Good luck.  
We women Like our hair even when it is sore as the devil from a headache!!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss