Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 8:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Could I be having a reaction to verapamil?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Could I be having a reaction to verapamil??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Could I be having a reaction to verapamil??  (Read 299 times)
amber
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Could I be having a reaction to verapamil??
« on: Feb 20th, 2003, 7:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey y'all,

Since I started Verapamil on tuesday, my cluster has been a none stop ride of yay.  I mean a 24 hour headache.  I'm not sure if I'm "coming down" from imitrex, although those of you on the boards who have done your research have found that there is no link to imitrex and rebound.  
Has anyone had a headache from verapamil??
IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

Re: Could I be having a reaction to verapamil??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2003, 11:01pm »

Amber
Sorry to hear about your bad times  Embarassed  
Hopin' you get some relief SOON!  
I started using Verapamil for the first time 7 weeks ago. The first 4 weeks was 240mg then my Dr upped it to 480mg because I was still getting rocked pretty good. I'm not sure if it's because I'm nearing the end of this cycle or because of the higher dosage of Verapamil but things are getting better. I'm still getting the wake up calls several times a week but it's way more tolerable than it was.  
Don't know what your dosage is but maybe you need to raise it. Also, it can take up to week get into your system so maybe you haven't been on it long enough for it to be effective.
Have you tried oxygen as an alternative to Imitrex?  
3 months ago I was using 2 to 4 injections a day and I was becoming concerned about the amount I was using. After many recomendations from this web site I asked if my Dr if I could try o2 and he agreed.  
It has made a HUGE difference in my life. If I feel the beast coming I hit the o2 for about 5 mins. (and I know it's not the case for everyone, what is?) but so far it has worked everytime! It's cheaper, cleaner and no side effects.  
PFDAN''s to you!
Jim

IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Lori
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27th, 2003, 10:02pm »

I just came across your post - thought I'd see how you are doing now on the verapamil. I also experienced additional headaches when starting verapamil..after about 4 days I think the headaches subsided and even the clusters went away, for a short time. Then my doc had me increase my verapamil dose and I had the constant headaches again for a few more days. I really believe it was the verapamil causing these ha's but my neuro insists it wasn't the verapamil. Funny though how these additional ha's happened when I started the verapamil and again when increasing the dose. I will say that I did stay on it though because I've heard how it has helped so many, so I wasn't willing to give up that easily. It did eventually help with additional meds(Topomax). I will tell you though what seemed to get rid of my verapamil induced headaches immediately..getting in the shower and running hot water over my head for about 10 minutes. (Don't burn yourself) Just hot enough. This hot shower would also sometimes help a CH headache, not always though. Hot shower did always get rid of the verapamil HA though. So try that if you are still experiencing the headaches from verapamil. Worth a shot! I sure hope you are getting relief now.  
IP Logged

Blessings and PFDAN,
Lori

Psalm 23:4 ~ Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 3rd, 2003, 4:26am »

According to the "fact" sheet I received with my verapamil prescription, one of the possible side effects is headaches--go figure.  I can tell the difference between what I consider a "normal" headache and a "shadow" or an attack.  There is a definate difference in the pain location and type of pain.  I would have to say that verapamil has not created any headaches for me.  The side effects I am having (started taking it last wednesday) are anxiety, occasional increase in pulse (normally doesn't last long) and dizzyness (VERY BOTHERSOME).  The anxiety feelings I would have to describe as...when you drink WAY too much coffee in a day and have not eaten anything at all.  Another rather annoying effect that I cannot seem to do anything about except for ride it out.  I am certain everyone will react to these meds differently, but that is what I see and this is the third time I have been on verapamil.  If the dizzyness will go away, and I find a beast killer, I'll be ecstatic.

Christopher
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
amber
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:25am »

well thanks for the responses...

the headache was a full blown cluster type headache that just didn't quit..for like days. It was awful.  The doc took me off the verap. and I'm on sansert now although I'm not sure I can stay on that either because I have a bladder disorder and the pill is affecting that *yar*....

thanks for your info!
amber
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss