Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:41am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New off label trials »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   New off label trials
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New off label trials  (Read 890 times)
MR_JESTER
New Board Newbie
USA 

Dance with the devil!

Email

New off label trials
« on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 4:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Happy Easter!

I am back in cycle after 3 years of remssion.  My Neuro has started me on Depakote and Verapamil.  So far it's not happening for me.  He has told me that there are two meds that are showing promise as an off label treatment fro clusters.  They are:  CYMBALTA and LYRICA.  Has anybody tried these?  I've checked on Lyrica, and it sounds like it has promise but I couldn't find much about Cymbalta in relation to Clusters?
Any ideas?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2008, 4:51pm by MR_JESTER » IP Logged

Make it idiot proof..
and someone will make
a better idiot!
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: New off label trials
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23rd, 2008, 8:36pm »

Lyrica if I am not mistaken is used for neurogenic pain much like neurontin is.

From what I have read here it does not seem to show the efficacy that the researchers hope.

The same goes for cymbalta.

When it comes down to it verapamil, lithium, topomax appear to have the highest success rates with regards to Mainstream medicines

There are many who seek alternative treatments who appear to have a much higher success.

Good luck regardless what you try.

Remember to keep a very detailed chart with regards to pain, frequency and durations, meds and any other variables you may throw into the mix.

This will really help tell if things are working or not

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 9:02am »

I can respond regarding Cymbalta.  Cymbalta is one of the newer antidepressants.  It is an SSNRI, Selective Serotonin [&] Norepinepherine Reuptake Inhibitor.

That being said, what it means is there will be more Serotonin and Norepinepherine [neurotransmitters] available within your nervous system.

That being said, it may or may not be helpful for preventing CH, but NOT in my case.  It is helpful for my depression.  Your milage may vary.

Be aware that TOO MUCH serotonin in your system can be a BAD thing [google "serotonin syndrome"].  All of the triptan medications boost serotonin, as well as melatonin (breaks down into serotonin).

I use Cymbalta, 60 mg 1x per day and Imitrex injections as needed.  This does not cause any particular problems for me.  I refused to take Buspar and the Psychiatrist thought I was nutz (duh! why do you think I was there!) fearing serotonin syndrome.  Now I have insomnia, on top of everything else, and I'm NOT going to take melatonin either.

Your milage may vary, but please be careful, and learn about the symptoms of this potentially fatal syndrome.

Thanks for listening,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 8:18pm »

I'm  doing the Depakote  thing - along with Norvasc, lithium, and Topamax. Here's the deal for me: Depakote 500mg 3x/day, Lithium 300mg 2x/day, Norvasc 10mg 1x/day, Topamax 100mg 2x/day -

Here's the deal on the Depakote tho - the real cluster buster with Depakote is the 500mg IV - it took about 45 minutes to drip into my arm, the first 3 times, I got about a week pain free, the fourth one, I'm almost at 2 weeks - I still take all the pills, but the bolus really breaks the cycle for me withour having to go to steroids. If I can get thru another week without a headache, I'll start to taper off the pills ---
IP Logged
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 7:16pm »

I just got off Cymbalta. My doc put me on it for something other than depression, as it was good for treating another condition I have. I used it for almost 2 years.  

I did notice that after I started taking it, my hits weren't so intense, and the frequency was less, unless I went into a monster mini-cycle. I kept an eye on that part, and it helped for quite awhile, before it didn't help the CH anymore. But that was a bonus, because I wasn't taking it for CH.

I got off of it, because I got hit hard by one of the side effects, out of the blue, which is causing depression, or making already existing depression worse. It put me into a deep depression. I do get Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD, a mild depression for me) sometimes in the winter, due to lack of sunlight, but this turned into way worse.

He stopped me cold turkey from the Cymbalta, and put me on another med I had taken in the past with good response. It was a rough 2 weeks coming off the Cymbalta, but I feel soooo much better now, like my old self.

There have been discussions about Lyrica here, and my doc wants to put me on it, to try it, but, not for CH. I'll see how it works out.

YMMV
IP Logged

markinct
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 4:15pm »

Hi there,
I tried Lyrica for a month (I have a post out here somewhere when I started it asking if anyone was on it)
Unfortunately for me, it did not work...
Hope it can help you.
Starting a new med today Propanolol....lets see what happens... Verap and Top dont work.... neither does Cafergot.  Hopefully this will

Mark
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss