Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 5:37pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « depakote? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   depakote?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: depakote?  (Read 502 times)
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

depakote?
« on: Oct 8th, 2003, 10:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Group,
Anyone here use Depakote with any success?
Thanks,
Vi
IP Logged
UnsolvedEquation

Email

Re: depakote?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 8th, 2003, 10:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Maybe others...but not me. I got up to 1750 mg. Caused tremors (shakey hands) and didn't stop any headaches. Hope you have better luck !
~ Unsolved ~
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 8th, 2003, 1:24pm »

I still have the unused prescription.
I personally hate these kind of drugs.
I'd rather have the headaches.
I told the neurologist I wouldn't take it and he offered no alternatives.

Stalemate.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Artie
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 8th, 2003, 6:31pm »

my husband uses depakote (750 mg twice a day) in combination with verapamil.  It seems to have helped. Best of luck to you.
IP Logged
JECableGuy

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 4:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have used Depakote for over a year (1000mg/day) now.  It seemed to work at first during a cluster, but it doesn't seem to prevent the headaches anymore.  The side effects are real--nausea, loss of appetite, and ringing in the ears.  I think its because of the dosage I am taking now, but I am ready to go to my neurologist for another solution, because the side effects are pretty gross. Tongue
IP Logged
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Episodic CH since 11 yrs old, now 39.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 4:26pm »

Three years ago i tried Depakote, 250 mg twice a day, total 500 mg daily.  Didn't help at all, just got me sick to my stomach and sleepy.  Still have majority of the expired bottle.  But, what doesn't work for some, may work for others.  Don't drink alcohol with this (shouldn't anyway with CH's as alcohol is a known trigger) and also be careful driving as this causes drowsiness.  
Good luck.
Gregg in Las Vegas
IP Logged

Wishing all a Pain Free 2008!
Yos
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 5:02pm »

I seemed to have a lot of success in the past with this.  It seemed to have prevented my last 2 or 3 cycles with 250mg twice a day.  As soon as I'd feel the first onset of a cycle I'd start taking it, and it generally would be gone within a week.  I might get a couple heavy hitters, but that was about it.  I had been attributing that to the Depakote since that was not normal for me for the previous several years - usually it was 6 weeks of hell.  Then after 6 or 8 weeks, I'd quit taking it.

However, this time it didn't seem to do a thing, even after 2 weeks.  So doc up'd the dose to 500mg twice a day and that cut the attacks from 8 to 10 a day to 2 or 3 a day, and now after about 10 days of that I think my cycle may be trailing off.  Of course it's been about 5 weeks since it started so it's hard to say if Depakote had anything to do with it.

Interesting thing is this cycle came on out of the blue with no warning.  Usually I know it's coming at least 2 weeks ahead of time with shadows, twinges, etc.  I wonder if this might be why the Depakote didn't work for me this time.  I'll probably try it another cycle just to make sure.

Unlike others, I have experienced no side effects from either 500 or 1000mg per day.  I seem to be pretty lucky when it comes to side effects though.  I do seem a little more tired than usual, but I can pretty much always sleep anytime anyway! (accept of course during a CH).
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2003, 5:06pm by Yos » IP Logged
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 7:40pm »

Tried Depakote (as a chaser to verapamil) and suddenly I couldn't remember where I lived or what my dog's name was. Frankly, the ramifications on my memory (short term) were so astounding that I ceased using it. Again, this was just my experience but upon cessation my memory did return to its normal, somewhat diminished, state.

nots
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 7:09pm »

I am starting Depakote today...250mgx2/day in combo with verap 240mgx2/day.  I asked her to try lithium, she said ok...but only if this doesn't work.  I'm not going to tolerate all those side effects...this could be short-lived.  I'll keep you all posted.

She stressed to me that I should take it with food if there is any nausea encountered...
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 4:49pm »

Hey violet....sorry to say that I did NOT have good results with this medication.  I too, like NotSeinfeld, had some short term memory problems and I gained a great deal of weight as well.

But as someone above said - what works for some doesn't work for everyone.  Let us know how you're doing.

The best of luck to you....

Mia
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss