Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 19th, 2024, 2:43am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Vials of Imitrex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Vials of Imitrex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Vials of Imitrex  (Read 9910 times)
mollybo
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Vials of Imitrex
« on: May 19th, 2008, 4:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I asked my doctor for Imitrex injections, and she gave me a script.  I wasn't specific about what form I wanted it in, and got vials and vials of Imitrex from my mail-order pharmacy.

I haven't had a headache bad enough to use one yet - a cycle just started last night but I mistook it for a migraine and took a Maxalt.  So I couldn't use the Imitrex until just about now because of the 24-hour rule.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what to do.  I have insulin needles (for my diabetic cat; yes, really) and can use those.  I know I inject just under the skin, but does it matter where?

I never thought I was scared of needles, but maybe I am.  I'm sure I'll get over it - it can't be worse than a Kip 6 or more.
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

Re: Vials of Imitrex
« Reply #1 on: May 19th, 2008, 6:00pm »

Dear Mollybo:

I usually use the thigh, not near the knee or the groin area.  I pinch up some flesh on the top of the thigh and put the needle in.

I may be a little germ conscious, but I use an alcohol prep pad on the vial and on the skin of my thigh before injecting the meds.  Press the plunger steadily and not too fast, maybe over 5 to 10 seconds.

You can also use the flesh on your belly, or someone else can give you a shot in your upper arms.  

I hope this helps a little,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
mollybo
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 19th, 2008, 7:14pm »

OK, that sounds reasonable.  I thought you had to do it in your stomach and that freaked me right out.  (shudder)
IP Logged
mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: May 19th, 2008, 10:04pm »

molly

usually with the stat dose i get a kit that contains the dosage that you load into an injector.  Did you get those?  If not I would ask for one at your pharmacy.  I'm not sure about those needles for your cat.  It is a little daunting at first jabbing yourself with the plungerlike thing- but after the first time you get used to it and the relief is worth it.  The kit is gray and has the injector in it.  Maybe your pharmacy could give you one without the meds in it since you already got your vials?  not sure what insulin needles look like?  i inject in my thigh- the fattiest part - my pain subsides in about 5 minutes

kelly
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: May 20th, 2008, 11:03am »

Molly, I use the .5cc, 31 gauge, short needle syringes.  I barely feel a thing when I use them.  I usually inject in the stomach (be sure to stay at least one inch away from the navel), outside of the thigh or upper arm.

The following file from the National Institutes of Health tells how/where to give a subcutaneous injection.

http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/patient_education/pepubs/subq.pdf

I also preload several syringes and keep them in a hard shell eyeglasses case.  When the time comes, I don't have to worry about drawing up a syringe while wiping a watery eye or screwing up and bending a needle trying to draw up a syringe while in pain.
IP Logged
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 21st, 2008, 7:12pm »

Thanks for the info Gator! I asked if I could do it in the stomach and the pharmicist looked at me like I was crazy! Next time I need a shot I will try it this way. Seems I have a bit more flab on the tummy region than I do on the thigh!
IP Logged
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 24th, 2008, 8:45pm »

Molly, your doc needs to prescribe you some syringes, and as Gator said, insulin syringes are best, as the needles are very small, and very painless. Unless the state you live in let's you buy syringes over the counter.  

One thing about getting the vials, is they have the same amount of medication in them as a stat-dose injection. Each vial is one dose. Some people like to split the shots... I get 3 shots per vial, even though I can use the entire amount in the vial for one shot, if I'm having a really bad hit.

Otherwise, I find splitting the shots gives me the relief I need, without feeling as much in side effects, or getting rebounds.

Gator's trick of keeping some loaded inside a hard shell glasses case is a truly excellent idea. Sometimes, when I'm getting hit bad, I cannot deal with loading a syringe, and having them all ready to go helps a lot. Just make sure you keep a copy of your script with the glasses case, for both the trex, and syringes, just in case.

I give shots in my stomach, or arm, or leg. I used to use alcohol prep pads, but don't anymore. What Ray said about pinching up some skin is good. I pinch up skin at my stomach. Don't be afraid of the needle... after your first shot, you'll be an old pro at it. And it really is the fastest way to get the trex in your system.
IP Logged

Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 25th, 2008, 10:23am »

I have to agree with Purpleydog. I usually get three hits out of one vial. The first time I did a shot I used half the vial and the sensation was a little scary. Keep in mind that this is medicine constricts the vessels in your brain and when you do a shot vs. pills or nasal form this happens very quickly. I would reccomend you try the 1/3 first. You can always give yourslef another shot if you do not get reliefe in 5 to 10 min.

I do not know if others here have had the same experience or not but I at least wanted to give you a heads up in case you experience the same. The sensation creeps me out a little but medicine taking immediate effect is truly a wonderful thing.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #8 on: May 25th, 2008, 10:32am »

on May 25th, 2008, 10:23am, Trooper wrote:
Keep in mind that this is medicine constricts the vessels in your brain...

I would only add that it does not discriminate - it constricts all of your blood vessels, including your coronary arteries, which is why for some heart patients it is a no-no.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss