Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Lidocaine »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Lidocaine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lidocaine  (Read 506 times)
EBRisky

Email

Lidocaine
« on: Sep 20th, 2003, 4:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have been using Lidocaine (4%) by using a dropper to get it in my nose. Wasn't doing much until tonight when I tried something different. I turned my  head completely upside down and then put the liquid in my nose. No more running down the back of my throat. It worked pretty well this way. Thought it might help someone else. It seems obvious to me now that this is the way to get it to the point where I need it just abovemy right eye.
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

Re: Lidocaine
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20th, 2003, 11:40am »

I never could stand on my head and squirt crap my nose during a cluster headache. No fucking way, so Lidocaine never worked for me. I am glad it's doing you good.

Lee
IP Logged
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Nothing is accomplished without passion

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 21st, 2003, 12:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What's Lidocaine? who else here uses it?
..Mark..
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21st, 2003, 1:24pm »

Lidocaine is a member of the cocaine family.
Young cousin of novocaine used bu dentists.
The way lidocaine is used, it is usually mild. It makes tissue and muceous layers more or less insensitive and thorughly chills them.

Some people here have used lidocaine sprays up their noses. You can use drops too, I see now.

Also, hanging with your head downwards is the right position to dose yourself with salt water or nose drops, to get rid of the clogging of the common cold.

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
rumplestiltskin

Email

nwod edispu
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 3:54am »

I got a vial in Georgia's dowry. When the "pain is all" I'd upside down the drops. Never killed a CH alone...butt it was just one of a list of shit that I threw at it....like the apple cider vinegar rub...

When the light returned...I had a numb nose.

love  
den
IP Logged
Damon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25th, 2003, 1:25am »

I tried lidocaine for the first time last night, I gave it 20min and then hit the O2, for me it burned at 1st and didn't make a dent in the CH.

MPFDAN
 Damon
IP Logged
r_headache
New Board Junior
Germany 

Air Force Rocks!!

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26th, 2003, 10:30am »

Tried it...didn't work.  As a matter of fact, it made the next weeks CH even worse.  It went into the garbage after my first attempt.  Hope it works for you.
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 6:41pm »

Try 5% lidocaine ointment if the drops don't stay in the right place.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
ClstrHeadSupport
New Board Junior
USA 

Supporter of my Cluster Head, Stephen Pope.

PopeFamily_430  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 23rd, 2003, 3:00pm »

After seeing that Lidocaine worked for a high percentage of Cluster Headache sufferers (on some other website I found a while back) I requested it for my fiancee the next time we were in the emergency room.  He tried it but it didn't seem to do anything for him.  I'm going to have him try putting his head upside down to see if that works at all.  He tried it just laying on his back before and all he did was get a numb throat, not exactly the place he was looking to numb.
IP Logged

Sara Pope
ZAIRA
New Board Hall of Famer
Italy 

Brave to Stand !!!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23rd, 2003, 3:36pm »

As written above... Lidocaine is a local anesteic used by dentists, generally (in Italy) the neurologists don't prescribe it. Undecided

I use Lidocaine (10%), when you have 6-7-8-9 attacks a day it is a good alternative and for me it works Wink. Fortunately my neuro (I love him Grin) prescribes it to me. It has to be used making nasal plug or spraying it directly in the nostril which hurts you.... Undecided

Regards..... Zaira Grin

IP Logged

Love yourself, Love others, Love often, Forever!
jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 11:26pm »

I have used it with success in the past but it's a real hassle to dispense and you have to get it in just the right spot to do any good.  I lie with my head hanging off the edge of the couch or bed and put a few drops in, feels really weird.  The idea is to let the drops hit inside your head kind of behind where your eye would be.  It's occasionally used in the same way for migraine.

-snip-

"Kittrelle et al (1985)A showed that the intranasal instillation of 1 ml 4 percent topical lidocaine was effective in terminating attacks in four of five patients.  The patients were instructed to lie supine, with their heads extended backward 45 degrees and rotated 30 to 40 degrees toward the side of the headache.   One ml lidocaine was slowly dropped into the nostril ipsilateral to the pain, and the patient's position was maintained for several minutes.  If nasal congestion mad it impossible to deliver the anesthetic solution to it target, the patient was initially treated with a few drops of intranasal 0.5 percent phenylephrine.  These investigators believed that the lidocaine reached the sphenopalatine fossa and anesthetized the sphenopalatine ganglion.  That is certainly possible but, and addition, local blockade of terminals of the trigeminal and glossopharyngeal nerves intranansally could also decrease afferent activity to the spinal trigeminal nucleus, stopping the pain because of convergence of the sensory elements of cranial nerves V, VII, IX, and X.  The beneficial effect of topical lidocaine surely does not implicate the sphenopalatine ganglion in the mechanism of cluster headache.  I find lidocaine to be an extremely useful therapeutic adjunct.  The 1 ml dose may need to be repeated once or twice.  For may patients, the application of lidocaine via the continuous pumping of a plastic nasal spray bottle is superior.  In my experience, lidocaine is useful for about 60 percent of patients."
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2003, 11:30pm by jflynn » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss