Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 6:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « ANYONE HAVE SUCCESS WITH NEURONTIN? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   ANYONE HAVE SUCCESS WITH NEURONTIN?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ANYONE HAVE SUCCESS WITH NEURONTIN?  (Read 1516 times)
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

ANYONE HAVE SUCCESS WITH NEURONTIN?
« on: Mar 15th, 2008, 9:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In the past I have tried Verepamil, fist time with no luck and then last year. It put so much pressure on my chest and felt like my heart was one beat away from stopping. I have also tried Dopeamax (the name says it all!) and Depakote which worked great until last year. Went to the doc yesterday and asked about Olanazapine because it is one of the preventatives mentioned in Todd Rozen's review. He said Neurontin was the same thing, I said great lets give it a try.  

I have been looking on the net today and I am not seeing any info that the two are related. Am I missing something here? Also, has anyone had any luck with Neurontin? I started it last night and got my ass kicked with a K-10. I have only had a few of the big ones and this one was damn near the worst! Usually the big ones come on pretty quickly, peak for about 45 min. and then subside just as quickly. This one just kept going up and down, even after I used the Imitrex nasal spray. It then came back two hours later for an additional 20 min. ass beating. If the second hit would have been any longer I would have headed to the ER.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

Re: ANYONE HAVE SUCCESS WITH NEURONTIN?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 9:26pm »

Took it for about 4 months almost 10 years ago. Made me stupid. Stupid with cluster headaches.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 9:43pm »

Yes, I have noticed the stupid part already. That is the main reason I quit Topamax, it made me DANGEROUSLY STUPID and seemed to make my headaches worse! I read that this drug is in the same family as Topamax and I am wondering now if it is going to effect me the same. I wonder if that is why my HA was so bad last night.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 9:46pm »

Neurontin is an anti-seizure med given primarily to epileptics.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
pierrejill
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 9:50pm »

Neurontin is gabapentin...not olanzapine.  

Not that this helps with your initial question, but I was just doing the same research to arm myself at the next doctor's appt.
IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 9:51pm »

it eased the general pain a little for me but didn't stop the hits, and really affected my emotions.

Pete/Batch has had some good luck with it, several times.

Charlotte
IP Logged
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Mar 19th, 2008, 6:24am »

I titrated up to 3200 of Neurontin with no success, made me far dumber than Topamax, which actually worked for me (for about two years, just quit, actually)
IP Logged
MikeS
New Board Newbie

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 1:18am »

Neurontin cut my attacks form about 5 a day to maybe 2 or 3. It worked for 3 years.  After titrating to the max dose my Neuro thought appropriate, it worked for about a year. Then it slowly became less helpful. I have been on methadone for 5 years. I still get 4-6 attacks each week, however they are about 1/2 as painful.  The attacks peak much slower and after 10 years I am able to work 35-45 hours a week. I realize that a lot of CH sufferers don't respond well to opiate type meds. They have worked very well for me and have virtually no side effects (My Dr very very slowly increase dosage and after 6 months My CH attacks started to decrease very quickly and have stayed almost bearable even after decreasing dosage a couple times.  Mike
IP Logged

manicmechanic
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 9:53pm »

My husband had good success with it. He tolerated Neurontin at 1800 mg per day and it really reduced the intensity of the hits as well as the overall number of hits.  

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 10:54pm »

on Mar 15th, 2008, 9:21pm, Trooper wrote:
In the past I have tried Verepamil, fist time with no luck and then last year. It put so much pressure on my chest and felt like my heart was one beat away from stopping. I have also tried Dopeamax (the name says it all!) and Depakote which worked great until last year. Went to the doc yesterday and asked about Olanazapine because it is one of the preventatives mentioned in Todd Rozen's review. He said Neurontin was the same thing, I said great lets give it a try.  

I have been looking on the net today and I am not seeing any info that the two are related. Am I missing something here? Also, has anyone had any luck with Neurontin? I started it last night and got my ass kicked with a K-10. I have only had a few of the big ones and this one was damn near the worst! Usually the big ones come on pretty quickly, peak for about 45 min. and then subside just as quickly. This one just kept going up and down, even after I used the Imitrex nasal spray. It then came back two hours later for an additional 20 min. ass beating. If the second hit would have been any longer I would have headed to the ER.

Neurontin and Zyprexa (olanzapine) are not the same thing. Neurontin is an anti-seizure med, and Zyprexa is an anti-psychotic. Neurontin and Topomax are also 2 different classes of drugs, according to my latest visit to my doc a few weeks ago, although this article says different. They both threat  epilepsy, and off label use for CH and migraines.

http://headaches.about.com/cs/druginfo/a/neurontin_deb.htm

Here is some info about olanzapiine, this website is maintained by a member here.

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Olanzapine

Also, see the links in kcopelin's thread about finding info on olanzapine. Here's one, and it pretty much sums up the other links.

http://www.ouch-us.org/medications/zyprexa.htm

Neurontin for me was like taking Topomax for many others. I lost about half my IQ points, and short term memory loss was so bad, I had to stop taking it. I almost lost my job. Topomax didn't have those effects on me, although it didn't help my headaches either.

These meds have to build up in your system to be effective, so although it may be possible it had something to do with that hit, it is unlikely. Everyone is different.

Zyprexa (olanzapine) works as an abortive. The usual starting dose is 5 mg. I have 10 mg tablets that I break in half, and they stop a hit for me in about 10 minutes. They do make me tired, but will kill a hit pretty damn quick, so it's worth it to me. I use them when the trex has stopped working, when I'm in a high killer cycle, and I've been through a round or two of pred. These hits come on about every 90 minutes, and the shadows are kip 7's and 8's, so I don't use the trex until I actually get hit with a 9 or 10. When this happens, O2 doesn't help me. A pred taper will give me relief for a few days, but when the hits start up again like that, I use the olanzapine. It kills the hits, let's me sleep, and to me, it seems to slow them down somewhat.

edited to add: You may want to print out the info on the 2 drugs and give them to your doc. It is irresponsible of him to tell you that Neurontin and Zyprexa are the same thing. They are not even close.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2008, 10:56pm by purpleydog » IP Logged

Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 8:36pm »

Quote:
Am I missing something here?

I was being some what of a smart ass when I asked the question. I was pretty pissed at the doc. for this bit of mis-information.  Angry

I have to give the guy a pass on this though. In the conversation we discussed Topamax, Depakote, Nuerontin and Olanzapine. I think he may have gotten confused with what I was asking. Topamax and Nuerontin are both anticonvulsant drugs with Nuerontin being an analgesic as well. I think the Olanzpine just got lost somewhere in the conversation. He is the only doc. I have ever seen pull out a PDR during a visit and discuss different treatment options. When I went to see him last week and asked him about the Rhodiola, he pulled out the Herbal PDR. I never even knew there was such a thing! I have actually become quite impressed with him  Roll Eyes He is not a drug pusher and I love the fact he is willing to think outside the box.  

When I tried Topamax, I stayed with it for a month. It seemed to make my ha's worse and I became really stupid. Three days of the same with Neurotin and one killer K10 was all I needed to know this was not the option for me.  

Thanks for the info on the Olanzapine/Zyprexa. I thought you could use this as a preventative though? Either way it is good stuff to know. I always worry about what I am gonna do if the Trex stopps working.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 8:44pm »

WHAT?....CANT HEAR YA!.....LOL  Wink
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

kimh
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

What don't kill ya makes ya stronger

Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 4:53pm »

Nope. I think it's a nuther one of them drugs the drug companies get out through docs  and we are the piggly wigglies.

Yep.  It makes ya stupid.  I kept forgetting if i "took my medicine" LOL.  Once i backed the car into a pole....etc.  I hate that crap.  Matter of fact, there ain't any medicine to date i can back for effective preventative for clusters.  It all sucks in my opinion and will make ya sicker.  But, folks keep getting richer, and on it goes.

I firmly believe that if ya go the way these docs want ya to go, yu'll definitly be chronic.

Frozen peas, o2 and whatever jig gets ya by.  Then....it's DONE.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss