Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 7:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « prednisone »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   prednisone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: prednisone  (Read 680 times)
alan
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

prednisone
« on: Mar 16th, 2008, 10:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

prednisone (60mg/day for 10 days) usually works for me. This time I stayed at 60mg for 22 days because every time I dropped to 45mg I got hit. Finally tapered down to zero but getting hit twice/day and am almost out of Trex. I'm going to start the full prednisone again tomorrow, wondering if any of you have experience taking this much prednisone for this long (I'm also taking 360mg verapamil but doesnt seem to be helping). any thoughts would be appreciated
IP Logged
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: prednisone
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 6:40am »

Perhaps start higher - 80 mgs for 2-3 days, then 60 for 2, then 40 for 2, etc, down for a full taper to see if that breaks the cycle, maybe 60 isn't a high enough dose to break your cycle - long term that high certainly isn't good. I think that Dr. Rozen's paper that Bob posts the link to says to start at 80.

Also, perhaps upping your Verapamil at the same time to get more preventative on board ---  

That's what comes to my mind
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 8:50am »

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 12:09pm »

Great advice above, I'll just add that whatever you do, work with your doctor. All meds come with risks, it's why you can't buy em over the counter at Wal Mart! Never increase or decrease your dosing without the advice of your doc. Wishing you some pain free time soon.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 2:45pm »

Pred rarely works for me, but this time I think it has.  In the past, my doc has put me on for a week and when I went back, since it didn't change anything, he put me on for another two weeks and then, if I remember correctly he kept me on it for about two months.  None of that worked that time, but the point is, he kept me on it for a long time.  It bloats you up, makes you nervous and makes you eat a lot.  I know some people who have been on it for many months at a time.  I hate the feeling it gives me, but........
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 5:28pm »

DO NOT START TAKING PREDNISONE AGAIN ON YOUR OWN NOR SHOULD YOU MESS WITH A TAPER WITHOUT DOC GUIDING YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is supposed to be a transitional med used while your preventative is titrating to a therapeutic level.

Your dosage is pretty low.

I'm not a doctor just your everyday dude with the same head pain.

Print out what Bob gave you and Make sure that your doctor KNOWS it.

Good luck
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Crappy
New Board Junior
USA 

__

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 5:49am »

I begged a neuro for some relief, and he gave me a 50-day infusion of 1gram prednisone, followed by a taper of pills.

Headaches disappeared on the second day of IVs, but my legs started to hurt like HELL and I couldn't walk.  He ended up cancelling the taper after the IVs ended.  However, after that (when the headaches returned 2 days later) each ha caused severe pain to shoot down my arm and leg on my pain side.  That pain was as bad as the CH pain, and he seemed clueless about it.

The arm/leg pain has gone mostly away, but if I overexert myself on any given day, then when my evening/night CH attacks hit I'm holding my eye, squeezing my arm, and rubbing my leg.  Three times the fun for the same low price.

So I second what E-Double said - don't screw with prednisone without your doctor's guidance and permission.  I wish to God I'd never touched it, but I guess my experience must be rare or prednisone wouldn'tt be so common here.
IP Logged

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence."
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 7:06am »

Several people have devloped avascular necrosis or tissue damage due to over/misuse.

It really is meant to be used as a short term med
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
alan
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 4:38pm »

Thanks for the help guys. Taking preed this long does worry me. My doc back home said up to 1 month should be OK - my first course was 3 weeks at 60mg/day (in the past pred usually effective for me using 10 day course then taper I'm a little desperate because I'm traveling thru South America with my 3 small kids and we have 1 month left and no imitrex (imitex PILLS cost $15/piece and of course take 1 hour for any relief at all, still its all I can get down here. So I started a 2nd course of pred yesterday, thinking 80mg 2 days, 70mg 2 days, 60mg 2 days then taper down. NO headache today but as soon as I begin taper I'll probably get hit again.
Note to all: do not leave North America without your full kit!! (I had needles stuck at customs in Ecuador for 2 weeks- ended up abandoning them ($500)

Again thanks guys, I couldn't survive without this site
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss