Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Prednisone »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Prednisone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Prednisone  (Read 387 times)
firebrix
New Board Hall of Famer
New_Zealand 

I must never weaken.

Prednisone
« on: Feb 16th, 2003, 2:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Prednisone is the only med that is able to stop Mopar's chronic headaches. When we asked his doc how and why it is effective, he couldn't explain it to us. He said it was a blanket that was thrown at the condition and that the way it works is not entirely understood.
Is there anyone who understands the mechanisms by which prednisone stops headaches?  
Would you please explain this to us?
I am a little surprised that docs and researchers have not looked for more answers where prednisone is concerned, or maybe there are just not enough chronics to make research economic?
I am quite aware of the dangers of this drug, but wonder what else a chronic CHer is to do when all other meds fail and he is getting hit every two hours?
We'd appreciate your help on this thought.
firebrix
IP Logged

"All that it takes for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke
Ueli

Email

Re: Prednisone
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2003, 10:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Fibrex,
How the Prednisone is working is indeed a mystery. As it does, among other things, combat inflammations, it was thought for some time that clusters were caused by an inflammation around the cranial vessels, something that is no longer in the main stream.
For clusters, the Prednisone dose is often on the low side (especially the Medrol dose pack), and therefore seldom does abort a cycle. The heavy side effects of long time Prednisone use are all too well known,  Angry.  Because of this, the Italiens invented the Prednisone shock therapy, a huge dose for only 2 days in the hospital. It has a better chance to abort a cycle and does not have the drawbacks of long time use.
Another option Mopar might look into is a DHE infusion (dihydro ergotamine); it works often to break a cycle, but also needs 3 days in hospital.

PFNADs
Ueli

(I'm sorry we beat you already twice  Wink)
IP Logged
tanner
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Adopt a POW/MIA I have

sc_clusterhead1  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2003, 11:15pm »

firebrix, i am so sorry to hear that mopar is getting hit this bad! please tell him someone on the other side of the ball is right there with him.

as to the prednisone i only know that it worked some for me using the burst method during my first chronic go round but the docs were not too keen on my continuing use it. i have sometimes had some relief from damn near overdosing on nsaids but i sure wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

let me know if you find an answer as to the dynamics of steroids and ch. and in the meantime, all the best to you and yours!!!

ps. i'm asking my mom-in-law to ad mopar to her prayer list. she's connected!!!  
       tim
IP Logged

I AM THE MASTER OF MY MIND, MY BODY, AND MY EMOTIONS...
it's just my head that sucks...http://www.centerforlit.com/

The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17th, 2003, 3:13pm »

Hi Fire&Mopar

Long time no see

Had a LONG talk with my neuro the other week about Pred and the tappering down.
He still say start with 80mg shocktreatment/daily for 10 days and then tappering down like i told several times here before

Dont know the english words to explain why or how the Preds work,but i dont think that is something we should worry about as long as it work for us.

As long as it work we all should be happy

The very best from Svenn

IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Major_Headcase
New Board Veteran

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18th, 2003, 5:19pm »

Question: I'm new to Prednisone, been getting by on Verapamil alone until this cycle, and I'm wondering about exactly how you take Prednisone. My doc has me taking 60mg/day, six 10mg pills all at once. I'd been taking them in the early evening, an hour or so before the banshee knocks on my door. But after a week I'm feeling pretty spaced out, fogged in, cotton-ball brained, and my sleep pattern is trashed. Today my doc said to take them all at once in the AM to prevent insomnia.  

So, what's your routine with the Prednisone? When and in what manner do you take it? I'm still on 480 units of Verapamil/day too. Thanks! -John   ???
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss