Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 12:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Portable O2 Tank »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Portable O2 Tank
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Portable O2 Tank  (Read 438 times)
JoeyT

Email

Portable O2 Tank
« on: Dec 29th, 2002, 10:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I currently am using oxygen in an 'E' tank size. I'm sure most of you a familiar with it.  I am going on a business trip nest month and obviously can't lug one of those tamks with me.  Has anyone used the smaller, more portable tanks?  Can you tell me about how long a tank like that would last at a flow rate of 10L/Min?  Can't imagine it would be very long.

Thanks,

Joey
IP Logged
jonny

Email

Re:  Portable O2 Tank
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29th, 2002, 12:24pm »

Will you be traveling by air?

Airlines wont let you take a tank aboard but they will hit you for $75 to use thiers even if you dont need it....you have to call ahead of time to do this.

If your going by car just toss the tank in the back seat.

..................................jonny
IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30th, 2002, 11:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If you work with a larger medical supply company, they can have a portable tank waiting for you at the airport when you arrive, and one in your hotel room for the duration of your stay. This can be billed to your insurance company, and it is well worth the paperwork hassle. The company should do the legwork for you, contacting the sister company in whatever state you are visiting and arranging O2 delivery and billing with your insurance. Have a safe and pain free trip. Smiley
IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Dave_W
New Board Junior

Pain Free Days!!!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2002, 12:22pm »

Hi Joey!

The guys above gave the good alternatives -- it's true you won't be allowed to get a pressurized bottle on a plane.  You've probably noted that your E tank (about 4 liters empty volume) comes pressurized at about 2500 PSI or a little higher -- so your tank has about 2500/15*4 or maybe 650 standard liters of O2 in it.  At 10 l/min, that'll last a bit over an hour.

The next size down (D) carries about 2/3 as much, and so on.  http://www.uoequipment.com/prod04.htm has some typical medical oxygen capacities.

If you can easily get hold of someone like NexAir, PraxAir, or AirLiquide, they'll have dealers in all the major cities.

Best of luck, and PFD's on your trip!!!!!

Old Goober Dave
IP Logged

Old Decrepit Dave
JoeyT

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30th, 2002, 12:27pm »

Thanks to everyone for offering suggestions.  I am actually going to be travelling outside the country.  I will be going from Chicago to Amsterdam and after a few days continuing on to Copenhagen Denmark.  This is a business trip.  If there were anyway i could cancel or postpone it I would.

Has anyone travelled internationally and been able to get at or take with O2?
IP Logged
JoeyT

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30th, 2002, 4:45pm »

The tank that I am talking about is very small.  I have seen people out and about carrying them. The look like a small brief case.  I did a few searches but was unable to find the size I am looking for.  The more that I think about it, this size is probably way too small to hold even enough O2 fro a single headache.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Joey
IP Logged
lulu2000

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31st, 2002, 8:37pm »

I got a O2 tank in Switzerland.  There the pharmacies provided them and you picked up the tank yourself, if you wanted, though you did need a RX.

Also, in this country, I have travelled a lot, have a large tank and several portable tanks in my house.  If I need additional tanks on the road, the oxygen company, which is national, provides them.  There is a monthly charge, insurance pays, for the large tank, but all the portables are called courtesies - free.  I did not ask for that, was told that is how they do it.  I am sure a lot of the companies must do this.
IP Logged
pinksharkmark
New Board Veteran
Dominican_Rep 

Clusterhead

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 12:49am »

JoeyT, check your private messages.
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 2nd, 2003, 10:17am »

Joey,

Good luck with the O2 thing, but.........you're going to COPENHAGEN.  Business "Trip" should be starting to work it's way into your conciousness about now. Best of luck!

Dansk to the music,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14th, 2003, 1:11pm »

I was denied boarding with an M-6 sized tank in my carry-on. If you think about it, it really is like a small bomb if it gets punctured (over 1,000 lbs./cu. in.).

Never thought about having the healthcare company set up a delivery to my hotel, though. That's a great idea if they'll do it and the insurance company will pay for it.

The M-6 tank is about the size of a thermos bottle. At 8 lpm I get two headache's worth out of them. I keep one in my file cabinet at work and about 4 of them at home to replenish empties at work. I use an E tank at home.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss