Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 9:47pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Newbie to board »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Newbie to board
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Newbie to board  (Read 639 times)
FK5
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Newbie to board
« on: Apr 24th, 2008, 3:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was diagnosed with CH 4 years ago in the emergency room. Actually on the floor of the emergency room.

They gave me oxygen and a pain pill. Each year, I waited until it hit a Kip 9/10 to do anything. I just thought this is what I had and had to endure the pain of it. Luckily, each time I hit the the 9-10 pain it was that day and two to follow and the cluster was over. I realized now that I dealt with shadows for weeks to a couple months. I also realized that it ain't good to share vodka with the enemy.

Dealing and listening to a emergency room doc was my problem. Again, He told me there's no cure and I don't have a brain tumor so I thought oxygen and pain pills was the answer. So the emergency room was there if I needed it.

I didn't know about dealing with this until I looked it up on the internet. I know I should have done it sooner but once they were gone, I didn't want to even think about them until I had to. Anyway, found the board and it really found it to be helpful from an emotional standpoint and a medical one.

I get CH from March through May. This time, I went to Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago in February .  

I was put on Verapamil for daily preventative. Dexamethasone when intensity increases to a point I can't continually handle. Migranal for an attack if needed and oxygen. When I called for the appointment the first one was in 6 weeks. I then said I was diagnosed as having CH. Within a moment the schedule was open for me to come in whenever I could make myself available. At least they know the difference between migraine's and CH.

Since taking the Varapamil, I have not been above a Kip 4 and been 1-3 consistently. Which in the past, I would say I was always ranging from a 5-7 daily. I got nervous at the consistent kip 4 and took the steroid which did it's job but I don't know if it was going to get worse or not without the steroid. Didn't want to find out either. I have not used the Migranal yet and hopefully won't have to. I do use the oxygen nightly at 15 for 10-15 minutes at the slightest sense of shadows. Up until this point and knock on wood with your hand not head that I've been somewhat comfortable through this cycle "thus" far and sleep through the night without any issues.

Here's the kicker to my story. I went those years with only my wife knowing that i had these. I was embarassed to tell others. I just made myself vanish for those times I was hit. I finally had to tell my parents because it was happening while they were over at my home. Two hours later after my CH was over I saw my mother was still there and she sat me down and told me that she began getting clusters at 32 years old. She hid it for the same reasons all those years. Telling us and people it was a migraine rather than a CH because she didn't want people to know what happens when she hit a level 10 pain. The migraine was something people either had or saw somebody having that can be understood. Seeing a level 10 CH is something out of horror story.

Needless to say, the board and my mother have been such a help. I also have heard from a lady named Jan that also has been a blessing.

Good luck to everyone!

FK5

Smiley
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Newbie to board
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 5:04pm »

Hi FK

Welcome home.
IP Logged

MJ
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 5:08pm »

So glad you found us. Still amazes me the level of comfort my stupid E-Tanks give me when I'm on cycle. I used to be so terrified of an attack I'd damn near start crying as soon as I felt the tingle start. Now with my lithium, 02 and the occasional imitrex jab, we're on even fighting ground!

So glad you found us, welcome home! Wink

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
jon019
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

"Ya gotta believe!"

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 8:31pm »

Welcome FK5,

That was a wonderfully well written intro. The opening line really grabbed me, it was "funny" in a way only a clusterhead could appreciate.  

Thanks for sharing. Glad you are finding some relief
and that you found "home".

Regards,

Jon
IP Logged

"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names." (that's cluster headache doc)

Chinese proverb
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 8:37pm »

Your home.....start reading!  Wink
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 8:54pm »

Quote:
Still amazes me the level of comfort my stupid E-Tanks give me when I'm on cycle. I used to be so terrified of an attack

Actually Guiseppi has a "thing" with his 02 supplier.  His wife is jealous.    Grin

What I am trying to say is we hate that little green tank because it's ugly, but for those of us who know 02 is a life-saver we look at that tank and the one who delivered it with awe, admiration and love.   It relieives us of our pain.
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss