Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:09pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « $$$ »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   $$$
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: $$$  (Read 336 times)
jmc1106
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

$$$
« on: Oct 14th, 2003, 9:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just trying to prepare myself for what may be coming, financially...can anyone tell me the cost of Imitrex injections? Also, how does a person get set up for oxygen therapy? Do you have to buy an oxygen tank? Do you rent them? My husband is episodic, so I don't know how practical this is. Thanks so much for your help.

Jan
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: $$$
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 9:15am »

Last time I looked Trex was about $75 per injection in the US.
The Dr. should prescribe O2.  A medical supply company will then deliver the bottles and make weekly visits to trade empties for full tanks.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
jmc1106
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 9:20am »

Ouch! We don't have prescription drug coverage. Can anyone tell me what the O2 is likely to cost, and how long a bottle might last with 1-2 clusters a night?

Jan
IP Logged
maggie_may
New Board Veteran
USA 

maggie_may_12   ladydeth12
Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 11:10am »

I live in New Jersey and fill my trex injections at Walgreens.  I just picked up some.  The full price was close to $800 for 6 boxes or 12 shots (making it about $66 each).  My insurance covered it though - my copay was only $15.  Then again, I can only fill this script once every 6 months....

maggie
IP Logged

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Mahatma Gandhi

The human spirit is stronger than anything that happens to it. - C.C. Scott
clavers
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 11:26am »

I pay for the E tanks myself and they are $11.50 each.  The regulator that is needed to work the thing is over  
$100, but I don't remember how much.  It is good forever.  You might also want a cart to roll the tank around.   The whole outfit isn't too expensive.
A tank last me anywhere from three days to two weeks depending on how much I need it.  It largely depends on the barameter and how many weather fronts are coming in.  Two headaches a night should see you through five or six days.
IP Logged
jmc1106
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 1:24pm »

Thanks so much! I will ask the doctor if she will consider trying the oxygen--if we can use the regulator indefinitely, it would definitely be worth the investment. Yikes, I think the Imitrex will be a last resort!  

Jan
IP Logged
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 8:14pm »

There are a few ways to reduce the cost of Imitrex. First... there is the "Imitrex Tip" http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/boardleft.html which involves splitting a regular dose in half or in thirds. It seems to work for many people here (half a dose for me).
Second... most doctors get free Imitrex samples and will pass them on to you if you ask. As long as you don't ask for too many too often they should help out.
Third, Glaxo has a $60 savings offer on their website at http://www.migrainehelp.com/?a=105 Sign up and you'll get six $10 off coupons. Check the "I do not take any medicine for migraine" box and they will also send a coupon for free Imitrex tablets.
And fourth, if your income is too low to afford Imitrex altogether, Glaxo has a "Patient Assistance Program" http://bridgestoaccess.gsk.com/ that will give you free Imitrex for a period of time if you qualify.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2003, 8:14pm by FrankF » IP Logged
jmc1106
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 4:16pm »

Thanks for the helpful advice! We were back at the doctor this morning...last night was the worst yet. I was impressed...she took us seriously, and gave us a couple of the Imitrex injections to try. I don't know if I'm up to trying the dose-splitting tip just yet...I think I'll just try and get through loading the thing up and using it correctly.  I printed out the results of the medication survey, and the doctor was great about it. We are going to try the Prednisone and see if it aborts the cycle.  

Special thanks to Frank...I just finished signing up with Glaxo for some coupons.  

BTW, if anyone is keeping track, it looks like $73 is the cost of the STATdose refill, which has TWO 6 mg cartridges. Still expensive, but better than $73 for one dose.
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 4:20pm »

walgreens here wanted $270 for 4 injections.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 6:51pm »

on Oct 15th, 2003, 4:16pm, jmc1106 wrote:
BTW, if anyone is keeping track, it looks like $73 is the cost of the STATdose refill, which has TWO 6 mg cartridges. Still expensive, but better than $73 for one dose.

If he's lucky, he can get 6 treatments from the two refills.  Check out the imitrex tip link on the left.
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss