Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 11:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Shroom update »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Shroom update
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shroom update  (Read 1664 times)
Henk

Email

Shroom update
« on: Dec 14th, 2002, 3:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi folks,

It's a while ago since I updated here and there's still good news from my side! It's almost 1 year ago since I used *any* kind of medication. CH isn't gone completely, but it's no more than some mild shadows.

After six years of being chronic, CH moved *very* much to the background. It was hard to supress the devil at first. Took some shroom tea every 2 weeks for about 6 months. But then the beast went quiet, *very* quiet.

I can safely consume some alcohol ( 1 or 2 glasses of wine per week, wich seems a good 'test' for me as is was a big nono for a long time ) but much more important: going to sleep is no longer such a painfull experience  Cheesy

THANK YOU shroom pioneers!! And many thanks to mother nature for having shrooms  Smiley To me they were a life saver. And THANK YOU ch.com, cause here is where I found out about shrooms

For the people who are afraid of "doing drugs": It was NO problem at all to leave my shroom stock alone once there was no more use in taking them! There was no craving at all for another trip. I found it easy to draw the line between medicinal and recreational use, even though I had big fun during some trips. And since I grew my own, there's a large stock at hand here *grin*
I'll leave it alone till the beast returns. My CH is doing very, very bad ( so I am fine! ) And my intuition tells me to keep this "steady as she goes" till there are signs that action is required.

Many greetings to all you clusterheads, I realy hope that more of you find some kind of solution to this horrible condition. I managed to survive 6 years with the beast, but surviving and having a life are different things!  

Henk

IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Shroom update
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2002, 10:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Henk - Really glad you found some success  Grin  
hang tough
domm
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2002, 11:10am »

Wow Henk, that is great!  I have got to ask you some questions so please bear with me.  Does this mean that you currently are having shadows or other neurological symptoms but no CH pain attacks?  How long has this been happening, for the entire past year?  I'm sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself, I just want to make sure of what you're saying (because I need some kind of hope).  It seems like there are now at least 3 of us who are experiencing this after the shrooms.  I ask these questions because I really would like to know the true mechanism of how the psilocybin works, I'm wondering if maybe it also has an effect on on some neurochemical process other than 5HT receptors.  

My story:  I used to be episodic with 6 month cycles.  My current cycle started in September 2001 (14 months ago).  In May 2002 and June 2002 I tried to taper off of verapamil several times because that is when my cycle was expected to end.  I could not taper off verapamil because every time the CH Beast would attack.  By July 2002 I started to freek because the cycle was 10 months and I was very afraid of becoming chronic, so I decided that I needed to try the shrooms.  In July 2002 I tapered off of verapamil and stopped taking any imitrex (I only used O2... let me tell you that was not an easy thing to do, I was still getting crushed with CH and verapamil was the primary thing restraining the CH beast).  I started dosing mid-July 2002.  I noticed that the psilocybin had a good effect in reducing the frequency and severity of CH attack for about a week.  Basically it was more effective on a per-dose basis than anything else I've tried.  After a week, I needed to redose.  I dosed weekly until about mid-October 2002.  I stopped dosing in mid-October because the CH pain attacks subsided.  My last actual CH pain attack was about 6 weeks ago.  But for some reason, the shadows and other neurological CH symptoms are still with me.  Now, at certain times of the day I get all my typical CH neurological symptoms... except for the pain.  My current symptoms include pressure behind eye, extreme left nasal congestion, burning eye, watery eye, red eye, itchy eye, and occasional short sharp shooting pains behind eye.

I don't really know why my pain cycle subsided.  It could be that was just the way the cycle was going to go, but maybe the psilocybin is having some sort of lasting effect that is preventing me from experiencing the CH pain.  I don't know.

Yes, I agree with you, psilocybin does not cause dependence.  It has been given an un-just reputation.  In my opinion, alcohol is a more damaging drug and yet some people have no qualms about abusing it because of it's 'legal' status.

Thanks for the update, Henk
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2002, 7:22pm »

I find this subject really interesting....I have tried them for recreational a long time ago.......wes hasn't but I think he's going to give it a go....let you know if we get hold of some, how he gets on....happy to hear that you're getting good results. Smiley

Cathy Smiley
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 3:46am »

Henk-HELL YEAH!!!

Eyes- I'm still experiencing CH symptoms here and there, but I've only had one actual attack (Kip 4) in about three months now.  I dosed the day after that and haven't had a full blown attack since.  And I've been able to drink wine Cool Cool Cool.

I'm happy about that one.

Peace-R
IP Logged
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 3:50am »

Cathy-

http://www.lilshopofspores.com/

http://www.mycotopia.net/

Hope this helps!

R
IP Logged
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 5:56am »

Greetings Henk!
This is good news indeed! Really happy to hear that the news is all good. Long may it continue!There's hope for Mopar yet!
firebrix
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 6:14am »

Thanks rick.....know what to get him for crimbo now...!!! ;D

Cathy
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 10:01am »

Great news, Henk. It's good to hear that a chronic has made this work. It seems it's much more difficult for chronics to find long-term relief, but it's starting to look like the continued dosing will break the Beast.

And those funny little mushrooms do work  My update: eleven months pain free. Took my first treatment (half gram of cubensis, trip level 1-1.5, done twice) while in cycle in July of '01 and got two months relief. Then the beast would return, I'd do the two doses five days apart and get another two months relief. (I am apparently an episodic with very long cycles.)

In January '02, took another half-gram but this time it was azurenscens, twice as potent as cubensis.  Had a level 2.5-3 trip, more than I expected, but not unpleasent; followed that with a quarter-gram for the second dose and have been pain free since.

Almost. Every month or so, I would get a few days of warning signs -- mild to moderate shadows, the scalp tingle, a little tinnitus, maybe a "cluster zit"-- and I would start thinking about preparing for the Beast's return, only to have the signs fade away for another month.  

Just this morning had a hint of a shadow and a brief tingle in the scalp, but not getting excited. If the signs last more than a week, or the beast does make a full-blown visit, I will prepare to dose again.

And I agree. Shrooms do not foster physical addiction or psychological cravings. I have not been tempted in the least to tap into my supply since January.

Eyes afire -- I noted you mentioned "itchy eye" as one of your "non-pain" symptoms.  I get these weird attacks occasionally, usually out-of-cycle, that include all the usual symptoms -- nasal congestion and discharge, pupil constriction, lasts about an hour, etc. -- but instead of intense pain, an intense itchy feeling in the eye and the lacrimal (? tear duct) area. I've mentioned this on the board before, but no one ever said they also experienced this phenomenon.

I will issue my usual disclaimer: Shrooms are not for everyone; take care if you have emotional problems or psychological insecurity; research carefully, avoid street drugs. BUT... I read of  prednisone, sansert and other drugs with the horrifying side effects, withdrawal problems; circulatory side effects with verapil; and the incredible expense of Imitrex, even when it works well. Then folks say they can't see themselves taking a psychedelic drug...they are afraid of the effects, afraid of the illegality, afraid of possible dependence and abuse.  

I want to scream "TRY THE SHROOMS!" but I restrain myself.

It's up to each individual how they battle the Beast, and you shouldn't take hallucinogens if you fear them. But why fear them? Seems to me the indole ring hallucinogens (psilocin, psilocybin, LSD) are the best pharmocological treatment yet found.

Now stepping off soapbox,  

-tommyD
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2002, 10:07am by tommyD » IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 12:28pm »

tommyD - happy for ya, man. Your comments about taking 'shrooms versus other "legal" medicines make perfect sense to me. I'm one of the lucky episodics who have cycles only every 2 to 3 years. Conventional treatments, for me, are covered by insurance and more importantly - work. If they stop working - I will seek alternative methods of battling the beast.  
PFDANs to ya and have a great holiday
domm
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 9:57pm »

Well TommyD, now you know of someone here who does get that same intense itchy eye feeling that you get  Grin.  I also get a twitching eye (and today it has been twitching).  I'm allergic to tree pollen, so I can say that the itchy eye feels very much like my tree pollen allergy, except I know it is not caused by tree pollen because it's only my left eye when in cycle and because the trees aren't pollenating now.  So I'm guessing that the itchy eye is due to a histamine release, which is believed to occur during or before CH.  I know that itchy eye and twitchy eye are not universal CH symptoms, but those symptoms are definately associated with my CH.
IP Logged

firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

« Reply #11 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 11:32pm »

Thanx tommyD!
Really good to hear you're having success with the shrooms. To hear this is most encouraging! Thanx for bothering to share with us.
Long may your PFDAN continue.
PFDAN to you all
firebrix
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
Flash

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 5:20am »

Folks,

I have mentioned this phenomina (however dat spelt), of phantom attacks subsequent to aborting/preventing cycles with hallucinogens, many times in the past.

Sometimes I go a week here or there of waking up with a shadow in the morning, but it never comes to anything.

I also experienced itchy/teary/twitchy eye but don't relate this to the CH - who knows though?

Pinky was skeptical of the phantom attacks, but I notice that several people have reported them over the years.  Sometimes it feels like your in an episode but only the pain is absent.  It's like your body wants to have CH but is being prevented from doing so.  The problem with this is that is is hard to relate phantom attacks to out current best guess theory.  They don't seem to fit.

One other thing I have also mentioned in the past, might be worth repeating it in case anyone else experiences it - this will save them months of worry!  For the past 2 years I have experienced twitching in virtually every muscle in my body at some time.  Just like in the eye, but could be leg, buttock, arm, stomach...  Apparently these are called muscle fascillations.  They are also a symptom of MND/ALS.  Now after 2 distressing years I'm convinced that I don't have MND/ALS.  I should also point out that things often twitch for days on end, and that something twiches pretty much every day.  Sorry I know thing sounds funny but I fuckin shat myself with worry for a long time.

The facillations were made worse the more I worried about them, and become almost unnoticable now that I don't worry about them, however they are still there.

There is a benign condition that also causes this but nobody knows why.  I only mentioned because I too get the eye fascillations.  In fact I got those first.  Eye fascillations are common among motorcyclists, and often accompanied by tearing etc due to exposure to cold air.  Since I ride a bike, and the attacks happened when riding in the cold I figured they were related to that.

I only mentioned this just in case anyone else starts twitching because i wouldn't want them to go through 2 years of worry like me.

Flash
IP Logged
ave

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17th, 2002, 8:17pm »

Dearest Flash, you and Pink are my heroes in a way. Thanks again for the support at my first try.

Since I took my second batch of shrooms, I have been getting these "silent" or ghost attacks. Especially since late spring I get them 2/3 times a day. They don't wake me at night, but if I stay awake after 2.00 am I get them.
I have called it low level chronic, lol.
The beast is there and is touching all the points he used to torture. It just does not hurt. Good chance it was shrooms that gagged the beast.

IP Logged
pinksharkmark
New Board Veteran
Dominican_Rep 

Clusterhead

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 27th, 2002, 9:46pm »

on Dec 14th, 2002, 3:12am, Henk wrote:
Hi folks,

It's a while ago since I updated here and there's still good news from my side! It's almost 1 year ago since I used *any* kind of medication. CH isn't gone completely, but it's no more than some mild shadows.

Thank you so much for your update, Henk. I always appreciate your way of covering all the important points without being too "wordy", and the information itself is fascinating.

As to the increasing number of reports we are getting regarding "shadows" and "painless CH" post-mushrooms,  I disagree that it is necessary to abandon the "resetting the hypothalamus" theory of psilocybin action in order to explain it. It may be that for certain individuals, the psilocybin is insufficient to reset things to a completely "out-of-cycle" state... perhaps it is only partway reset.

Notice the symptoms described are usually those that many of us consider warning signs... it is as if there is a continuum of symptoms, starting first with a tingle or an itch, then progressing to reddened and teary eyes, stuffy nose, then finally escalating levels of pain. The pain is the LAST stage of the progression of symptoms. For whatever reason, those who have dosed with mushrooms experience only the first half of that continuum, and some even less than half. One could reasonably speculate that the brain of someone who has tried psilocybin says something like, "Okay, Beast... I will malfunction only up to THIS point, but no further!"

Again Henk, it was great to hear of your success. To go from a longterm chronic to a med-free person (an entire year, at that) with only occasional shadows is one hell of a success story.  

I urge all who have tried this therapy to update us periodically, even if it is just to say that you are still pain free.  

My turn: I have been painfree since my last dose of mushrooms about ten months ago, but I have had remissions as long as fourteen or fifteen months between cycles in the past even before I started using mushrooms. I do intend to do a "booster" dose one of these days soon... I just never seem to get around to it. I believe it is best to take periodic doses (maybe twice a year) while in remission rather than wait for the warning signs to manifest themselves, so do as I say rather than as I do (or don't)! Take your booster shot NOW!

pinky

IP Logged
JoeyT

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 29th, 2002, 10:15am »

Can someone tell me how I can get some 'shrooms' asap.  It really sounds like something to investigate.  I have read some of the info on shrooms but it sounds like a LONG and difficult process to grow them.  I tried them many years ago in High School but at that time I didn't get CHs.  
IP Logged
Flounder
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

sing sweet songs to rock my soul

« Reply #16 on: Dec 29th, 2002, 1:08pm »

Hey Folks,

Great news Henk! I hope you get continued success.

It’s been about three months pain free for me now since my last dose. I do get twinges in my temple but they are very brief and they don't bother me like they did at first. I know that the beast will not break through so it’s no big deal.

Mitch
IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #17 on: Dec 30th, 2002, 8:17am »

Joey T -  

No one here will sell you shrooms. I, and others, DO NOT recommend buying shrooms on the street. It is too risky. The shooms could be adulterated with other drugs, or they might be some other kind of mushroom - perhaps a toxic species (some mushrooms have psychoactive effects and toxic effects as well). Remember, you are dealing with a criminal element when you buy street drugs. Safety and ethics are not a street dealer's main concern.

Best idea is to grow your own, I'm afraid. Get started as soon as possible. And remember, shrooms work best if you are out of cycle, and if you have "de-toxed" from medications. Meanwhgile, do the research, check out the Clusterbusters FAQ and website, read the archives on past posts to this message board.  

The FAQ:
http://home.attbi.com/~rwold350/

The Website: www.geocities.com/clusterbusters2002/
(the website may be temporarily down - keep trying, it will be back)

This is not a treatment to try in haste. That's easy for me to say when I'm pain-free, but try and hang in there.  

-tommyD
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
pinksharkmark
New Board Veteran
Dominican_Rep 

Clusterhead

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 30th, 2002, 8:56pm »

on Dec 29th, 2002, 10:15am, JoeyT wrote:
I have read some of the info on shrooms but it sounds like a LONG and difficult process to grow them.

It may SOUND like a long and difficult process when you read some of the detailed grow guides, but believe me it is much easier to grow them than to read about growing them. The authors of those guides go to considerable trouble to describe everything as exactly as possible and to anticipate all potential difficulties, 99% of which never happen.

Stripped of all the details, this is what you need to do:

1) Prepare the mushroom "soil" and load it into glass jars with lids

2) Boil the filled jars in a big pot for an hour, let them cool to room temperature

3) Inject spore solution into the jars, place the jars in a dark spot, and wait around two to three weeks for the mushroom "roots" to fill the jars

4) Remove the "cakes" from the jars, place them in a sealed container with high humidity. Air out the container once or twice a day. Wait a week or two.

5) Harvest mushrooms. Wait a week or two for the next crop, harvest, etc. After three or four crops the "cakes" will be exhausted and can be discarded.

As for timing, if you do everything exactly as the guides say, and keep the temperatures at the ideal spot for each part of the growing cycle, it is not that unusual to harvest your first mushrooms in four weeks, although 5 to 7 weeks is more likely. Call it 6 weeks from the time you inject the spores.

pinky
IP Logged
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #19 on: Dec 31st, 2002, 2:29am »

on Dec 30th, 2002, 8:56pm, pinksharkmark wrote:

It may SOUND like a long and difficult process when you read some of the detailed grow guides, but believe me it is much easier to grow them than to read about growing them.

Amen.  Growing them is as complex as a junior high science project, far less intimidating then it ever might appear to be.
IP Logged
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 1st, 2003, 1:38am »

Pinky,  
You forgot the most important part.
You must sing to them as you fan, just not country.
Happy Farmin!!
Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
talitha
New Board Newbie

Walking by faith

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 7:11pm »

Is it illegal to grow your own?
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 7:26pm »

According to the US federal government, psilocybin and psilocin are schedule I controlled substances.  The government classifies substances as schedule I supposedly because they are considered highly addictive and have no medical use (apparently the government is wrong on both counts).  Therefore it is a federal (USA) crime to be in possession of psilocybin and/or psilocin.
So the answer is:  Yes, it is illegal.
IP Logged

Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 8:29pm »

Although I have No Problem straying from the straight and narrow every now and then, our beloved government has put a whole new light on the 'illegality" of Hallucinogens, per the link below:

http://www.ndsn.org/JAN93/LSD.html

With my luck, the "Spore Police" will show up 5 weeks into the project. I'd do better stealing $80 million and committing rape.  
Yup. Makes sense to me........

Prime Crime Time,
RJ

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2003, 8:31pm by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 8:46pm »

Ya rock RJ....

given the opportunity to steal $80 mill..... or kill the MOFO...  

I think I'll go for PF......  Grin ;D ;D

(on the other hand,  

....I got different fingers......)

up yers BrianY.....i LIKE dem ellipsis.......

Cool
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss