Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 2:42am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Fired my Doctor »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Fired my Doctor
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fired my Doctor  (Read 1067 times)
Perediablo
New Board Newbie
USA 

Smile that black toothed grin

Fired my Doctor
« on: Apr 28th, 2008, 7:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Now what the hell am I supposed to do? MY wits are going rapidly. I had thought that this was the doctor for me. He listened attentively, asked and answered questions, and was even pretty curious.

I got a return call from him today. Asking what on earth could I possibly use oxygen for. I tried to explain it to him yet again, and he interrupted me 3 stinking times to tell me that that is for the ER to do and that I can't have it. his exact words here, "Well oxygen is used in the ER ok? So I don't think I'll be letting you have it. How did you know about oxygen use? Like I said the ER uses the oxygen so, um, no." I fail to see any logic in that what so ever!!!!!  

Then, "That Prednisone is NOT for long time use. So we have to use NSAIDs go home a google it." I said excuse me?

"since there is a history of these in your family and you've had one before, we just need to keep them in check and we'll be ok." WHAT??!! ONE??!! WTF??!! HISTORY??!! This is where he throws in the NSAIDs comment. yeah! Google this you friggin quack! bigtiny

I'm so mad and crazy right now. I need to get some smokes now.  

Eric
IP Logged

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: Fired my Doctor
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 7:22pm »

Hi Eric,

First off, take a breath...  You have to save your energy for fighting the beast.  This guy isn't worth the energy.  Move on...

There are lots of uninformed docs out there.  Many of us have to go through a few before we find one with enough experience or an open mind willing to learn some new tricks.  You will find one!  

It took me three GPs, and an Opthamologist before I finally found a Dr willing to consider that it might be clusters and get me an appointment with a Neuro that was familiar with CH.  This was a 12 year oddessy!  Of course I own most of that for not being persistent and getting frustrated with the search.

So tomorrow, once you stop fuming, begin your search anew.  This family has lots of TX members.  I'm sure we can get some leads together.  But you need to see a Neurologist.  Preferably one that specializes in headaches.  I'm not sure what your insurance situation is but it may take a GP to get a referal to the right Dr.

Come on Family, there must be someone near this guy!

There are some things you can do to tip the scales in your favor.  So once you do find a Dr that looks like a match, print out the material that supports what you want for a treatment plan and bring it with you to your first appointment.  Offer to leave the materials with him/her so they can get comfortable with where you are coming from.

You'll know pretty quick if there is a match.

In the meantime keep a headache diary so you have a record of attacks, timing and what remedies you've tried and how they fared.

This may take a while.  I know that's the last thing you want to hear while your fighting the beast every night but we all have to deal from where we're at.  

Good luck Eric.  I'll be pulling for you...

-Dennis-
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2008, 7:23pm by DennisM1045 » IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
jjslugdog
New Board Newbie
USA 

Dance all night!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 7:28pm »

I know butt-loads of docs in Lubbock, but no neuros.  I do know some pain management docs, who are more than happy to deal with people who want something other than narcotics.  Not to say narcotics are bad, it's just they have to spend half the day figurin' out who needs 'em, and who is scamin'.  But for pred, o2, verapimil, the normal stuff we use, they have no problem.  I'm very careful with pm docs after my little horror show with oxy.  
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2008, 7:29pm by jjslugdog » IP Logged

Timeslowing, forever, exquisite pain is like the Marine Corps. The few, the proud, the brave.
Perediablo
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 7:57pm »

thanks y'all,

I'm still fuming yeah. This GP guy is in the Family Physicians Clinic at Texas Tech Health Sciences Center. You'd think he'd be a little more willing to research. I mean it is a TEACHING hospital for crying out loud. This will be my 2nd PCP change in less than a year. And the 6th Doctor to basically ignore everything I'd said. this guy has told me that he won't give me a Referral to a Neuro because he thinks his "plan" will work. Insurance wise, it requires a referral to see anyone other than my PCP. So, it's either write a ton of emails and letters to hospital directors, or change PCPs wait one more month or so for an appointment to see if they'll even give me a referral. I'm so NOT liking medical persons atm.  Bah friggin humbug.

Eric
IP Logged

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Perediablo
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 8:21pm »

Forgot to mention. The Pred taper stopped yesterday. Anyone know how long that crap stays behind in your system? I think my wife'll shoot me if I snap at her anymore.

Migraine and tension type headaches all day today, no hits though after my usual 2:50am 40 minute wrencher. Energy drink didn't touch the tension HAs today.
IP Logged

mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 9:46pm »

hi eric

So sorry to hear about your troubles-  I had a frustrating experience with my first neuro too-  I brought an article from this site too that listed treatment options for ch.  He still gave me the wrong meds-  I can relate with the poor bedside manner too- treating you like you have no idea what you're talking about -  I knew on my last visit to him when he was handing me the scripts ( for meds i knew weren't indicated for CH)  that I had to find  a  new doctor-  my worry was continuing to live in pain until that time-

What i did was get on the ouch site and look up doctors reccomended by other ch sufferrers in my state.  I called one in my area ( the only one in my area)  and I must have sounded desperate on the phone ( and the nurse was a gem too)  they let me come in the next day-

Suffice it to say- great move-  

In the meantime though-  get on the site , research the doctors in your area and start calling-  If you need that referral from your GP, you may want to insist on seeing him one last time, arm yourself with the treatment info on the website, give him a copy,  and insist on a referral to a neuro -
( preferably one reccommended by a fellow CH sufferer)

You could also try calling your insurance company directly and explain the situation- maybe they would be willing to hook you up with a referral given the urgency of the situation - ( i've not tried that route- but it may be worth it to explore all options)

Your question about preds-  for me personally with  preds - I noticed a mood change for the positive about 3 days after my taper stopped- Others may be different I am sure-  I hear you about the significant other ready to kill you-  Preds don't allow me to filter my mouth-  I seriously said to my husband after he innocently walked into the room one day while on preds-" what the hell are you doing in here?"  Grin  - Of course that was after about 15 previous days of other similar evil behavior on my part!

I'm sure others will be on here soon to offer hope, support and advice-  In the meantime - hang in there
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 12:31pm »

1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. http://www.achenet.org  On-line screen to find a physician.

5. http://www.headaches.org/ Look for "Physician Finder" search box.  Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder"Wink which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #7 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 4:45pm »

wow.....what a moron. I hope he happens across this site tonight to read me calling him a moron. Get a clue.  Is it totally impossible that a doctor does not know everything.  Some people just can not put their ego aside and listen to someone who just might be more educated about a particular topic.  What doctor has never heard of home oxygen use?  Are you kidding me.  Where did he get his degree, clown college?  

Sorry but reading that pissed me off.  Don't want to add fuel to your fire certainly but I understand your anger.  Get yourself a neuro who has a clue.
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 5:20pm »

that situation truly sucks.

I used a bit of shame with my GP when he tried shades of the same crap with me. My angle was along the lines of, "Why do you want to deny me the most effective and proper treatments for Cluster Headache? I'm giving you research that shows that the top nuero's in the world recommend a, b and c, yet you don't want to believe them? You would choose instead to have me suffer this unspeakable pain in favor of your recommendations that are, based on the information I've just given you, completely useless."

These guys are not gods and they deserve to be shamed when they do this.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
richcurtin
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 10:46pm »

It is amazing how many morons make it through medical school!

A doctor can not know everything, but they should be willing to learn if they have a patient who needs help. They can pick up a book, do an internet search, or consult with another doctor.  

Choosing to remain ignorant is inexcusable!

IP Logged
bnewman
New Board Newbie
USA 

IT CAN'T LAST FOREVER!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 11:20pm »

Hi Eric
 If you can't get a doctor to get you o2. Find some where that rents 02 tanks for welding. Thats what I have it cost me $45.00 a year for the tank and $25.00 for refills.. It might sound crazy but it works I have been using it for 7 years now. You can check at your local hospital go to the respiratory therapy dept and ask can you buy a regulator or if they have a couple of broke ones if you can get them and make one good. Or check ebay. Thats one way to go ahead and get o2. Your doctor sounds like a real jack***.  
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2008, 11:23pm by bnewman » IP Logged

Brenda
Perediablo
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 2:05pm »

cool tip on the welders o2. We've sent an email to the administration level at the hospital. Since both my wife and I are employees of the University, we thought it might get a little pull. My wife wrote the email, and got an inside track around the complaint department straight into the admin channels. Hope it gets someone off their ass. If not, there's another competing hospital just down the street wiling to take my insurance. Tongue  

Fingers are crossed 2, days with no hits. Now I just need to arm myself for next time.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss