Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 10:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Neurontin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Neurontin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Neurontin  (Read 431 times)
JadensMom062003
New Board Newbie

Phil 4:13

Email

Neurontin
« on: Sep 20th, 2003, 2:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, My dr prescribed Neurontin for me on Wednesday, Its now Saturday and hasnt even begun to work. If anything My pains are now worse than ever.
I woke up at 5 this morning with a sharp pain in the back of my head, the first time its ever been there, its usually only on the right side of my head.
It felt like my head was splitting open. I took and imitrex because i was pretty much in tears from the pain, (worse pain ive ever had) it started to work then all of a sudden the pain went fromthe back of my head down my shoulders and neck. Shoulders and neck tightened up really back and couldnt move really easily. I watied till 9 am to take the Neurontin again. I have been feeling faint, and dizzy all day, not to mention extremely weak. Nauseas and my vision has become pretty blurredl. I calld the pharmacy  around 1 pm and they told me to take and exedrine migraine and to stop taking the Neurontin. I took the Exedrine Migraine and my head in tons of pain. This mornign I dried a Lavender bath with a hot washcloth on my neck and another one on my head. Its really awful, and at times my head has pains that feel like they are burning. Everytime i start to eat my jaws hurt really bad and i cant chew anything. Its been a miserable day and plus on top of all of it I have a 3 month old baby boy. He is ggreat today though, no crying and just playing and watching tv. Its like heknows to be good because I dont feel good.  
Anyone have any suggestions~

Stephanie
IP Logged

Wife to Shaun
Mom to Jaden 6/20/03
EBRisky

Email

Re: Neurontin
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20th, 2003, 3:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain. It must be very difficult trying to take care of a baby. I have a two-year-old, and fortunately I have a very understanding and helpful spouse. I really feel for those of you with regular jobs. I am fortunate to be self-employed and can work when I feel well. It must be impossible to commute and work a regular job with CHs. I hope your baby sleeps at night so you can deal with the CHs. I find I have to sleep when my two-year-old does. This works pretty well because my naps are short. It must not give the CHs time to come. Lidocaine has been working for me. It numbs my whole head and sometimes I get complete relief. Maybe this could work for you. Good luck, and I will pray for you.

EBRisky.
IP Logged
JadensMom062003
New Board Newbie

Phil 4:13

Email

EBRisky
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20th, 2003, 4:19pm »

Hi!
Luckily I am a stay at home mom.
My husband works 3 days one week and 4 days the next week so he is off a good bit.
My parents dont live to far away. about 30 minutes, so this morning my mom came up to help take care of little Jaden while I tried to get to feeling better!
I do feel for those with jobs because it would be awful!

Stephanie Embarassed
IP Logged

Wife to Shaun
Mom to Jaden 6/20/03
gwen
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21st, 2003, 1:43pm »

I was soo sorry for you ,  Crywhen I read your message on the board, my heart went out to you. You haven't said how long you have had these's headaches for. Have you asked the doctor for prednisolone for you to have a break which should give you some pain free days while the doctor finds some other form of meds for you. All the best, wishing you pain free days soon.
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 8:10pm »

Hi Stephanie... my husband Dave is on Neurontin... How many days were you on it... I remember last cycle he almost gave up... He kept on taking it.  It shortened the cycles for him and the duration of the hits... He has had great luck with it...  Cootie is also on it for some nerve damage to her neck and back( I think that is the problem) you can get her email addy somewhere here.Or PM her.  she will tell you about her side effects... if any... sorry you are hurting so badly... Have you tried Verapamil or Topamax... and does Imatrex work for you or Zomig?...  I know we sound like pharmacists and drug companies... No one should have to endure this pain... again sorry and take care , Love ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
AlanG
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

alangeisdorf  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 22nd, 2003, 9:52pm »

Hi,   My name is Alan and I have just joined the group. I wish that you were not in pain and that the neurontin takes away the pain.   My Doctor put me on Neurontin and I took it for about 6 months, however it didnt do me any good and I was up to 12 300mg tabs a day and still going into pain.  So far Oxygen is the only thing that has been able to help me. I turn it up to number 8 on the valve so I can feel the oxygen wind on my nose and breath deeply.
IP Logged
mrs_mac
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Sep 23rd, 2003, 2:05pm »

hi stephanie ,
i feel like i've found someone that knows how i feel!! all that you explained is exactly the type of pains i get, its awful isnt it , i'm new to this site so dont know anyone yet, my Dr gave me neurotonin too and i,m sorry to say but it doesnt work not in the slightest so i'd say get back down there and demand that you get something else , i'd really like a chat with you so please reply to this
message as i dont quite know how this site works yet lol
mrs _ mac
IP Logged
surfshi
New Board Junior

ONWARD THROUGH THE FOG!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 30th, 2003, 2:48am »

GOOD LUK WITH THAT stuf...Surf
IP Logged
MikeS
New Board Newbie

« Reply #8 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 3:19am »

I have been chronic for about 11 years.  Before my current treatment Neurontin was about hte only thing that worked consistantly. It took me about 6 weeks slowing increasing the dosage before it helped.  It took me from about 5 attacks a day to 2 a day and occasionly only 1.  I did have to increase my dosage several times for the next 3 years to maintain it's preventative help. My Neuro always tried new meds for 3-4 months up to the max dosage before giving up a med. (Unless serious side effects ocurred.)  My current treatment took several months to be effective and after 3 years we have fine tuned it enough to allow me to go back to work 35-40 hrs a week.  Good Luck. Don't give up!
      Mike L
IP Logged

manicmechanic
UnsolvedEquation

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 12:49pm »

Neurotin only made me worse. HA's became more frequent and more painful. I had to quit !
IP Logged
jdownes
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 12:59pm »

I have been on Neurontin off and on for 2.5 years with success.  Prior to that (15 years) I could only try to abort the pain.  For me Neurontin reduces the level of pain for an individual headache and shorten the cycle, but do not abort a particular headache(that is what O2 and Imitrex do for me).  

Historically I would get clusters 2-3 times a year, cycles ranging from 2 to 4 months.  I have had only one bad period of clusters since July of 2001, which is when I first started the Neurontin.  The first sign of any cluster shadows, and I start ramping up the Neurontin.  This has shut the cluster shadows down, and seemed to abort the cycle (based on history should have started). After a week of no cluster shadows I rapidly ramp back down.   While my doctor has recommended that I stay on low dosage while not in cycle, I do not do that, hoping to not affect efficacy.

I did get to the maximum dosage of 900mg x 3 per day for the 1 bad cycle I did get, but the cluster cycle only lasted 6 weeks.  And combining with steroids gave me some pain free time during the heavy part.

Hope you find something that works for you.
IP Logged
CMNpain

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 5:59pm »

Only lasted six weeks!!!!!!!!! Come on that is an eternity with CH!!! I think you would all benefit from magic mushroon treatment! Not enough to trip but the prescribed amount. Go to clusterbuster.com

I have been going to the Diamond Headache Center for 7 years and have tried ever drug in every combination. Think outside the box....that is how you will win!! I wish I could tell you how to get them but I haven't figured that out myself!

Chuck
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Oct 10th, 2003, 8:45pm »

any med ya take for clusters is most likely going to be trial and error.............it take time......the medicine is not the boss - YOU are.  Pay attention...........be patient...........don't throw things out the window ahead of time Cool  

Patient and Doc= heavy discussion and troubleshooting........... Smiley
IP Logged
sc444
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 8:05pm »

HI, I take neurontin but with other meds. I've  had limited luck with just Neurontin. What type dose are you on? It can go pretty high, I'm on 1200 mg's now. No bad side affects.
Steve C
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss