Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 2:55am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Questions - Need cheap meds and advice to sleep »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Questions - Need cheap meds and advice to sleep
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Questions - Need cheap meds and advice to sleep  (Read 1115 times)
Lili-Laura
New Board Newbie
South_Africa 

Lover of Dogs & Cats

Questions - Need cheap meds and advice to sleep
« on: Oct 12th, 2003, 6:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All
I've discovered the site last year when I was in a phase.  Since December 2002 I was ch free until now.  Meds are just so expensive in South Africa and my medical aid is not good!  So I would really appreciate good cheap advice please.   In terms of meds, I do take quite a bit: I take ativan 1mg under the tongue at onset to relax and help me cope better. Ativan is a very mild calming agent and dentists sometimes give it to nervous patients too. Then I take indocid, which is an anti-inflammatory - what it does I don't know, but it works.  It doesn't prevent the attach, but makes it not be too painful (from 10 without to I'd say 8 with).  I take triptans in the form of maxalt wafers under the tongue - those most times abort the attack. Also oxygen tons, I overdose on O2 if its possible - my prescription is 6l for 15 minutes, but I vary it on what I think I need - a huge burst of 10l sometimes, or a steady 5 if the devil doesn't want to f**k off !  And copious amounts of over the counter painkillers that have a drowsing affect, which are unhealthy, I know.    Last year I went onto predisone (cortisone) and don't want to again, as it made my weight balloon!

What I also want to know are about the horrendously terrifying bad dreams?  Does anybody else get these when in a phase?  I mean so real-live scary rubbish! Nigh terrors not mares actually! That is the times I actually manage to sleep.  Insomnia is the other most pronounced symptom - any advice here?   I would much rather prefer natural/hololistic approach which we all know is silly unhelpful for this devil!   So - back to insomnia - over the counter sleeping tabs - I can't afford the ones on script!  

Just to mention - smoking has no effect whatsoever - I am one of those constant quiters  (hopefully now permanent), and have smoked and have not smoked during the years when in cycle - I stopped smoking 3 months ago now, so was totally nicotene free when this cycle started.  Last year I smoked like a chimney when i was in cycle. - Just thought you'd want to know.

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2003, 6:23am by Lili-Laura » IP Logged

Lili-Laura
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

Re: Questions - Need cheap meds and advice to slee
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 8:01am »

Laura,
   I have only heard of the nightmares from one other person, they were at the end of a "cycle" when they only had shadows and they were horrible, but they ended in time. If you need help with sleeping try sleeping propped up high, a recliner is best but a lot of pillows will work, this seems to keep the "wake up calls" to a minimum for some.

I have found a natural abortive that I now use as my primary abortive, I have not needed any Imitrex this cycle. PM or email me for more information.

Instead of the over the counters meds try a cup of black coffee after taking your abortive, for me it will will even help Imitrex work better. I also smoke a few after too as they seem to help. As for quitting most say it has no effect unless you quit during a cycle, then your cycle can last a long time.

I hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else.

Opus/Paul

and also

IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 8:26am »

Laura -  

Some folks find that Dramamine (dimenhydrinate), an over-the-counter motion-sickness medication, can help them sleep because it prevents the REM sleep phase, which is when the Beast likes to wake you up. REM sleep is also when you dream, and this may help here also.

However, people need REM sleep eventually, and there are consequences to trying to avoid it long term.

-tommyD

IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 9:00am »

You may have experieced a quick return of the attack when you stop the oxygen; this has been a not uncommon response.

Are you taking a med for prevention? If you can find one that works for you it will reduce you overall costs for meds.  

Suggest you check on your price for olanzapine. As an abortive, several of us have had excellent results in 20 minutes with a 5mg dose. In the U.S., it's less expensvie than the triptans.  

The pain killers (OTC) may be inexpensive but are neither effective nor good for the liver in high doses over a long time.

Good to get the list of effective meds (button on left), check your prices, and then negotiate with you doc to try them--lest to most expensive--to find what works for you.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 3:33pm »

Laura,
Welcome to the board.
I don't know about South Africa's laws or anything like that but you might want to research THIS alternative:

http://www.clusterbusters.com

Good luck,
Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 3:42pm »

Laura, Verapamil (or possibly called Calan) is not very expensive and is a preventavie that has good results (though not for evr4erybody of course).. You need some days to let it start up.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Lili-Laura
New Board Newbie
South_Africa 

Lover of Dogs & Cats

« Reply #6 on: Oct 13th, 2003, 12:15am »

Good monring everybody

Thank you for all the replies.    

Bob - I use oxygen and sometimes the maxalt (triptan) at onset.  The maxalt is the very expensive one, so I try go without for as long as possible, which is bad as once the attack is past the point of no return, well then I need to ride it out,  I will find out the price of the Olanzapine today, and will see doctor tomorrow morning to see if he will give me a script.

Mast - SA laws on alternative - it is illegal.

Ave - I will at the same time I research the olanzapine, also find out about the verapamil.  Can you however tell me what the dosage should be?

L
IP Logged

Lili-Laura
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13th, 2003, 8:51am »

Dosage varies from person to person.  The common range is 120mg-960mg.  As previously mentioned, it does take days for it to build up in your system.  Start small and move up until hopefully you are PF.  You might have a tough time finding docs to prescribe the higher doses of verapamil.  It also depends on how verapamil affects your BP.  I'm currently at 480mg with very little BP drop.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
HypnoticFreddy

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16th, 2003, 7:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You have mentioned drugs like Ativan, which is a benzodiazepine, like Valium, Xanax, Klonopin and about 20 other marketed drugs.  These may indeed be helpful for short-term sleep management.

I have recently been put on a drug called Seroqeul. It is an anti-pyschotic, also an anti-depressant, and a mood stablizer. It may also make your toes longer, turn your tounge blue, and cause bad breath. OK, those last side-effects are not mentioned in the drugs description, but I thought I'd throw out a funny. Seems like a lot of pyschotropic medicine is prescribed for multiple syndromes.

Anyways, I took 50 mg for the first time the other night, and within 30 min, KABAM, I was unconscious. I have taken massive doses of many benzos, including the illegal Rophynol (Roofies), and I have NEVER felt anything like this. You may want to ask your doctor about this. Powerful!

-HypnoticFreddy
IP Logged
clavers
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16th, 2003, 8:15am »

Laura, I am unusual in that I use DHE injections instead of imitrex.  At night if I have a CH and it seems as if that will go on all night I give myself an injection in the muscle of the thigh, straight down into the hardest part of the muscle.  I use one cc.  It sometimes hurts like hell but it is not as bad as a CH.  After that I sleep all night undisturbed.  The DHE seems expensive but it comes in packages of 10, so it is cheaper than imitrex, and the effect lasts much longer.
IP Logged
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

a.k.a. Max Payne, YOUCH this hurts...

« Reply #10 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 5:46pm »

verapamil and oxygen should be the cheapest. A menthol nasal inhalor may work as a relief too, might give that a try.  

about the verapamil: start off building little by little from 3x40 to 3x120, that is when it should start taking effect, but may need even a higher dose. It takes a couple of days to kick into your system so be patient if it doesn't work right the next day.

PFD&N Laura good luck to you!
IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
thomas

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 4:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You could try melatonin, It helps some and not others.  It's cheap and worth a try.  It can help a lot as far as sleep goes. sleep
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #12 on: Nov 4th, 2003, 12:39am »

Ditto on the Melatonin.  It may not be available over-the-counter in South Africa.  It's very cheap in the U.S. and it's sold in the section with vitamins and supplements.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss