Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 5:16pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « To hell with the scripts! Here's what I'm thinkin. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   To hell with the scripts! Here's what I'm thinkin.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: To hell with the scripts! Here's what I'm thinkin.  (Read 1110 times)
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

To hell with the scripts! Here's what I'm thinkin.
« on: Mar 16th, 2008, 12:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The Nuerotin the doc perscribed friday isn't going to work. I have been unable to find any information that proves it to be a good preventative and so far all it has done is made me loopy.  

I am going to give the Rhodiola a try. Also, I have seen many post on Calcium and Magnesium so I looked it up in my Nutritional Healing book. They suggest 2000 mg of Calium and 1000 mg of Magnesium. I also figure I will try the Taurine, 1000mg in the AM and 2000mg in the afternoon.  

Due to the Rhodiola(Rose Root) should I stop with the Melatonin? I know that both of these suppliments have been shown to increase serotonin levels and I don't want to over do it. Any suggestions here??
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

Re: To hell with the scripts! Here's what I'm thin
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 12:59pm »

My results using melatonin have really been mixed over the years, so I'm a little reluctant to give it a thumbs up or down, especially in combination with rhodiola.  I applaud your trying out this herb, though.  I would only suggest that you give it try alone, so that you can see how it works without wondering if the melatonin was part of the results.  Then if you don't get the results you were hoping for, start adding melatonin into the mix.  If you keep notes on how much you take and the results, you could be adding valuable data to the arsenal for all of us.  Keep us posted, and good luck trying this.

-Patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 1:21pm »

Patti, Thanks for your reply. I tried Melatonin in 06 and it really seemed to work but did not seem so effective last year. I started back on Melatonin on the 4th @ 900 mg. and I have still been hit every night. I upped it to 1200 mg. last night and it seemed to just delay the ha by 2hrs. I have really been having a problem with it this time around. Usually I will wake up at the first twinge of the beast but with the Melatonin, I don't wake up until it is in full swing, usually around a Kip 5 or so, at this point it is almost impossible to abort. When you couple this with the Nuerotin, I feel like a Zombie.
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 4:16pm »

Hi Trooper,

Sorry to hear things continue to be rough for you right now.  

It took me about 5-6 days to adjust after each step when titrating up to 900mg.  The drug didn't work for me and I never got completely over that 2 martini buzz.  But I gave it a full month before calling the experiment a failure.

I hate to see someone give up on a med before seeing if it'll really work or not.  Of course you need to be the judge of what is right for you.

Check your numbers on Melatonin.  I believe you are off by a factor of 100  (9mg and 12mg vs 900mg and 1200mg).  Of course that could just be the Neurontin Wink

The Calcium, Magnesium and Taurine numbers you list look right to me.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.  

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
HeadhurtinMama
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I'll be just peachy when it quits hurting!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 7:32pm »

I have never tried Neurontin, but have had success with Carbatrol and verapamil as my primary preventives.  Carbatrol is a time released form of tegretol, another seizure drug.  I know this drug is used more for trigeminal neuralgia, but it works for me.  Finding the right med is a long a painful road, but sometimes you luck out and find the right one.

Bridget
IP Logged

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are
Wake me up when September ends
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 8:25pm »

Neurontin worked very well for my husband, whose last cycle went on for 8 months and nothing else was working. It didnt start working until he got to 1800 mg and it worked well at 2400 mg. He didnt have much side effects apart from drowsiness.

If you are going to supplement with Ca, Mg and Taurine, be careful about electrolyte imbalances. A quick blood test for kidney/liver function and electrolyte levels may help rule out any potential problems. These electrolytes are active chemicals in your blood and too much or too little of them can cause major problems, including heart and muscle problems.  

If you take 3000 mg Taurine a day, you should be avoiding energy drinks that contains extra taurine.  

Please remember that all so called "natural" meds and supplements can and do have serious side effects. They have to be taken with caution.

Good luck and painfree wishes to you.

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 10:42pm »

I'll second Annette about electrolytes.  When I heard about energy drinks with Taurine  and caffeine I thought I would add taurine to my daily supplement cocktail.  
I added a 500mg taurine supplement at night with my 9mg melatonin and B-complex vitamins.  I was still using 2-3 energy drinks during the day/eve with coffee.  After three days I started getting terrible "charlie horses" in my calfs and neck.  I was drinking about 3 liters of water each day with a pinch of sea salt added to replace electrolytes.
Any way I stopped the Taurine at night and cut back to 1 or 2 energy drinks as needed each day and upped the coffee intake ALOT.  After a week I still had the neck cramps (possible result of tension from CH hits) but the leg cramps went away.

I have learned that I need to add or remove new "meds" one at a time so I can pin point any new reactions.  If I shotgun several new approaches at the same time I will never figure out what works and what doesn't.  

Some medication will take a while to work into your system before you notice any results.  Don't discount things too quickly.  A negative attitude never helped me either, keep your head up.  You will survive!!!

As always discuss ANY dosage changes or new approaches with your Dr. before you attempt them.

(This is my personal experience. I am not a Dr.)
IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 12:13pm »

Regarding the magnesium and calcium. Since adding those to my daily regimen, at the advice of the neuro, many years ago, my cycles have been less frequent and less severe. Several have posted similar results, certainly worth a try.

My neuro also had me add B-2, 250 mg a day the same time I started the calcium/magnesium routine.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 8:27pm »

My understanding is No energy drinks but coffie is ok. I went to the vitamine shop yesterday and picked up the supplements. The reccomended doses on the Calcium and Magnesium are actually a little higher than what my nutritional healing book states but I think I will stay with what my book says. I actually got Calcium Citrate because the lady at the store told me it absorbs more readily. Does anyone know if that is ok? I quit with the Melatonin (been taking it since 3-05-08 with no reliefe) and switched to the Rhodiola being both suppliments do the same thing. Forehead and cheeks have been a little flushed today but other than that all is ok.
IP Logged
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 8:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Keep us posted how the Rhodiola works for you and best of luck!
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 9:52pm »

on Mar 17th, 2008, 8:27pm, Trooper wrote:
I actually got Calcium Citrate because the lady at the store told me it absorbs more readily. Does anyone know if that is ok?

Hi Trooper,
I've always heard that calcium citrate is one of the more absorbable forms of calcium.  I've taken calcium supplements for years to keep my bones strong.  My doctor told me that magnesium, potassium, and vitamin D are needed in order for calcium to be utilized.  If you're otherwise healthy without electrolyte imbalances, any extra calcium you can't absorb will just be eliminated.  If you're eating fresh fruits and vegies, especially things like bananas, oranges, and potatoes, you'll probably get enough potassium in your diet.  If you have a history of heart issues though, you need to get professional advice about electrolytes before you start taking any mega-doses.  Best wishes and good luck with the rhodiola.
-Patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 11:02pm »

Thanks for your imput. Overall I am healthy until I enter a cycle. I have decided to drink only coffee and water while in this cycle and I even put a little seasalt in my water tonight Wink I figure maybe I should add a little Gatorade as well. I go back to my PCP next mo. for a full physicial and I know he plans on doing blood work.  

As far as the Rhodiola goes, last night was not so bad. First hit came 2 hrs after sleep. I did what Paul said worked for him and dissolved 100mg. by tongue. It worked, the K-7 was gone in 10 min. I got hit again 2 hrs. later but it was not so bad either. Used the Triptan second time around because I had to get some sleep last night. The weekend was just pure hell for me.  I am going to keep a log and let yall know how it goes in a few days.
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 1:27am »

on Mar 17th, 2008, 11:02pm, Trooper wrote:

As far as the Rhodiola goes, last night was not so bad. First hit came 2 hrs after sleep. I did what Paul said worked for him and dissolved 100mg. by tongue. It worked, the K-7 was gone in 10 min. I got hit again 2 hrs. later but it was not so bad either.  
 The weekend was just pure hell for me.  I am going to keep a log and let yall know how it goes in a few days.

Thanks Trooper, will be a few of us waiting and watching I'm sure.
Takes guts sometimes to try new possibilities. Must be why your called Trooper.
Best of luck.
IP Logged

MJ
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss