Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 5:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Torodal, Phenergan, Reglan »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Torodal, Phenergan, Reglan
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Torodal, Phenergan, Reglan  (Read 10113 times)
jdlfd03
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Torodal, Phenergan, Reglan
« on: Mar 9th, 2008, 5:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello everyone, i suffer from atypical cluster headache.(episodic) Finally diagnosed about two years ago.  Always thought it was just sinus problems, but ENT finally sent me to Neurologist. Symptoms are terrible pain behind right eye. Stuffy nose on same side. Eye tearing and droopiness on same side. I know you all have probably heard this same story a hundred times, but I wanted to give you a history before posting.  
 I'm on Verapamil 480/day. Elavil 50/day.  
  My headaches are always at least 2 hours minimum in duration.  Sometimes last up to 8 hrs. unless aborted.
 ER visits were always Heavy Narcotics (Diladid) spelling ?
 Even at very high doses, this would not abort it.
 This never worked, severeness seemed to be escalating.  Finally, Neuro gave me an ER prescription for Torodal 30mg., Phenergan 25mg, and Reglan 10mg.  This cocktail when given IV has proven to be the best abortive mix I have had.  Sometimes O2 works but not often. No luck with the triptans.
  You may already have this mix posted somewhere on this   forum, but I could not find it.  I've been reading this site for a year or so and find it very helpful and supportive.  Sorry such a long post, but who knows maybe this cocktail will help some of you....
IP Logged
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

Re: Torodal, Phenergan, Reglan
« Reply #1 on: Mar 9th, 2008, 9:30pm »

outside of verapmil, I never heard of the other things you are taking.  I have gone as high as 1200mg of verapamil, so its possible for you to increase.  Have you tried it with lithium?
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 9th, 2008, 10:33pm »

Toradol is an NSAID that is really rough on the stomach.  I was given Toradol following a bowel resection in 2000.  The stuff worked great!  Knocked out the pain like nothing else.  I could only use it for 5 days though.  After that there is risk of severe stomach bleeding.

The Phenergran and Reglan are anti-nausea and heartburn meds that help ward off some of the effects of the Toradol.

Based on what I was told then and looked up now on rxlist, I'd be nervous using this over an extended period.

Having said that it sounds like nothing much else works for you.  So I'm glad you found some relief even if it takes a trip to the ER to get it.

If you find you have symptoms of stomach ulcer, it could be overuse of Toradol.

Good luck...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
cash5542
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

cash5542

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 7:04am »

Your iv mixture is the exact same thing they used to do with my daughter when she went to the er. Dennis is right about the toridol. It worked so welll, stopped a hit almost instantly but her doctor would only use it 3 days maximum. It's not designed for long term use.They used to put the o2 on while the toridol was kicking in. I know you've been probably asked this a bunch but are you using the o2 at a high enough regulation? The hospital usally set it at the standard 4 liters per min. until I asked to bring it up. That was the difference in the effectiveness. Once she got that going high enough, she was able to stop the iv drugs. I hope you find the answer soon!

Charlotte
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2008, 7:05am by cash5542 » IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 8:19am »

The inappropriate quality of these meds surely suggests a neuro without experience in treating complex headache disorders.  

Two links: first, showing current treatments used for CH. If you have a doc who is not working in this area, I'd be seriously asking, Why not?

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
 ==========
If you wish to look for another doc:

1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. http://www.achenet.org  On-line screen to find a physician.

5. http://www.headaches.org/consumer/index.html Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder"Wink which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 8:24am »

on Mar 9th, 2008, 10:33pm, DennisM1045 wrote:

The Phenergran and Reglan are anti-nausea and heartburn meds that help ward off some of the effects of the Toradol.

Based on what I was told then and looked up now on rxlist, I'd be nervous using this over an extended period.

Having said that it sounds like nothing much else works for you.  So I'm glad you found some relief even if it takes a trip to the ER to get it.

If you find you have symptoms of stomach ulcer, it could be overuse of Toradol.

Good luck...

-Dennis-

Dennis there's good advice there.  There is evidence that Phenergan in particular can play a role in controlling cluster, many times phenergan or reglan is given along with  a narcotic to prevent nausea.  Some discussions with Dr. Bigal in 2003 indicated that it's likely the anti-emetic (phenergan) and not the narcotic that is acting on the cluster.

Until we know what causes these things for certain, there will never be a single thing that gives each of us releif.  In the mean time, if it works, use it.

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 4:28pm »

on Mar 10th, 2008, 8:24am, catlind wrote:

Dennis there's good advice there.  There is evidence that Phenergan in particular can play a role in controlling cluster, many times phenergan or reglan is given along with  a narcotic to prevent nausea.  Some discussions with Dr. Bigal in 2003 indicated that it's likely the anti-emetic (phenergan) and not the narcotic that is acting on the cluster.

Until we know what causes these things for certain, there will never be a single thing that gives each of us releif.  In the mean time, if it works, use it.

Cat

Phenergan and Reglan are also given mixed in a DHE IV drip.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss