Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 1:34pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « A Breakthrough??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   A Breakthrough???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A Breakthrough???  (Read 8231 times)
icedragon
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

A Breakthrough???
« on: May 16th, 2008, 1:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been a sufferer for 15 years, and up until 2004 suffered attacks several times a year.  I was in remission for almost 4 years until three weeks ago.  Out of nowhere they returned.  Cry  So, I have been racking my brain for three weeks now, as I am sure most clusterheads do, wondering what it was that broke the last cycle Undecided, and in my case for 4 years.  I think I have found the answer.  I have a history of sinus infections/alergies, and wouldn't you know it, I had one right before this cycle started also.  But wait, I wasn't having sinus infections over the last 4 years either, what gives.  

About 3 years ago I went to see my Doc about a snoring problem I have that started getting out of control.  It was not only preventing my wife from sleeping, it was waking me up as well.  The Doc felt that allergies could be a part of it and wrote me a script for FLONASE nasal spray.  I came home, used it, and my snoring problems decreased.  Every year since, when my allergies started to act up, I would use Flonase to keep my allegies and snoring in check.

So, here I am three weeks into a new cycle, banging my head against the wall.  I am using O2/ice like a fiend, back on Verapamil, Missing work, fighting the Insurance company on med limits for Zomig, Imitrex and other triptans, and a trip to the E.R.  We all know the drill.  Anyway, there it sat right next to all my other meds, this little brown bottle with a giant green cap.  

GrinTwo days ago I picked it up and used it.  The rest of that day I felt some shadows but no more attacks.  By the end of that day I actually had a regular headache (what my wife and I call a good HA,) a little bit of discomfort on both side of the top of my head.  I don't know about the rest of you, but this is something I experience when a cycle is coming to an end.  That night I slept great, not one attack.  I actually woke up and was able to go to work.  While at work, I felt a shadow at one point but it went as quickly as it came.  The rest of the day was CH free.  I do have to be honest with you, last night, while sleeping, I woke a little after midnight with that familiar tension in my neck and tingling behind my eye.  I thought, OH CRAP, and sat up.  As quickly as I sat up I felt the tension melt away.  Really weird!!!  I actually stumbled out of bed in disbelief and sat down in the living room just to be sure the monster was not playing tricks on me, but nothing.  I went back to bed and slept great.  I woke this morning and felt it important that I share this experience with my fellow Clusterheads.  

I am currently still taking my verapamil and now taking a hit of Flonase in each nostril to start my day.  I hope my story helps some of you, if not all of you, with your battle with the monster.  I will be sure to keep you all updated with my situation, and if anyone has any questions, don't be affraid to ask.  

Peace out
Icedragon

IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: A Breakthrough???
« Reply #1 on: May 16th, 2008, 3:37pm »

I suspect that you have stumbled across a recognized trigger for CH: sleep apnea. Your nasal spray has likely eased your breathing problem while sleeping, i.e., reduced the underlying impact of a undiagnosed sleep apnea problem.  

Obviously, a refocusing of your experience but--I'd suggest that you print out the following and share with our doc. It may well shift his focus to a condition which has become fairly established as a trigger for CH.
=======
Headache. 2004 Jun;44(6):607-10.  

Obstructive sleep apnea and cluster headache.

Graff-Radford SB, Newman A.

The Pain Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center and UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA.

A patient with cluster headache often wakes from sleep. The relationship to sleep apnea has been described. This study sought to confirm the relationship cluster may have with sleep apnea. METHODS: Thirty-nine consecutive patients diagnosed with episodic cluster headache according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria were sent for polysomnographic studies. All patients were in an active phase when they were in the study. Patients were told of the proposed relationship and were allowed to choose a sleep laboratory close to their home. RESULTS: Thirty-one patients with episodic cluster headache completed an overnight polysomnographic study. Twenty-three were male and eight female. The average age was 51 years (range 33 to 78 years). The average weight was 173 pounds (range 117 to 260 pounds). A total of 80.64% had sleep apnea (25/31). Average respiratory depression index (RDI) was 19.0 (SD 14.6) with 6 patients having no apnea, 10 having mild, 11 having moderate, and 4 having severe apnea (RDI < 5 = none; RDI 5 to 20 mild; RDI 20 to 40 moderate; RDI > 40 severe). Oxygen saturation decreased on average to 88.4% SD 4.5. Sleep efficiency was 76.2% (SD 13.4). CONCLUSIONS: The data closely approximate those of Chervin et al, where 80% had RDI > 5. The relationship sleep apnea has in the perpetuation or precipitation of cluster headache is still to be determined. There are some reports that treatment stops the cluster but there is no prospective study. The high incidence (80.64%) seen in this population suggests the cluster patient should receive a sleep evaluation and perhaps intervention with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) or an appropriate dental device.

PMID: 15186306  
-----
Cephalalgia. 2003 May;23(4):276-9. Related Articles, Links  

Cluster headache associated with sleep apnoea.

Nobre ME, Filho PF, Dominici M.

Universidade Federal Fluminense, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. eduarda@imagelink.com.br

This study of sleep changes in patients with cluster headache (CH) was conducted in view of the nocturnal predominance of this condition, the efficacy of oxygen and the fact that the attacks follow oxygen desaturation. Proposed mechanisms include impairment of carotid body activity secondary to hypothalamic vasomotor regulatory dysfunction. Sixteen patients with episodic CH and 29 healthy volunteers underwent nocturnal polysomnography. Five (31.3%) patients with episodic CH were found to have sleep apnoea (SA). Two patients with SA experienced two attacks during the study period. The attacks followed episodes of oxygen desaturation and were associated with REM sleep. In two patients with SA and CH, treatment with continuous positive airway pressure abolished their oxygen desaturation, sleep apnoeas and headaches. Our study confirmed the high percentage of CH associated with SA. We suggest that oxygen desaturation may be a trigger factor in some patients and play a role in the pathogenesis of CH.

Publication Types:  
Comparative Study  

PMID: 12716345 [PubMed]
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2008, 3:42pm by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
judyjudyjudy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 16th, 2008, 4:32pm »

Bob, I am thankful you shared that...I can't believe in all my years I've never heard and apnea and cluster connection before.  My father has severe sleep apnea, and I know that can run in families.  My hubby has been telling me I snore.  Something I should check out.

Thanks, Judy
IP Logged
KJ
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 16th, 2008, 5:52pm »

JudyJudyJudy,

Your screen name cracks me up. It's from the Andy Griffith show, correct? Grin
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 16th, 2008, 7:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Judy Judy Judy

Cary Grant in "Only Angels Have Wings".
IP Logged
KJ
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 16th, 2008, 7:49pm »

Myth, Chewy.

Peter Bogdanovich believes that the genesis of the imitation came from Grant's delivery in several lines in Only Angels Have Wings.. 'In the film his former girl friend is called Judith or Judy (played by Rita Hayworth). Cary has lines like "Hello, Judy. Come on, Judy. Now, Judy." But he never said "Judy, Judy, Judy." '  
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 16th, 2008, 7:53pm »

Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

KJ
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

Gomer Pyle: Me and Goober areRe: A Breakthrough???
« Reply #7 on: May 16th, 2008, 7:56pm »

Chewy-

Gomer Pyle: Me and Goober are goin' down to see that Cary Grant movie. Goober never misses a Cary Grant movie. He studies him. You want to hear him take off on Cary Grant? C'mon, Goober; do Cary Grant.  
Goober Pyle: Well, I don't know...  
Andy Taylor: Well, Gom, if he doesn't want to...  
Goober Pyle: I'll do it! Judy, Judy, Judy!  
Gomer Pyle: [Laughing hysterically] Ain't that great, Andy? How do you do it? Let me try; Judy, Judy, I can't do it. Andy, couldn't you just swear it was Cary Grant standin' right before you in this room?  
Andy Taylor: Uh, yeah, Gomer; that was real good, Goober.  
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 16th, 2008, 9:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Peter Bogdanovich believes that the genesis of the imitation came from Grant's delivery in several lines in Only Angels Have Wings.. 'In the film his former girl friend is called Judith or Judy (played by Rita Hayworth). Cary has lines like "Hello, Judy. Come on, Judy. Now, Judy." But he never said "Judy, Judy, Judy." '  

Yup. I read that to but evry time I've heard that phrase its been in a Cary Grant voice. They dont build actors like him anymore.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2008, 9:54pm by chewy » IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #9 on: May 16th, 2008, 10:22pm »

on May 16th, 2008, 9:54pm, chewy wrote:

Yup. I read that to but evry time I've heard that phrase its been in a Cary Grant voice. They dont build actors like him anymore.

Guest?
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #10 on: May 16th, 2008, 10:55pm »

on May 16th, 2008, 10:22pm, Brew wrote:

Guest?

Yeah, WTF?
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
icedragon
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: May 17th, 2008, 12:57am »

Wow!  Cary Grant?  Did you know Cary was a wife beater?  bash

Anyway, back to the topic...

Bob, you might be on to something there, thanks for the info.   I will be sure to bring it up with the Doc.  At the same time, My use of Flonase was in the morning, and it seemed to break the cycle of CH I was in before going to bed that night.  It could be just a coincidence, but for any C-Her that has an allergy component involved in their cycle, it might just be what they are looking for.  Here is a link for those who want to give it a try just so you know exactly what I am refering to:

http://www.flonase.com/
IP Logged
judyjudyjudy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: May 17th, 2008, 8:22pm »

on May 16th, 2008, 7:49pm, KJ wrote:
Myth, Chewy.

This is also what I've heard to be true.  Never stops people from calling me "Jooo-daay, Jooo-daay,Jooo,daay" however.

Judy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss