Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 8:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Insurance Botox denial? Need studies to appeal! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Insurance Botox denial? Need studies to appeal!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Insurance Botox denial? Need studies to appeal!  (Read 411 times)
dtruett
New Board Newbie

Maybe this is the last one!

Email

Insurance Botox denial? Need studies to appeal!
« on: Mar 1st, 2003, 1:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After months of serious headaches and a truckload of medication, I got a Botox treatment on Nov. 11. Starting a few days after I have been pain-free, a miracle. Since then my insurance company, Aetna, issued a bulletin denying Botox's use for ch or any headache, saying there weren't enough controlled studies, although it was a promising treatment. It stated that effective prophlyaxis could not be established. On appeal, they did not even consider me as an individual or how it was proven effective for me, just referred to their policy. Now I am appealing to the state of California. I was only able to find one study of Botox with ch and that was only ten patients. If anyone knows of more data to help me buttress my case. Botox injections are about $1000 per session and in some people (don't know about me yet) last only 3-4 months. I can't afford this. Any suggestions for less expensive treatment? Thanks.
Don Truett
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

Re: Insurance Botox denial? Need studies to appeal
« Reply #1 on: Mar 3rd, 2003, 1:32am »

If you find out anything,please let me know...my doc is having trouble with companion approving them for me too...he is gonna use my diagnosis of TMJ to see if they will consent to that one ...doubt it though.. good luck. smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
dtruett
New Board Newbie

Maybe this is the last one!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 3rd, 2003, 8:17pm »

NancyC,
Here's something to look at-a site I found with a Googol search. This site has 3 links to reimbursement strategies and sample letters the doctor can write:
http://www.imigraine.net/newrx/botox.shtml
The second one is the hotline link and has an 800 number. My interpretation is that the doctor's staff calls the number and the manufacturer (?) or whoever is at the other end of the phone contacts the insurance company and keeps the staff informed of the results:
http://www.imigraine.net/newrx/hotline.shtml
Please let me know if you try this and what you find out.
Don Truett
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 4th, 2003, 12:41am »

thanks bro...i really appreciate this info...will keep you posted..smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss