Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 11:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Best Medication for CH? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Best Medication for CH?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Best Medication for CH?  (Read 495 times)
NDC
New Board Newbie

XPC

Best Medication for CH?
« on: Jan 11th, 2003, 9:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What has been the most effective medication for you?
IP Logged
Jarvis
New Board Old Timer

Email

Re: Best Medication for CH?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 11:48am »

NDC- though I have tried most all of the meds that have been available for clusters except shrooms, as a medicinal item, never has one or a combination of any had any real results for me. Prednisone at 80 mg and tapered off can give me a short vacation but makes me want to kill something . Methamphetymenes once stopped a nasty 3 yr cycle but I wouldnt reccomend that.....I do use ephedrine with some results in the daytime hours. My main med is pushups wich help create endorphins (I think) and gets me thru and sometimes aborts the worst hits......I am sure many will answer with positives on meds. Wish I was one of them.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2003, 11:56am by Jarvis » IP Logged
ave

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 2:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

There is no "best" med for clusters yet. You can't have it on a plate.

So shake a leg (or a mouse button) and research the info available on this site and the OUCH-website.  

Should see you right.
IP Logged
bRathbone
New Board Newbie

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11th, 2003, 9:03pm »

Different meds work for different people, so there is no one best medicine. In fact sometimes what works for one cluster doesn't work in the next cluster for the same patient. It all comes down to experimentation.

Imitrex works great for me, stops even the worst headaches in 5-10 minutes.

As far as preventatives go, I've tried most of them and the only one which ever helped was depakote.

Here's a good website:
http://www.headachedrugs.com/
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 11:06am »

Different meds work for different people, so there is no one best medicine

I just wont to add my medications for breaking out of cycle.But remember that i`m not a doc,just another clusterhead from Norway    

Verapamil Retard 120mgX5-7/daily during cycle      
Oxygene alone at 10ltm for 15 minutes or combined with imitrex-shots does miracles.The shots should start working in 6-9minutes.a few secons after that you are almost painfree      
Prednisolone in high doze for 10 days 80mg      
then over a 3 weeks periode step down like 60-40-30-20-10-5mg /daily      

This is the miraclecure for me,but i`m not a doc.just another clusterhead from Norway  

Svenn    
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
jamie_h
New Board Newbie

Whad up!!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2003, 9:52pm »

Had my first cycle of clusters this year.  I had about 1 month of torture when I did not know what I was dealing with.  After much reading and doctors who were quick to pick up on my symptoms, this is what has worked for me.

Maxalt 10 mg melts have been outstanding for me, they have aborted serious HA's virtually every time that I have used them.  I was using them 2-3 times per day for a period of about a month.  Once I went to the neuro, He started me on verapamil 120mg x 4 per day, increased to 6 per day.  Predisone to break the cycle starting at 60 mg and tapering down.  Did the pred thing twice and the cycle has been broken.  I also have O2 and it also helps as an abortive.

After 3 months, I am seeing only mild HA's and less frequently. In addition to the above listed items, much prayer has been a key!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Cool
IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2003, 6:58am »

Like everyone says, there is no one best medicine for everyone.  
Learn more about one of the best preventives at these websites:

http://home.attbi.com/~rwold350/
http://www.geocities.com/ClusterBusters2002/

But this too is not for everyone. Read and research carefully.
I've been pain free for a full year since my last treatment. Mid-cycle, two small doses give me two months pain-free before the beast returns. And when he does, I immeditely send him back to exile. Attacks fade the same day from Kip 8's  to shadows, and the shadows disappear in a week. For some, it takes a little more effort. Other have complete and immediate relief with one dose.

And evidence is growing the stuff can work as an abortive as well...

-tommyD
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13th, 2003, 1:34pm »

NDC,  

A number of us, myself included, have had success with mushroom therapy.  I would definitely recommend it, and encourage you to read through as much information on the topic as possible before giving it a go if you decided to do so.  Prescription meds have only seemed to exacerbate my condition and lengthen my cycles.  Please feel free to ask us any questions you might have.

Peace,

-R
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss