Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 11:34am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « ice users? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   ice users?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ice users?  (Read 1585 times)
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

ice users?
« on: Mar 29th, 2008, 2:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

How do you keep the darn stuff on your head, and how do you time it?

Charlotte
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

Re: ice users?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 3:42pm »

practice  Wink

and I use most everything besides ice...like a bag of frozen peas or other veggie forms a little better to your head. Or a first aid ice pack. I also have a hot and cold neck therapy thing i wrap around my head.

I don't time it. I keep it there as long as I can. Sometimes putting it in a cloth or at least a paper towel can make it easier on the skin.
IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 3:59pm »

i keep a couple of bags of water in the fridge.  when i need one, i put 2 or 3 ice cubes in it to keep it cold.  The liquid water forms around your head pretty good, and it doesnt get uncomfortably cold.

IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 5:20pm »

Charlotte,

I wrap an ice cube in a doubled paper towel and wet it so I get a good heat transfer between the ice cube and scalp.  I also use a ball cap to hold it in place...  That usually stops the questions too.  Every day is a bad hair day for me so the ice cube is no big deal as long as it works...  It usually works just fine...

Timing is easy...  as soon as you "think" you're about to have an attack...  go for the ice cube.  If your husband or kids are observant...  they may recognize an attack is about to happen before you do...  

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2008, 5:23pm by Batch » IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 5:43pm »

Charlotte,
I wrap my bag of frozen peas in a bandana and tie it around my head-gives me a kinda funky pirate/biker/hippie look and holds my peas in place.  
Also, I move it around so that it covers my CH eye, the entire side of my face or the base of my skull.  
I go through alot of frozen peas cause after a few times of thawing and refreezing they get nasty.
PFDAN my friend,
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 6:42pm »

I use those blue gel icepacks that don't freeze solid at freezer temperatures, wrapped in a terrycloth hand towel. We have about 5 or 6 of them in our freezer.

We buy them from our chiropractor, but I think you can get them at Walgreens or other national chain pharmacies.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Whipsmart
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hipster Doofus

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 7:18pm »

I use an ice bag.  http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Ice-Bags-Small/dp/B0006ULKQW/ref=pd_bbs _4?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1206832612&sr=8-4

I put about a tray of cubes in it with a little water.  It stays lice and cold.  I also use peas.  The peas work better on the back of my head and neck.   The ice bag works better for my eye, forehead, scalp, jaw, and everything else.  You can pick them up for a couple of bucks at the drug store.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 8:29pm »

on Mar 29th, 2008, 7:18pm, Whipsmart wrote:
It stays lice and cold.

Well then, for god's sake, don't use it on your head.
IP Logged

AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 9:13pm »

I keep a dozen cotton base-ball caps, soaked in water, in the freezer with a layer of plastic between each one. As each one thaws I throw it back in.

Wish I could remember which of of our Cmates said, "Frozen peas are my friends" but I avoid the bags of frozen mixed vegetables because they always include carrots.

We've also a young CHead in England who swears blind that broccolli is a trigger so his mum no longer puts it on his plate. That might be worth a wide berth, too.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #9 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 9:14pm »

on Mar 29th, 2008, 6:42pm, brewcrew wrote:
I use those blue gel icepacks that don't freeze solid at freezer temperatures, wrapped in a terrycloth hand towel.  

you can get them at Walgreens or other national chain pharmacies.

About the exact same here.  A cooler icepack handheld with a thick wash rag so my hand doesnt' get uncomfortable holding it, but bare cold icepack right on the head.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 9:35pm »

One of my away messages for IM is  

" Got Peas? It's good for the noggin!"

Frozen peas are great....
The mold to he head  
By the time it melts it has already done the trick
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 11:52pm »

We put ice cubes and water into a small thermo container and kept it in the fridge, then we soaked hand towels in the cold water, wrapped up the ice cubes and put it where needed.  

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #12 on: Mar 30th, 2008, 6:17am »

I use small plastic coolers, which come in a shape of a ice cube. They are reusable and last much better than real ice. I keep mine in the freezer all the time, so when I need them, they're ready.

These are similar to the cubes I use:

Sanna

IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30th, 2008, 3:23pm »

frozen peas!!!!  I'm not the only one that prefers it I see.  Usually, when reusing the same bag over an over, the peas all clump together when they refreeze.  So a couple whacks on the kitchen counter and they loosen up.  Best thing I can come up with.  I tried corn one time but the smell, while it thawed during the attack made me want to puke.  Just my 2 cents!
IP Logged
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 10:20pm »

I read the Tips for CH posted by Mrs. DJ and decided to try the crushed the ice and rubbing alcohol. Oh' what a beautiful thing it is!! You can make up several packs this way and it is quite inexpensive. The alcohol keeps the ice from getting hard, it just stays nice and slushy. I wrap it with a paper towel because I find cloth towels to be too thick.  

The ice pack may not abort the ha but it gives me reliefe for a second. When I am in the throws of a big attack the icepack almost makes it feel as if I am coming up for air.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #15 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:58am »

Frozen vegetable do not retain the cold anywhere near as long as the blue gel packs. Plus, the blue gel packs are reusable far longer than veggies, which will go bad when warmed and re-frozen over and over again.
IP Logged

AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #16 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 4:14am »

Anyone remember the famous "Frozen Banana" therapy?  I laughed meself near sober over that one and the timing was terrific.  (I needed to laugh.)
IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 4:31pm »

I also use the blue gel packs and I hold them on my head until they get warm, or the hit is over.  If the hit isn't over, I go get another gel pack or two.  I have several.  I ususally wrap it in a thin dish towel (not terrycloth), or paper towels.  

I'm a rightie, so I sit either in an arm chair or the couch with a large pillow under my right arm (helps to support the arm), rest my arm on the arm of the chair, and hold the pack to the right side of my head/eye.  I will also have a second pack on the top of my head and on the back of my neck, if necessary.  I've also, believe it or not, tied one to my head with a pair of pantyhose  Roll Eyes  My husband thought that one was quite charming.

Oh, and I also chug down about three to four 12 oz glasses of ice water, holding cubes in my mouth.  

Keep practicing, you'll get it.

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 4:47pm »

on Apr 4th, 2008, 4:14am, AussieBrian wrote:
Anyone remember the famous "Frozen Banana" therapy?  I laughed meself near sober over that one and the timing was terrific.  (I needed to laugh.)

I think I missed that one.  Dare I ask?

All forms of ice are good.

Charlotte
IP Logged
tony-PA
New Board Newbie
Italy 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #19 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 5:38pm »

I've never used ice, only O2 (no more imigran  Wink), but i wonder:
wouldn't be better to cool other parts of body, so our organism would remove blood  from the head to warm them up?
I know..... it is a silly question, but   Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #20 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 8:16pm »

Cold constricts, including blood vessels.

Ever swim in cold water?
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 8:31pm »

Quote:
I laughed meself near sober over that one and the timing was terrific.  (I needed to laugh.)

I am so totally cracking up Brian.  Not because of the frozen banana, but about the rest of what you said.

I don't remember the banana thing either.  Want to refresh our memory?
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
jon019
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

"Ya gotta believe!"

« Reply #22 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 8:52pm »

on Apr 4th, 2008, 4:14am, AussieBrian wrote:

Oh geez Brian, I'm still laughing, THAT was frickin' funny!
(And I needed the laugh TOO.)

The only ice I can possibly come near during a hit is the slush in a "wired" energy drink. The attempts to time that out of the freezer have been a dismal failure. Cleaning up sticky exploded mess in the middle of a hit? well, it is possible to laugh and cry at the same time (been there).

Personally, a hot, HOT, HOT! shower helps.

Regards,

Jon
IP Logged

"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names." (that's cluster headache doc)

Chinese proverb
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #23 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 10:22pm »

It was in a discussion just like this and one of our ladies was explaining the joy and relief she got from using a frozen bandana.  The misprint was unfortunate so you can imagine how this mob leapt at it.

I didn't, of course.
IP Logged

DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #24 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 10:56pm »

on Apr 6th, 2008, 10:22pm, AussieBrian wrote:
It was in a discussion just like this and one of our ladies was explaining the joy and relief she got from using a frozen bandana.  The misprint was unfortunate so you can imagine how this mob leapt at it.

I didn't, of course.

Oh no, Brian wouldn't jump on that like a gorilla with an ice cream brain freeze from eating the frozen banana.  LOL   crackup

There was an article in prevention (I think) magazine about using frozen bananas back in th 70's.
I remember freezing 3 bananas and after the first one I threw the others out.
Shit maybe I read the article wrong???
I don't even remember how you were supposed to use them.  I do remember it was a real bitch trying to peel the darn thing during a K9.  If the smell of thawing corn was bad as posted above you can imagine the smell of a stinky, thawing, getting squishy banana.

That experiment was right up there with snorting cayenne pepper.

I quit using remedies from that magazine after that.
Well, there might have been a few others, I was desperate.  But I soon learned there wasn't much the homeopathic remedies could do for these things.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2008, 10:57pm by DragonSlayer » IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss