Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 12:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Migranal & Maxalt »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Migranal & Maxalt
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Migranal & Maxalt  (Read 7257 times)
Robzilla
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Migranal & Maxalt
« on: Apr 10th, 2008, 4:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has any body used Migranal or Mazalt?  Any info would help, thank

Robert Cool
IP Logged
beachmusic

Email

Re: Migranal & Maxalt
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 5:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey Robzilla,  
If I used Maxalt I don't remember  Wink But I did use Migranal DHE the nasal spray.  It was a 5 or 6 day treatment that I did at home and I had very good results.  I was told to use it at approx. the same time everyday or when attack started.  It would pretty much stop my attack within 2-3 min.  Only problem is that it only worked for about 4 days and then it began to wear off.  I will say the cycle started to wear down shortly thereafter but I am not sure if the migranal was responsible or not.  I was indeed thankful for those 4 days though.  Good luck  I will be thinking of you!!
Mary Ann
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 6:05pm »

Robert:

I have used both.  Maxalt is a quick dissolving lozenge and works, but is somewhat slower than a nasal spray or much slower than an imitrex injection.  I would guess 25-35 minutes to abort a hit.

Migranal nasal spray is  DHE and works relatively quickly, about 12-15 minutes for me.  It leaves me totally conjested, however.  I usually find that I have no CH hits for at least 24 hours after the spray.

I have Migranal and will use it when I am getting slammed with multiple hits per night to try to get a good nights sleep.

Don't mix these together closer than 24 hours apart, or BAD things could happen to you.

With best wishes,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 6:06pm »

Volumes have been written here about both. Have you tried the search function located at the top of the screen?
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
mc_ashes
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 7:01pm »

Robert - I use Maxalt for kip 5+ hits and it works for me!  Takes about 25-30 min to kick-in but, I'm usually good (PF) for the rest of the night.

Mark
IP Logged
Superdave
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 7:30pm »

Migranal is my last line abortive before I start banging my head against the table.
It always seems to work in less than 5 min. as long as I don’t use it more than a couple of times a week.
It usually gives me pf time for at least 24 hours and always leaves me congested.

IP Logged

Wow! you mean it's just in my head?
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 3:35am »

I've used Maxalt rapitabs, melt in the mouth tabs, with quite nice success.  

They ended my hits within 5-8 minutes. But I did get some side effects, including falling into narcotic sleep few hours after taking the med, which wasn't that great.

Before giving energy drinks a go, Maxalt worked the best with me - and faster than any other med tried.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 9:37am »

on Apr 11th, 2008, 3:35am, sandie99 wrote:
They ended my hits within 5-8 minutes.

That's interesting, Sanna. All the literature states that it takes 25-30 minutes to enter the system as it is absorbed in the gut, not through the membranes of the mouth. Those times - 5-8 minutes - are better than oxygen for most.

Could it be that your attack was about to end anyhow?

I just don't want to create any false hope for a new guy. It's always taken about a half an hour anytime I've used it.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 10:48am »

I  tried the maxalt nasal spray.  It was fast acting but made my ch more intense and I just didn't like that.  After a week of trying I gave up.

I used migranol nasal spray and found it effective as imitrix for me.  However, I like imitrix after taste better and found the potential listed side effects more acceptable to me with the imitrix.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 3:16am »

Migrinal seemed to work well for me - i recommend trying it as I did like it very well.
IP Logged
coreyo87
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

excimoeboy

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 4:45pm »

Hey Rob  Smiley

I've used maxalt (the dissolvable tablet).  The first times knocked out a CH attack, but lately it has been hit or miss.  Only side effect i experienced from it was a "foggy" kind of feeling.. Hope that helps a little!  

-Corey
IP Logged
Becky
New Board Junior
Great_Britain 

Welcome to my world   Now go home!!!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 2:14pm »

I tried Maxalt (disovable tab) it worked but it made me feel really wierd. My heart was pounding and I felt like I was floating,scared the crap outa me. I find Imigran Radis works for me.
IP Logged
mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26th, 2008, 8:08am »

I've used maxalt- slower acting for me - i gave up on it because it took at least a half hour to feel any relief- not a good abortive for me
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 1:14pm »

Didn't work for me.
all the best
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Chronic
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 10:13am »

As far as Migranal is concerned, my neurologist has prescribed it as a preventative, not an abortive.  Over the 20 years I've had clusters (been Episodic and Chronic), most meds have had varying degrees on effectiveness.  Currently, nothing has been working for me (Varapamil, Topamax, Neurontin, Cartia, Depekote, Prednisone, etc, etc.).

Now, I've been using Migranal as a preventative by taking 1 spray in each nostril 2 - 3 times a day.  It has significantly reduced the number of headaches I have suffered.  The only problem...you can't use Imitrex if a KIP 10 breaks through.  You're only savior is oxygen during those.

I don't know if it is right for you, but Migranal has helped significantly.  Currently it is the only means I have of attempting to break a cycle.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2008, 10:14am by Chronic » IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 4:27pm »

on Apr 28th, 2008, 10:13am, Chronic wrote:
As far as Migranal is concerned, my neurologist has prescribed it as a preventative, not an abortive.  Over the 20 years I've had clusters (been Episodic and Chronic), most meds have had varying degrees on effectiveness.  Currently, nothing has been working for me (Varapamil, Topamax, Neurontin, Cartia, Depekote, Prednisone, etc, etc.).

Now, I've been using Migranal as a preventative by taking 1 spray in each nostril 2 - 3 times a day.  It has significantly reduced the number of headaches I have suffered.  The only problem...you can't use Imitrex if a KIP 10 breaks through.  You're only savior is oxygen during those.

I don't know if it is right for you, but Migranal has helped significantly.  Currently it is the only means I have of attempting to break a cycle.

Good Luck

Dear Chronic and Clusterville:

There is a warning in the boxed circular about NOT using this medication as a preventative.

"Migranal® (dihydroergotamine mesylate, USP) Nasal Spray is not intended for the prophylactic therapy of
migraine or for the management of hemiplegic or basilar migraine."

"There have been reports of pleural and retroperitoneal fibrosis in patients following prolonged daily use of
injectable dihydroergotamine mesylate. Rarely, prolonged daily use of other ergot alkaloid drugs has been associated with cardiac valvular fibrosis. Rare cases have also been reported in association with the use of injectable dihydroergotamine mesylate; however, in those cases, patients also received drugs known to be associated with cardiac valvular fibrosis."

"In clinical trials, Migranal® (dihydroergotamine mesylate, USP) Nasal Spray has been effective for the acute treatment of migraine headaches with or without aura. One spray (0.5 mg) of Migranal® (dihydroergotamine mesylate, USP) Nasal Spray should be administered in each nostril. Fifteen minutes later, an additional one spray (0.5 mg) of Migranal® (dihydroergotamine mesylate, USP) Nasal Spray should be administered in each nostril, for a total dosage of four sprays (2.0 mg) of Migranal® (dihydroergotamine mesylate, USP) Nasal Spray. Studies have shown no additional benefit from acute doses greater than 2.0 mg for a single migraine administration. The safety of doses greater than 3.0 mg in a 24 hour period and 4.0 mg in a 7 day period has not been established."

Migranal® (dihydroergotamine mesylate, USP) Nasal Spray, should not be used for chronic daily administration.

Please discuss this with your doctor as you are clearly using this medication outside of it's intended dosing parameters and may be doing yourself harm in doing so.

Below is the link to the drug circular and you will need the acrobat reader to read it.

http://prescriptionmigrainerelief.com/HTML-INF/6_0_Prescribing_Info/migr anal_PI.pdf

Ray
IP Logged

StressFree
New Board Veteran
USA 

James4:8 I'm a moral failure, but there is hope...

« Reply #16 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 8:01pm »

Robzilla,

If you have a Dr. who is willing, you might try Maxalt for one day, then take Stadol nasal spray the next, and alternate to keep the CA off balance as well as tollerance to a given medication down. You need to be able to tollerate meds well, and save the stadol for when no need to drive (or do anything actually-can't really do anything during CA anayway). Stadol isn't a pleasant drug, but it did abort many attacks for me last round. The alternating seemed to work well for me. Take the maxalt tab with a glass of hot water. Take a second tab if first one doesn't abort after 20 minutes. This seems to last for a full day once it has kicked in. Only supposed to take 2 total per day I think on those anyway. This regimen I used for break through attacks while taking medium level dosages of VerapamilSR twice a day and a Prednisone Taper. Mild to fairly intense burning sensations usually all that gets through while on the Prednisone, but nothing like a real attack (I'm usually smiling during these shadow type episodes when I'm certain the CA isn't breaking through). The Maxalt and Stadol usually stop an attack cold, though both took about 15 minutes to work for me. I'd hit one or the other at first twinge, but not both. O2 didn't work for me, since the attack would return as soon as I quit breathing the O2. I may try the new mask set up if I need to next time. A TENS electrical pulsing/massage thingy seemed to help throw the Beasts off balance. I'd crank that thing up on my jaw, temple, and or back of neck and experiment with different freqeuncies and sit there and twitch until the abortives kicked in. Almost relaxing actually. I've gone up to 7 years between cycles. It's ben several years again now - thank God. Maybe it's gone for good this time. Wishing the same for everyone here, Rich
IP Logged
Chronic
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #17 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 9:44am »

on Apr 28th, 2008, 4:27pm, Ray wrote:

Dear Chronic and Clusterville:

There is a warning in the boxed circular about NOT using this medication as a preventative.

"Migranal® (dihydroergotamine mesylate, USP) Nasal Spray is not intended for the prophylactic therapy of
migraine or for the management of hemiplegic or basilar migraine."

"There have been reports of pleural and retroperitoneal fibrosis in patients following prolonged daily use of
injectable dihydroergotamine mesylate. Rarely, prolonged daily use of other ergot alkaloid drugs has been associated with cardiac valvular fibrosis. Rare cases have also been reported in association with the use of injectable dihydroergotamine mesylate; however, in those cases, patients also received drugs known to be associated with cardiac valvular fibrosis."

"In clinical trials, Migranal® (dihydroergotamine mesylate, USP) Nasal Spray has been effective for the acute treatment of migraine headaches with or without aura. One spray (0.5 mg) of Migranal® (dihydroergotamine mesylate, USP) Nasal Spray should be administered in each nostril. Fifteen minutes later, an additional one spray (0.5 mg) of Migranal® (dihydroergotamine mesylate, USP) Nasal Spray should be administered in each nostril, for a total dosage of four sprays (2.0 mg) of Migranal® (dihydroergotamine mesylate, USP) Nasal Spray. Studies have shown no additional benefit from acute doses greater than 2.0 mg for a single migraine administration. The safety of doses greater than 3.0 mg in a 24 hour period and 4.0 mg in a 7 day period has not been established."

Migranal® (dihydroergotamine mesylate, USP) Nasal Spray, should not be used for chronic daily administration.

Please discuss this with your doctor as you are clearly using this medication outside of it's intended dosing parameters and may be doing yourself harm in doing so.

Below is the link to the drug circular and you will need the acrobat reader to read it.

http://prescriptionmigrainerelief.com/HTML-INF/6_0_Prescribing_Info/migr anal_PI.pdf

Ray

Thanks Ray, I really appreciate the advice.  It's truly great to know that people really care here.

However, I am well aware of the info on the box.  About four years ago I turned chronic and suffered for two years straight trying to shut them down.  It got so bad I was having 6 to 8 clusters a day.  Absolutely nothing worked.  I was finally admitted to the hospital for 5 days straight to get DHE given to me intravenously.  After the 5 days, the headaches were reduced, but the cycle still didn't shut down.  I stayed on Migranal (a nasal form of DHE) for another week or two and it finally shut down.  I was clear for another 18 months before they started up again recently.

The truth is, many of the drugs we take for Clusters are off label. Some are more hazardous than others.  Migranal as a preventative is very tough of the heart and circulatory system.  In order to try it you should be in good condition w/o any heart problems.  It is definitely not for everyone.  The discussion is one that must be had with your doctor.
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 2:37pm »

on Apr 29th, 2008, 9:44am, Chronic wrote:

Thanks Ray, I really appreciate the advice.  It's truly great to know that people really care here.

However, I am well aware of the info on the box.  About four years ago I turned chronic and suffered for two years straight trying to shut them down.  It got so bad I was having 6 to 8 clusters a day.  Absolutely nothing worked.  I was finally admitted to the hospital for 5 days straight to get DHE given to me intravenously.  After the 5 days, the headaches were reduced, but the cycle still didn't shut down.  I stayed on Migranal (a nasal form of DHE) for another week or two and it finally shut down.  I was clear for another 18 months before they started up again recently.

The truth is, many of the drugs we take for Clusters are off label. Some are more hazardous than others.  Migranal as a preventative is very tough of the heart and circulatory system.  In order to try it you should be in good condition w/o any heart problems.  It is definitely not for everyone.  The discussion is one that must be had with your doctor.

I'm glad that you're informed about these risks.  Please keep an eye out for these side effects and keep an open dialog with your doctor.

Ray
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss