Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « When to taper off preventatives? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   When to taper off preventatives?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: When to taper off preventatives?  (Read 750 times)
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

When to taper off preventatives?
« on: Apr 1st, 2008, 7:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It's been almost 4 weeks since my last Depakote IV, no headaches since then, still on all the other preventatives (oral Depakote, Topamax, Norvasc, Lithium) - any thoughts to help me discuss with my neuro as to when to begin tapering off this polypharmic mass? How long headache free before messing with preventatives?
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: When to taper off preventatives?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 12:41pm »

This question gets asked a lot, the answer? It's a crap shoot. My neuro used to say 4 weeks pain free taper off. Well after 20 years of almost clock work 12 week cycles, we agreed to go 12 weeks.
I'd start tapering off the lithium, get slammed, and taper back up, until the 12 weeks were done!

About the only thing you can do is by tracking your previous history, try and guess when it's safe to start tapering off. Make damned sure the oxygen is handy in case you guess wrong! Wink

As with everything else, work very closely with your doc when ramping up and down. The medications we take are miraculous in the relief they give us, but some of the meds you mention are very powerful and dosing should never be changed without guidance from your doctor.  

Hoping you've reached the end!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 1:45pm »

I decided to taper off preventatives after being PF for a month. And once I started tapering, I did it very slowly indeed - and stayed PF for 11 months after that.

We're all unique what comes to the treatments, which work, so I bet that we're bit different in this way too.

Good luck and PF days,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 9:32pm »

Mine says taper off after four weeks pain free too. (Since I see the same neuro as Guiseppi I don't think you can count those as two different opinions)
IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss