Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 1:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Glaxo and imitrex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Glaxo and imitrex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Glaxo and imitrex  (Read 570 times)
SeanM
New Board Newbie

Email

Glaxo and imitrex
« on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anybody had any luck trying to talk to Glaxo about reducing the dose of the shots?

I'd love to hear of anybodys experience in talking to them.

Sincerely,

SeanM
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: Glaxo and imitrex
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 3:46pm »

Why would you want to reduce the amount in there?  The way it is now you can get 2 shots out of 1.  This is a way we can get around the insurance companys and get more for our money.  OUCH has been in contact with GSK.  Bob P. might be the person to ask if you really want details about conversations.  Or at least I think he is the one that had the conversations.  If he didn't he can tell you who did and what the result of the conversation was.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
SeanM
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 5:57pm »

Karla,

No, the idea was not to reduce the total amount one could get covered by insurance companies...rather it was to fit the approprite dose to a syringe so that one wouldnt have to go through the task of altering the syringes to spare the uneeded amount for later use.

In other words, to get 3  2mg syringes instead of 1 6mg syringe.

Thanks though. I'll ask BobP

SeanM
IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 7:00pm »

Hi Sean,
I have been lucky enough to get both the STATdose autoinjector and single use 6mg vials. I am able to take a standard U-100 syringe and draw either 2 or 3 mg instead of 6 from the single vials. That way I can us it several times a day and still not exceed the recommended dosage of 12 mg in 24 hours.  I still carry a loaded Statdose pen with me every where.....just in case.
PFDAN,s
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
ComputerGeek

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 7:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Mark,

how did you get imitrex in vials?  I asked my pharmacist and he said that they aren't availble.  I've had to push and prod in the past to get what I needed  from the pharmacy and will do so again if I have to.

Pat
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 8:08am »

even if the dose per shot was reduced I very much doubt it would have much impact on price by more than a few %. This is aparent when looking at costing of other drugs which are available in different dose sizes (like imigran tabs over here which are nearly the same price whatever size you are prescribed) most of the cost is to recover the huge research and development outlay (and profits!). The most expensive part of the imigran/imitrex injection is probably the elaborate (but very neccesary for user friendliness) packaging.

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 9:05am »

Yep.  I talked to Glaxo about producing a 2 or 3 mg injection for us clusterheads.  They just said they had no plans to change the dosing and sent me this stuff:

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/medications/imitrex1.htm
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
ozzman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

We who are not as others -- Chaos A.D. --Sepultura

OzzyVal
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 3:33pm »

I thought everyone would find this interesting, basically an article about Glaxo and them shipping drugs to Canada:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/business/5004005.htm

Ozzy
IP Logged

"Always remember rule ONE" --Lu-Tze
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 23rd, 2003, 5:37pm »

Hey Pat.....
Poke him a litttle harder....

HOW SUPPLIED: IMITREX Injection 6 mg (12 mg/mL) containing sumatriptan (base) as the
succinate salt is supplied as a clear, colorless to pale yellow, sterile, nonpyrogenic solution as
follows:
(NDC 0173-0479-00) IMITREX STATdose System ® containing 2 prefilled single-dose syringe
cartridges, 1 IMITREX STATdose Pen ® , and instructions for use.
(NDC 0173-0478-00) IMITREX Injection cartridge pack containing 2 prefilled syringe
cartridges for refill of IMITREX STATdose System only.
(NDC 0173-0449-01) Unit-of-use syringe (0.5 mL in 1 mL) in cartons of 2 syringes. Not for use
with IMITREX STATdose System.
(NDC 0173-0449-02) 6-mg Single-dose vials (0.5 mL in 2 mL) in cartons of 5 vials.

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_imitrex_injection.pdf

The last one is the one I was refering to. I like the idea of the pre-filled syringes but I can do that on my own and be ready for the next battle. I attached the link from Glaxo that contains the above information and just about everything else about Imitrex. Print it and take it to you Pharmacist, the stock numbers are included and should make ordering it easy. Good luck and keep at it!
PFDAN's
Mark
IP Logged

Click The Flag
ComputerGeek

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 7:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info! I've got my prod stick out and am looking forward to using it.

Pat
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss