Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 12:45pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex injection vs. nasal - relief time »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex injection vs. nasal - relief time
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex injection vs. nasal - relief time  (Read 727 times)
rmbreset
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Imitrex injection vs. nasal - relief time
« on: Jan 8th, 2003, 12:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My company has changed healthcare providers my copay for imitrex injections has gone from 10.00 to 50.00,  the nasal is less, but how soon does it provide relief vs. an injection. i get my headaches during my sleep so I awake already in pain.
thanks,
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Imitrex injection vs. nasal - relief time
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 1:06pm »

I always got relief from the ns in 6 to 10 min.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
cbolony
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 1:16pm »

I like the injection but the nasal spray works good
just a little longer than the injection.When i run out
of the injections i used the spray.
IP Logged
rmbreset
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 1:31pm »

Thanks, I can always count on quick answers from this board, don't know what I'd do with out it. Now I just have to price out the difference to see if it's worht it. Of course the problem is my new provider Merkmedco considers a perscription/usage based on a migraine sufferer not a cluster sufferer.
IP Logged
marcatcap
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 6:05pm »

Hi.  Never did that well on the nasal spray but maybe I'll try again since it did work for some of you.  Here's a suggestion - Why not plan on taking a trip to Mexico?  While you are there, you might wander from Pharmacia to Pharmacia collecting the medications you need a an incredible price - less than your co-pay.  That's what I did.  Then you get a nice vacation and sort of beat the insurance Big Brother.  
When I first started using Imitrex injections, several years ago, my insurance would only let me pick up one box at a time from the pharmacy.  After a year of letters back and forth, they let me pick up 3 boxes in case I might need medication on the week-end.  After another year of letters they let me pick up 5 boxes in case I wanted to go on vacation.  They now use a different kind of program when the medication comes from some place that specializes in injectibles and inhalation stuff and the like.  They also deliver and I was able to get 20 boxes at a time.  But get this....if I want Imitrex pills the limit is 9 pills a month.  There is also a limit to the nasal spray, but NO limit on the injections. . . Insane, isn't it?  But all that is moot, my own insurance just expired until I get a new job.  
So, my advice is to explore your options at the insurance company, and don't be afraid to make waves.  You might even look at some kind of supplemental insurance and see how the costs vs. out of pocket measure up.
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 7:03pm »

Never used the injectables. Nasal spray usually takes ten minutes....but I'd usually have been huffing canned air 8 of those minutes.
Managed to get rid of the night time nasties by gnawing on Zomig tabs right before bed.  

Worked like a charm.

Slept like a baby,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Tim_Z
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 11:54pm »

When I first got imitrex my Dr. gave me nasal spray, I thought it was great it worked for me in 10 to 15 minutes maybe a little longer. So I went to get my RX filled. I have a 20% copay and a 15 day supply is $750. They would only give me six inhalers at a time. I used a dozen inhalers and happened to back to my doctor and asked if he had any samples. He only had one inhaler and asked what I thought about giving myself injections. I was game for about anything, so I tried it and got the hang of it. Although I don't like shots I think stat dose pens are the best, they work very fast for me. Since I live in a small town and think I'm about the only person using them He gives me samples all the time. Sorry for the long post. Hang in there.
IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 12:59pm »

I have used both and in my opinion there's a BIG difference in the nasal spray and the auto injector.  
To me the injection seems to work much faster...usually within 5-10 mins compared to 20+ mins with the spray and that extra 10 mins or so can seem a lot longer if you're getting hit bad.  
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Dave_W
New Board Junior

Pain Free Days!!!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 9th, 2003, 2:33pm »

Hi Gang,

I've used both and my results are:  injection less than 5 minutes, nasal spray sometimes right at 5 minutes but always less than 10.

Here in BoomTown Tennessee, the injectors are $65.00 and the nasal sprays are $27.50.  

Insurance picks up 6 per month, no matter what format (injection, spray, or pill).

I always try oxygen first, and if I don't have some relief by the time 15 minutes is up (or if the attack is a 9+), then I do Imitrex.

Ya know, I have a relative who's the local Glaxo rep.  Gonna have to corner her one day....

The Olde Decrepit One  Cool Cool Cool
IP Logged

Old Decrepit Dave
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss