Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 11:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anybody taking both Verapamil and Topomax? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anybody taking both Verapamil and Topomax?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anybody taking both Verapamil and Topomax?  (Read 1001 times)
cluster0557
New Board Veteran

Migraines are bad. Clusters are Hell, I have both

bedazzled1051
Email

Re: Anybody taking both Verapamil and Topomax?
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12th, 2003, 9:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dianne,

Constant headache is not that uncommon in clusterheads.

I still have my headache 24/7. Indocin helped but could not get rid of it. Once I maxed the dose of indocin and it still did not get rid of my hemicrani continua headache I changed from Indocin to Celebrex. Numerous forums suggest Celebrex as alternative to Indocin.

I have been on Celebrex for a little over a week and so far the Hemicrani continua has not reduced in severity or gone away. I am supposed to give it another week or two to see what happens.

The are also checking my thyroid as a possible cause of the hemicrani continua headache. I will know more about that next week.

Take care and I will update once I know more

IP Logged

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional

Life is too short so push thru the _amn pain.

Jim
diane
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #26 on: Feb 13th, 2003, 5:56pm »

I also took celebrex for a while, but to no avail.  Hopefully it will work for you!  Have you ever tried alternative methods?  I went to a chiropractor and I almost feel worse...or maybe just scared.  The tension in my neck in shoulders could be from the constant headaches, or is it a way to keep me coming back to a chiropractor.  I haven't been before and am a little skeptical, but I really am at the point to try anything....someone even suggested acupuncture = this sounds way out there for me, but has anyone else tried?  diane
IP Logged
cluster0557
New Board Veteran

Migraines are bad. Clusters are Hell, I have both

bedazzled1051
Email

« Reply #27 on: Feb 13th, 2003, 7:41pm »

I have tried acupuncture and chiro.  

Both wanted me drug free from all migrane meds and prevetatives.

If I was n't chronic I would try them again but since I have been cronic for over a year I am not opening my pain window to alternate approaches and get slammed by a major cluster.
IP Logged

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional

Life is too short so push thru the _amn pain.

Jim
dizzyd
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

kRe: Anybody taking both Verapamil and Topomax?
« Reply #28 on: Feb 14th, 2003, 9:39am »

Hi Diane,

I am new to this board only been here for a couple of weeks so I just came across this thread and the postings.  

I am amazed that is so common for clusterheads to get headaches 24/7...................my God, I have been dealing with this for months, I thought I was crazy and my doctors, my family nobody understands............I just can't believe that I am not the only one.  When I am not having a cluster, I have a migraine, or tension headache or whatever kind of headache but always always a damn friggin headache.

I was also on Topamax since July to January.  At first no problems but as I kept increasing the dosage, the headaches were getting worse and worse and then BANG--- clusters were so severe and out of control I thought I was going to die.  I tapered down and am now off the Topamax and back onto Sansert which I am having trouble getting but I will not get into that on this post.  I am now only suffering from clusters........all other headaches went away.  I am pretty sure that for some reason the Topamax was causing the headaches, docs are skeptical but I can't explain why else, nothing else changed in my life except the dosage of Topamax....so I am only left with that conclusion.

I am not sure what you can do to control your headaches while trying to get pregnant.  I was never able to do this I have been a chronic sufferer for a very long time and unfortuantely due to all the meds I ws never able to "clean" out my system long enough to have more children.  I only have one child and that was before the clusters.  After that pregnancy for some reason the clusters came on and never left.

I wish you all the best and hopefully with the help of a some good docs you will be able work this all out.  Keep reading there are so many suggestions for "natural" remedies, that maybe some of these will help you.

DizzyD
IP Logged
diane
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #29 on: Feb 16th, 2003, 7:29pm »

Dizzy D
     Wow, I got tears in my eyes reading your post.  I really find myself getting depressed over my headaches, but knowing I'm not alone (or going crazy) somehow seems to help.  I was sorry to hear that you were unable to have more children, but I'm sure your child is a blessing.  Getting pregnant will be a miracle for me....the constant headaches really are a mood killer Tongue  I haven't really researched the "naturals" because I have been to trusting that my MD's would cure me...7+ years later and now might be a good time.  Thanks, for some reason your post really touched me.  diane
IP Logged
dizzyd
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #30 on: Feb 17th, 2003, 1:15pm »

Hi Diane,

I am just now reading your response and I am so glad that you do not feel so alone now.  For the longest time (22 years) I have felt alone with this.  I have never known anyone who suffered clusters or from all the constant headaches that I do.  It was only after finding this website and mesage board that I am finally able to communicate with other people who deal with this madness.

Try not to get depressed, I know EXACTLY how hard that is as I have to force myself to face each day especially when the pain never ever stops...........and believe me it is very very difficult.  Sometimes I can not stop the depression especially when you feel so alone BUT I try to console myself by knowing that other people have worse problems and diseases and that I'll be damned if I let the pain control EVERYTHING!!

I have been on every medicine available for clusters as this has been going for 22 years.............I have also tried everything for migraines, I have tried biofeedback, I have tried ice, water, chiropractors, head massage therapy, you name it!!!  Unfortuantely I do not respond well to alot the meds as the dosages are need to too high for my physical bodyand tolerance levels.

I also find that alot of the meds increase all my other headaches and have yet to "stop" the clusters..........so I have stopped taking almost everything except the oxygen.  I use alot of oxygen and after reading the posts here about that I am a little concerned about my overuse so I am trying to cut back on that too.

Have you ever tried Sansert??  i know that you can not get it US anymore but it works for me really well.  It does not put the clusters into remission but it has most definitely STOPPED ALL THE OTHER HEADACHES, and that is a major relief................I am getting the Sansert from a Canadian pharmacy...........takes a few days to get used to it but the other daily side effects are minimal.  I understand about the long-term effects on the cardiac muscles/valves and am very cautious about that.  My doc has me into cardiac ultrasounds every 6 months or after a Sansert stretch and so far everything is good.

As a mother, wife, and working person I have tons of responsibilites and concerns and it can be so difficult, my husband tries to be understanding but it wears on him for me to always be feeling so crappy and well I try hard not to have my daughter see me sick all the time.  She worries so much about it..........

Anyway, I hope things work out for you and understand that sometimes maybe you just need to clean out your system of all the meds and then start over again. Maybe cleaning out to get pregnant would be a good thing.  Also the increase in estrogen during pregnancy may help your headaches too!!  I know several migraine sufferers who were relieved during pregnancy although they did have a few strong bouts in the first 3 months, but after that they were much much better.  

Please feel free to e-mail me privately anytime your feeling down or just want to chat.  I am not a doctor or any expert but I have many many years of personal experience with the pain of clusters and headaches and am a good listener.

Be positive, enjoy the little moments in life, savoring even the small victories, they will help you get through.

Take Care,
DizzyD
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss