Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How do you get your O2... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   How do you get your O2...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How do you get your O2...  (Read 3042 times)
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

How do you get your O2...
« on: Mar 26th, 2008, 12:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

paid for by insurance?

Does your insurance company work with your provider?

Do you pay up front and then submit a claim?

If you do submit a claim, do you have to file a claim for the rental of oxygen cylinders and then a separate claim for the refill of cylinders?  

IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

Re: How do you get your O2...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 12:43pm »

on Mar 26th, 2008, 12:37pm, Gator wrote:
paid for by insurance?

Do you pay up front and then submit a claim?

If you do submit a claim, do you have to file a claim for the rental of oxygen cylinders and then a separate claim for the refill of cylinders?  

My insurance needed to pre-approve the oxygen use, but they [eventually] did.

My insurance receives an invoice from the provider and pays them directly, although I will probably have to go through the pre-approval and a new prescription for it annually.

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 12:55pm »

My PCP sent a prescription to Apria for O2, 15lpm through a non-rebreather mask as needed for cluster headaches back in 1996. Since that time all I've ever had to do is call Apria and tell them how many and what size and they deliver it, no questions asked. Durable medical goods (which includes O2) is covered 100% by my insurance. I have never paid a penny for O2 (except monthly premiums, of course).

I am one of the fortunate ones.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 1:12pm »

Amazingly enough, since I am with kaiser, they pay for it. I have my own demand regulator, although they originally delivered me one with my outfit. I also use Apria. Once a year my neuro has to renew the prescription, I keep 4-8 bottles on hand on or off cycle. I call everytime I'm up to 3 empties, they pick up the empties, drop off fulls.  

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 1:42pm »

from plants  Cheesy
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 1:42pm »

While I was on O2.  My HMO approved it no problem.  They supplier submited claims to the HMO and I never saw a bill.  It was so nice.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 3:54pm »

My supplier just needed a script.  It took a bit of work to get the right mask and regulator.  

They bill direct to my insurance Blue Cross Blue Shield.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 4:06pm »

Welders Supply
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
midwestbeth
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 4:07pm »

My insurance does cover a portion of 02 cost, but it was a pita.  Now I get welders 02 and pay the same cost that my insurance was charging me, only I do not have to call, order, wait for delivery, ect......

Beth
IP Logged

Do more than exist - live
Do more than touch - feel
Do more than look - observe
Do more than read - absorb
Do more than hear - listen
Do more than listen - understand
~ John Rhodes
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 4:07pm »

on Mar 26th, 2008, 1:42pm, E-Double wrote:
from plants  Cheesy

IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 5:12pm »

You wouldn't be SMOKING any of those plants now would you, Eric?

Back to Mike's question.

It was costing me a LOT more per tank to have the Ins, co. in on it, so I made a deal with my supplier (Apria) to leave them out of it entirely and I would pay cash.  

I pay 10 per e-tank and I bring it to the supplier for swapping out the tanks  instead of having them deliver it.  

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 6:59pm »

What Bill said - Aprila. Except that while I do not pay for the 02 itself i pay monthy to rent the regulator. Kinda sneaky. Perhaps I'd be better off buying one but it isn't a lot I guess - 17 bucks or something.
IP Logged
jon019
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

"Ya gotta believe!"

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 9:45pm »

on Mar 26th, 2008, 5:12pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

Back to Mike's question.

It was costing me a LOT more per tank to have the Ins, co. in on it, so I made a deal with my supplier (Apria) to leave them out of it entirely and I would pay cash.  

I pay 10 per e-tank and I bring it to the supplier for swapping out the tanks  instead of having them deliver it.  

Linda

Yup, sounds like me. For years I did same (and paid same amount and did my own refill runs). Then insurance FINALLY ok'ed and I switched. Been a year now, and it looks like I should opt out of that scam. They cover 60% of "reasonable" charges. Turns out it would be cheaper to just go it alone.

BTW, I use Lincare and the folks at the O2 shop I use are golden (well, except for the mgr, who raised my cash rate to $14 and insisted I use insurance). May switch to Apria.

Regards,

Jon
IP Logged

"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names." (that's cluster headache doc)

Chinese proverb
KatzPurr
New Board Newbie
USA 

10+ OUCH!

16090505 16090505     KatzPurr2

« Reply #13 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 11:16pm »

I went to my neuro on Tues. He gave me a script and I brought it to a local medical supply store. They were not able to take my insurance (Aetna), but were so helpful because they faxed the paperwork to another supplier and I was approved. I'm supposed to have my O2 delivered tomorrow. I sure hope that it works.
IP Logged

KatzPurr's Purrrrrrr Palace
http://www.myspace.com/jlabax
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #14 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 11:59pm »

You wouldn't be SMOKING any of those plants now would you, Eric?

Back to Mike's question.

Linda

When your insurance was "paying" did you submit a claim for every tank (or group of tanks you received) or one claim a month for all tanks or did the supplier bill you monthly for what insurance wouldn't pay?  How did that work?

Edited to add:  I do use oxygen, but I go the welder's O2 route.  Not having insurance, it's a lot cheaper than going through a medical supplier and it's actually even cheaper than what I would have paid through my last insurance company.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2008, 12:03am by Gator » IP Logged
slacker032
New Board Junior

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 12:46am »

Linda

I do the same except I'm paying Lincare $15 per tank.  Maybe I should give Apria a call.
IP Logged

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. - Bob Marley
Kitty1973
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 2:27am »

In my area we only have Lincare.  I pay $15 per tank.  I have no insurance, soooooooo.  

I just got my first tank today!!  The only problem is that the tank will only go to 8lpm.  That is what the Dr. prescribed.   I now have to wait until Monday to call the Dr. and tell her that I needed 12-15 Lpm.  

I did use it once today, at the 8 Lpm.  It helped alot, but I had to stay on it for 25 minutes before I felt any relief.  I quit after 30 minutes.  The attack wasn't completely gone, but it wasn't a KIP 10 anymore.  I would say it knocked it down to a KIP 5.  It eventually left, after 30 minutes of pacing.

Kitty
IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 2:59am »

I have several regulators and I use E tanks and M tanks.  It is a flat rate per month for unlimited use of O2.  The DME company wants to charge $80-something per month, but the insurance will only pay $30, so thats what they charge.  Of the $30 monthly cost, my co-pay was $6.  Now that I dropped my insurance, I have to pay the full $30 per month......thats worked out to about $1 a tank this month.

IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 12:00pm »

Quote:

When your insurance was "paying" did you submit a claim for every tank (or group of tanks you received) or one claim a month for all tanks or did the supplier bill you monthly for what insurance wouldn't pay?  How did that work?  

A claim was submitted for every group of tanks I recieved.   They charged my Ins. Co. 42.00  PER TANK.  Ins. would only pay 10.00 and I was stuck with 32.00

That is why I decided to leave Ins. out of it.  I also had to sit down with the manager, bat my eyelashes, tell them my tale of woe and we then came up with the deal I have now of 10 per e-tank-cash.
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
jon019
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

"Ya gotta believe!"

« Reply #19 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 8:09pm »

on Mar 28th, 2008, 12:00pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

A claim was submitted for every group of tanks I recieved.   They charged my Ins. Co. 42.00  PER TANK.  Ins. would only pay 10.00 and I was stuck with 32.00

That is why I decided to leave Ins. out of it.  I also had to sit down with the manager, bat my eyelashes, tell them my tale of woe and we then came up with the deal I have now of 10 per e-tank-cash.

Gator, THANKS for this thread. I may need to be proactive before I get screwed.

Linda,

Something strange going on here and I am starting to get worried and/or pissed.

For years I did the same $10/tank cash deal. Submitted claims (myself) to insurance which (gleefully it seemed) DENIED each and every one. Got nothing but circular arguments from them, but at least got the satisfaction of making them do the paperwork. Then something changed (no idea what) and they said they required a letter from my doctor to cover O2 (for THIS condition as they put it).  

My neuro at the time was great and was delighted to write such (even did it in front of me). Seems the key phrase, that finally got me coverage was "INTRACTABLE headaches".  

Coincidentaly, my not so friendly neighborhood Lincare O2 shop mgr had raised my cash rate to $14.50 (and was a little nasty about it (???)). That's what they billed to insurance UNTIL recently. NOW they bill $43.50 ea and I have yet to see the first insurance statement post that (there's the worry). AND, Lincare required I fill out ANOTHER insurance billing permission form. I read it but now I'm gonna reread it more carefully.  

I did talk to the Lincare billing dept and got a convoluted and confusing "don't worry about it"  
explaination. Why would two completely separate O2 companies, nearly simultaneously raise their billing rate to a RIDICULOUS and nearly identical level? What's going on? I'm ALMOST feeling some sympathy for the insurance co.

I may need your eyelashes, as mine definitely won't cut it with this yutz.

Regards

Jon
IP Logged

"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names." (that's cluster headache doc)

Chinese proverb
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #20 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 10:51pm »

on Mar 28th, 2008, 12:00pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

$42 per E tank?!?  Sheesh!  No way in hell I could have afforded the $32 insurance didn't pay for.  

When I had Community Care Insurance, I paid nothing for my O2.  The local medical supplier came to the house and swapped out as many tanks as I needed.  I usually kept a huge K tank for the house and 3 E-tanks for traveling about. When I got fired, because of clusters, I went under my wife's insurance - Aetna.  The closest supplier I could use was 45 miles away and then I would have had to pay a per tank co-pay of like $17.50 or something like that.  That's when I said screw it and went to a local steel supply house and leased a K tank for a little over $50 per year and $22.50 refills.
IP Logged
Kitty1973
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #21 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 10:11am »

This may not be the case for everyone, but the Lincare that I go through told me that they have assistance programs to help those who are uninsured/under-insured pay for their O2.  Right now I have to pay $15.00 cash per E tank because my paperwork isn't processed yet.  They told me it would take about 2 weeks to get it processed.  

I had to ask them about assistance programs, they didn't volunteer the info, but they were very nice to me about it.  They were pretty helpful to me 2.  

I don't know what price I will have to pay yet, that will not be determined til after the paperwork is processed.  They did tell me that many people get it totally free though.  I kinda think I will too, because there are 2 adults and 2 children in my home, and we get a monthly income of about  $1000.00.  Our countable bills include a $300.00 mortgage payment and a $100.00 car payment, along with utilities and food expenses.  

I hope this helps someone.

Kitty
IP Logged
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #22 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 5:18pm »

I have Kaiser and Apria trades out my empties for full tanks whenever I need them. I pay $6.08 a month no matter how many tanks I use. I'm currently looking at switching jobs, so I guess I'll have to keep this in mind. I sure can't afford $32 per tank, not with my southern California mortgage.
IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Mar 30th, 2008, 1:37pm »

Quote:
I may need your eyelashes, as mine definitely won't cut it with this yutz.  

Try Walgreens Jon.  They sell them there.

Seriously, I don't blame you one little bit for being pi$$ed.  I have Apria now but for years it was Lincare who made that deal for 10.00 per e-tank with me.  Then 2 years ago...a new yahoo took over the mangr. position and I go waltzing in to swap out my tanks as usual, and get this "sorry, as of the first of the year our policy has changed and cash pays will now be 23.00"   I told him where to stick his new policy.

I immediately went over to Apria..told them everything and they made me the same deal I'd been having before with Lincare.  

Linda  
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #24 on: Mar 30th, 2008, 1:46pm »

on Mar 26th, 2008, 12:37pm, Gator wrote:
paid for by insurance?

Yes.

Quote:

Provider files with insurance, I get a bill for the balance.

IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss