Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 2:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « SINUS BUSTER »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   SINUS BUSTER
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: SINUS BUSTER  (Read 5052 times)
MR_JESTER
New Board Newbie
USA 

Dance with the devil!

Email

SINUS BUSTER
« on: Mar 20th, 2008, 3:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I read about a sinus spray called sinus buster.  All natural and the main ingredient is "CAPSACIN". The stuff the makes peppers "hot."  It also has eucalyptus oil in it.  It took me two days, but I finally was able to locate a sore that carried it. I have been using it for 5 days, and it does actually seem to help.  You have to use it before you get a CH, so I use three sprays every 3 hours.  It burns like a DOG at first, but after a couple of days, it no longer burns.  Just a thought.
IP Logged

Make it idiot proof..
and someone will make
a better idiot!
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

Re: SINUS BUSTER
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 3:38pm »

on Mar 20th, 2008, 3:30pm, MR_JESTER wrote:
Hi,

I read about a sinus spray called sinus buster.  All natural and the main ingredient is "CAPSACIN". The stuff the makes peppers "hot."  It also has eucalyptus oil in it.  It took me two days, but I finally was able to locate a sore that carried it. I have been using it for 5 days, and it does actually seem to help.  You have to use it before you get a CH, so I use three sprays every 3 hours.  It burns like a DOG at first, but after a couple of days, it no longer burns.  Just a thought.

Dude that is hilarious. So you're just sitting around and suddenly you say, I think I'll take a hit of Sinusbuster because I MIGHT get a headache.  That is the stupidest thing I've seen today -- and I've seen some stupid stuff today.

I was about to leave my office for the weekend and always treasure reading something this goofy before I leave, as it'll make me laugh for a few days.

So do you even have cluster headache?

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 3:39pm »

Stop it. It's a scam. It's no more effective than colon cleansing.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 4:46pm »

Ignore Seasonal, he's clearly in a bad mood. While the ingredients in the spray do show a lot of promise in testing to actually interact with the functions of your nerves and aid in pain relief, in its current form it's only a mild distraction.

Guiseppi

PS: if you had read his earlier post he's volunteering to take a drug induced CH hit while undergoing a scan for research purposes. It appears he does have CH and is just trying to get questions answered.
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 4:52pm »

Okay, so in one post he's volunteering to take a drug induced CH hit for research. The next post he shares that he voluntarily takes Sinusbuster as a "preventative".  Not in a bad mood, just trying to figure out the story here. Maybe just a masochist looking for a home. There's enough pain in this community with volunteering for more.

Scott
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
MR_JESTER
New Board Newbie
USA 

Dance with the devil!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 6:37pm »

O.K.  Here is some history...

I have been a sufferer since 1976.  I am now 49 years. old and I have been through more clusters than alot of you I'm sure.

I'm willing to try pretty much anything to get rid of the pain.  If you don't understand that, I'm sorry.  You obviousely don't get it.

I am well educated, and I do know what I'm talking about, and I do my research before I try anything.

Capsacin is a neuroantagonist that blocks the absorption of "substance P" the pain transmitting hormone from one neuron to another.  

I am very lucky in the fact that I am a radiation safety officer at a hospital so I have access to all of the O2
I need.  I never said it stopped the headaches, I said it helps.  It probably is just a diversion, but if it helps me, it may help someone else, and I will share anything that may relieve someones elses grief.

You all have a nice day
IP Logged

Make it idiot proof..
and someone will make
a better idiot!
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 6:52pm »

A CH'er in the medical field, then we are doubly glad to have you. One more voice trumpeting in this lonely desert. It seems the toughest challenge we face around here is getting the word out to more doc's. Keep shouting in their ears for us! Wink

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 7:19pm »

I'll second Joe's comment on having a medical professional amongst us.  What flow rate are you using for your oxygen therapy?

V/R, Batch
IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
Pfunk
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 7:25pm »

I have to say that I too have tried just about everything to get even the least bit of relief  from this monster. About a week or two ago, my mothers friend told me about some special she saw on CBS about sinusbuster and CH. As I try just about anything, I got some. I of course was prepared for it not to work at all. Interestingly though it helped a little. As stated above, you have to take it before the CH occurs and it  helped to keep the headache away. However it does not work every time for me and you definitely don't want to take it during a hit as it extremely painful. As far as taking it every 3-4 hours, I just wait until I hopefully get a warning sign before shooting that stuff up my nose because it it feels like shoving a cayenne pepper right up the old schozz.
As with most other things, it may not help all sufferers. But if it helps just 1, I think all of us should be happy for that 1 person.

Pfunk
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 7:54pm »

Knock yourselves out.
IP Logged

mudplugga
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Clinging to the wreckage.

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 8:18pm »

From reading around various forums etc, I think there's a small herd of trolls promoting this stuff by claiming they have been miraculously cured.  

I might be wrong, but it seems like classic troll activity to me.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 8:24pm »

on Mar 20th, 2008, 6:37pm, MR_JESTER wrote:
I have been a sufferer since 1976.  I am now 49 years. old and I have been through more clusters than alot of you I'm sure.

LMMFAO.....  Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

MR_JESTER
New Board Newbie
USA 

Dance with the devil!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 11:01pm »

Hi again,

I want to apologize if I came across a little edgy earlier.
Bad day..nuff said..

In response to the support,  believe me, as a medical professional, I am constantly harping to anyone who will listen, and even some who won't about CH.  You would be surprised at how many licensed M.D.'s are so mis-informed.  

In response to the 02 LPM question.  I have always heard that 10-12LPM is he magic number, but that just doesn't work for me.  I seem to need 15LPM to due the trick, but if the episode is not aborted in 15minutes, I know I'm wasting my time and I turn it off.

Thanks for the great kinship, it means alot.
IP Logged

Make it idiot proof..
and someone will make
a better idiot!
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 12:02am »

I truly would drive a nail up my nose if I thought it would help.
Sorry I dont sniff anything no mo. I would mainline trex before I would sniff any sinus buster...he..he..he..
But you go right on ahead. Please be careful out there.
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Crappy
New Board Junior
USA 

__

« Reply #14 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 4:37am »

on Mar 20th, 2008, 3:39pm, brewcrew wrote:
Stop it. It's a scam. It's no more effective than colon cleansing.

Brew, are you saying Sinus Busters is NOT supposed to be used as a colon cleanse?  CRAP! I've been squirting that sh-- up my a-- every time I get a hit, and I haven't been able to walk straight in weeks!  It does; however, distract from the pan in my head and add some new moves to my famous kip 9 dance.
IP Logged

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence."
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #15 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 7:04am »

Distraction can be a good thing, I guess. Grin
IP Logged

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 7:26am »

Quote:
Capsaicin

Pain. 1994 Dec;59(3):321-5.

Preventative effect of repeated nasal applications of capsaicin in cluster headache.

Fusco BM, Marabini S, Maggi CA, Fiore G, Geppetti P.

Institute of Internal Medicine VI, University La Sapienza Rome, Italy.

Preliminary studies have shown that repeated nasal applications of capsaicin prevented the occurrence of cluster headache attacks. The present study was designed to verify the difference in efficacy of treatment with nasal capsaicin, depending on the side of application. Fifty-two patients affected by episodic form were divided into 2 groups, one receiving the treatment on the same side where the attacks occurred (ipsilateral side), the other on the controlateral side. Eighteen patients with a chronic form alternately received both ipsilateral and controlateral treatments. Seventy percent of the episodic patients, treated on the ipsilateral side, showed a marked amelioration whereas no improvement was noted in the patients treated on the contralateral side. The efficacy of ipsilateral treatment was emphasized by the results obtained in chronic patients. However, in these patients, the maximum period of amelioration lasted no more than 40 days. The difference between the effects of the 2 treatments (contralateral and ipsilateral) was statistically significant in both episodic and chronic sufferers. The efficacy of repeated nasal applications of capsaicin in cluster headache is congruent with previous reports on the therapeutic effect of capsaicin in other pain syndromes (post-herpetic neuralgia, diabetic neuropathy, trigeminal neuralgia) and supports the use of the drug to produce a selective analgesia.

PMID: 7708405

----------

Headache. 1994 Mar;34(3):132-7.

"Capsaicin-sensitive" sensory neurons in cluster headache: pathophysiological aspects and therapeutic indication.

Fusco BM, Fiore G, Gallo F, Martelletti P, Giacovazzo M.

Institute of Internal Medicine VI, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy.

Capsaicin, when repeatedly applied to the nasal mucosa of cluster headache patients, has been shown to prevent the occurrence of pain attacks. In order to investigate the mechanism of the drug's action, we evaluated the effect of repeated nasal application of capsaicin on the contents of sensory fibres immunoreactive to substance P and CGRP in the rat nasal mucosa. Further, considering the possible involvement of the cerebral circulation, we verified the effect of a single application of capsaicin on the blood flow velocity of the internal carotid and middle cerebral arteries (of both sides) and the basilar artery, in a group of healthy humans. The measurements were taken using Doppler devices. In order to verify the reproducibility of therapeutic effect of capsaicin, we carried out a 2-year follow-up study on patients affected by cluster headache (17 by episodic form, 8 by chronic form) who responded positively to the first treatment with capsaicin. During this period they were treated again with capsaicin in case of re-occurrence of symptoms. Capsaicin depletes the fibers immunoreactive to substance P and CGRP in the rat nasal mucosa. In the healthy controls, a single application induced vasodilation in the internal carotid, whereas middle cerebral arteries and basilar artery were narrowed. The results of the follow-up study, demonstrates that in 65% of the patients, the beneficial effect of capsaicin was again present when the treatment was repeated. In the chronic patients the therapeutic effect was always transitory (lasting, at maximum one month).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

PMID: 7515383

----------

Cephalalgia. 1993 Apr;13(2):114-6.

A double-blind placebo-controlled trial of intranasal capsaicin for cluster headache.

Marks DR, Rapoport A, Padla D, Weeks R, Rosum R, Sheftell F, Arrowsmith F

Clinical Immunology Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 92114.

It has been suggested that treatment of cluster headache (CH) patients with topical capsaicin may desensitize sensory neurons by depleting the nerve terminals of substance P. We attempted to determine whether capsaicin is effective in aborting CH attacks. Patients in acute cluster were randomized to receive either capsaicin or placebo in the ipsilateral nostril for 7 days. Patients recorded the severity of each headache for 15 days. Headaches on days 8-15 of the study were significantly less severe in the capsaicin group vs the placebo group. There was also a significant decrease in headache severity in the capsaicin group on days 8-15 compared to days 1-7, but not in the placebo group. Episodic CH patients appeared to benefit more than chronic CH patients. These results indicate that intranasal capsaicin may provide a new therapeutic option for the treatment of this disease.

PMID: 8495452

----------

Clin J Pain. 1989;5(1):49-53.

Beneficial effect of capsaicin application to the nasal mucosa in cluster headache.

Sicuteri F, Fusco BM, Marabini S, Campagnolo V, Maggi CA, Geppetti P, Fanciullacci M.

Institute of Internal Medicine and Clinical Pharmacology, University of Florence, Italy.

Capsaicin application to human nasal mucosa was found to induce painful sensation, sneezing, and nasal secretion. All of these factors exhibit desensitization upon repeated applications. The acute effects induced by capsaicin (300 micrograms/100 microliters) application to the nasal mucosa were studied in healthy volunteers and cluster headache patients. These effects were not different in both nostrils of cluster headache patients as well as in the single nostril of healthy controls. Likewise, the time course of desensitization to the painful sensation and nasal secretion induced by capsaicin applied for five consecutive days in control subjects was almost superimposable to those observed in the nasal mucosa of cluster headache patients. The number of spontaneously occurring attacks was significantly reduced in the 60 days after the end of capsaicin treatment. Whether the beneficial effect induced by capsaicin application to the nasal mucosa could be ascribed to a specific action on sensory neurons remains unknown.

PMID: 2520386

----------
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
chewy

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 7:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:

Looks like I'll need a passport for my next trip. ?
IP Logged
MR_JESTER
New Board Newbie
USA 

Dance with the devil!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 9:03am »

To Bob P. for posting the clinical findings of Capsacin:

Thanks man!  It's nice to know I'm not actually a freak after all! Grin
IP Logged

Make it idiot proof..
and someone will make
a better idiot!
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 9:36am »

The jist of the thing is it does have to used as a preventative.  The studies show it takes about a week of regular use to become effective.  Also, it won't stop the attacks.  It just makes them less severe by depleting the body of substance P like you said.

Good old Paco used to put Tobasco under his tongue.  Everyone at the Atlanta OUCH convention some years back, was supplied with a couple of those teensy-weensy bottles of Tobasco.  I still have mine.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 9:59am »

That being the case I'd like to see a study on the long term, repeated use of Capsaicin on the sinuses. I rather like my sense of smell and would be inclined to believe that all the while depleting substance P in my system I'm probably frying a few smell receptors over time.

All actions have a reaction whether it is a natural substance or a pharmaceutical.

Scott
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #21 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 5:52pm »

I was wonderin how come you keep sniffin Bob. Grin Snortin tabasco will make ya do that. Wink
take care
thebb
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2008, 5:53pm by thebbz » IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 6:04pm »

Quote:
You would be surprised at how many licensed M.D.'s are so mis-informed.    

OMG!!!!!!!!   Believe -you- me...Not one of us would be at all surprised about that.  Not in the slightest.   Many here if not most...have spent decades talking to one mis-informed Dr. after another.
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
zapparulz
New Board Newbie
USA 

take an aspirin.....

« Reply #23 on: Mar 22nd, 2008, 8:26am »

on Mar 21st, 2008, 7:04am, brewcrew wrote:
Distraction can be a good thing, I guess. Grin

frankly i don't see what is wrong with trying anything that may work,for any period of time-
Although i have to admit,i haven't tried alot of the things you folks have mentioned-

maybe it is because i only get the headaches 1 time a year for a few weeks- granted not as bad as i used to be,but they still suck-..i usually just ride the pain out-

i don't like immitrex,it does work sometimes for me,but get bad rebound headaches,if i take it 2 days in a row-

i did resort to trying the sinus buster- ok so i'm a fool- but last year i tried it.at first it did work- the first few days it stopped the headache-

but then what would happen is,even if it slowed the pain,i was getting multiple episodes a night- i would fall asleep and wake up every 2 hours with another headache- so what ended up happenning was ,i had a worse cycle than previous few years-

so ,i wouldn't recommend sinus buster..hahah

anyway,i hope everyone is as well as can be.I am lucky right now and it's been months since i had a cluster-

peace
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss