Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Excedrin Migraine... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Excedrin Migraine...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Excedrin Migraine...  (Read 8925 times)
precipitate
New Board Newbie
USA 

Excedrin Migraine...
« on: Apr 4th, 2008, 12:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey Guys,

I'm still pretty new to this website and I haven't visited the Medications board yet, so I just wanted to give some input on what helps abort my CH's and see if it works for anyone else...

In the past 2.5 years I've had CH I seem to have tremendous luck with Excedrin Extra Strength Migraine. If I take it immediately, and i mean IMMEDIATELY upon the first signs of an attack, there's a great chance it will resolve it. Now, I've noticed this only seems to work with the "Migraine" formula, while other kinds of Excedrin don't work as well.

Has anyone else ever given Excedrin a go? My neuro's eyes got pretty big when I told him it works for me, saying "Wow....you're lucky".

Take care,

Steven
IP Logged
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

Re: Excedrin Migraine...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 1:38am »

It has caffeine in it. I guess it's similar to drinking coffee, but I would think it would take longer to work.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2008, 1:42am by CostaRicaKris » IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 1:40am »

Excedrin ES Migraine has 65mg caffeine.  If you take two tabs that would be about the same caffeine as a strong cup of coffee or two.
Excedrin ES Migraine also has 250mg each of Acetaminophen and Aspirin which have little effect on CH although some report relief from a shadow.  Again I use strong coffee or an energy drink with good results.
over use of Acetaminophen and Aspirin may cause tinnitus (annoying ringing in your ears) stomach problems along with other unpleasant side effects.
IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 2:59am »

Yes i took it sometimes before i was on the right meds.  But when the ha ramped up it didn't abort.  Strong shadows will be killed for me with strong coffee or red bull.  So i guess exedrin might do the same but definitely not an abortive for me.    

I don't even bother with it now-  i use verapamil , frova as my triptan , and strong coffee for any lingering shadows.  Also O2 as an abortive
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 7:38am »

I have some luck fight shadows with it but never a real CH attack.  They just ramp up too fast.

O2 is the way to go for me.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 4:41pm »

I used Excedrin Extra Strength before I figured out how to work with and treat my CH.  I would take three tablets at the first hint of a hit.  It help with low level hits somewhat, but never touched the big ones.  

Plus, if you are getting hit 4 or 5 times a day/night and keep taking Excedrin, there is a strong possibility that it will actually cause rebound headaches.  It did with me.  

After some great advice from the folks here, I stopped the Excedrin, and found oxygen to abort hits.

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Whipsmart
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hipster Doofus

« Reply #6 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 6:44pm »

on Apr 4th, 2008, 4:41pm, Sandy_C wrote:
I used Excedrin Extra Strength before I figured out how to work with and treat my CH.  I would take three tablets at the first hint of a hit.  It help with low level hits somewhat, but never touched the big ones.  

Plus, if you are getting hit 4 or 5 times a day/night and keep taking Excedrin, there is a strong possibility that it will actually cause rebound headaches.  It did with me.  

After some great advice from the folks here, I stopped the Excedrin, and found oxygen to abort hits.

Sandy

Same with me.  Before I knew what I had, I thought the Excedrin was doing what it needed to do.  When I got the really bad ones, I thought I just wasn't taking it early enough.  Then I'd end up in a hot shower or with a bag of ice on my head praying for it to end.  Of course it didn't help the night time ones for me either.  I'd take something and I just thought it was taking too long for the medicine to take effect.  It was just the cluster ending.  

I was going through them like Skittles until I got the right doctor.  While it will take care of the shadows, it will make rebound headaches occur more frequently.  It also won't touch the major ones or prevent you at all.
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 10:00am »

Excedrin ES and E-Migrain have the "exact" same ingredients in them (yeah I checked) but the ES is cheaper....  and yes, I use it "occasionally" but it WILL cause rebounds if used too often.

It's good if you're out somewhere and can't get to a can of Red Bull or a cup of coffee in a hurry. BUT be careful not to take it too often. (that's "experience" talking).  

In fact- be careful of any "pain" killers -- they tend to cause headaches in CHers.  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

vze2n4nj
New Board Newbie
USA 

Here's to pain free minutes!

realisminlife  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 3:55pm »

My doctor prescribed Esgic Plus for me, which contains Butalbital 500mg, Acetaminophen 40mg, and Caffeine 50mg (supposed to take 2 at a time). I only just started taking it, and it appears to be working as long as I take it at the VERY beginning of the onset. I hadn't heard of this combination, and after some research I found that it is prescribed for tension and migraine headaches. My bout is still in its progression, so I do not know how it will work when the pain peaks. I do not like imitrex because of what it does to my chest and my overall feeling. The Esgic Plus has no side effects at all.
IP Logged
syrs842
New Board Newbie
USA 

A GOOD NITE SLEEP ALL AROUND

ptsayers
Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19th, 2008, 8:47pm »

Hey People,
You don't know how much I appreciate all the advise I have gotten from you all. Now is my time to return the favor.  

I have taken a lot of Excedrin Migraine and I am here to tell you it's not all that good for you. I have taken SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many that my stomach is about to come out my chest. I have sworn off of them. When you in that much pain your willing to take what ever and I was taking up to four at a time. No more though I have gone cold turkey.  

I have a question though for everyone. Have you ever heard of or used Sinol. I used it for a period of time and now it doesn't work anymore
IP Logged

Pat
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #10 on: Apr 19th, 2008, 9:02pm »

My father-in-law was taking 20 regular aspirin per day a couple of years before he died. He ended up in the ER with blood coming out both ends.

So much for the philosophy, "If 1 is good, several must be better."
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
zapparulz
New Board Newbie
USA 

take an aspirin.....

« Reply #11 on: Apr 20th, 2008, 2:07pm »

on Apr 4th, 2008, 4:41pm, Sandy_C wrote:

Sandy

i agree- in my early days with the headaches,even tylenol would work at the very beginning of my cylcle,if i took them at the exact right time- but as you said,once they get bad,no asperin or exedrin will work -

it does seem that different things work for different people-
IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26th, 2008, 4:45pm »

When I travel, I use it a lot and then have to withdraw when returning to home and the O2.  The stuff is good, but overuse can definitely cause rebounds.  I personally am trying to stay as much off of zomig, et als as much as possible which leads me to the Excedrin Migraine/red bull.

John
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 1:18pm »

Hope your luck holds. Wished it worked on mine.
all the best with the stomach
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss