Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:13am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Regarding Maria's last post »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Regarding Maria's last post
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Regarding Maria's last post  (Read 315 times)
thomas

Email

Regarding Maria's last post
« on: Oct 15th, 2003, 7:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Has anyone tried melatonin in conjunction with a seratonin re-uptake inhibitor?  Just a wild guess that I'm going to try this week.  I tried melatonin last night had a 5 on the Kip scale at about 1:30am.  Took a zomig- went back to sleep in 20mins, slept like a baby.
IP Logged
maria9
New Board Veteran

Re: Regarding Maria's last post
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 3:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thomas,

I have another suggestion for you to try to help raise serotonin levels.  Some research has shown that light therapy in addition to SSRIs is more effective in combination than either single treatment on it's own for treatment of depression.  Try exposure to 10,000 lux bright light (a light box) 30 minutes per day between 6-9 am.  Can't hurt to try and side effects are minimal.

Maria

IP Logged

"All you have to do is the best you can. A high wave comes, a crashing wave comes, a gentle swell follows. Whatever comes, stay in your boat. And enjoy the ride. And row." Peggy Noonan
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 3:58pm »

Hey cool!  I WAS wondering if these tanning spas would be effective for light therapy.  Especially mid winter for SAD.  Do you know?
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
thomas

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15th, 2003, 4:13pm »

Thanks Maria.  What I really want to know, after reading all of the stuff about low melatonin and seretonin levels in ch patients, is has anyone tried the two together?  It seems to me that it may be a good combination.  Say melatonin and paxil.  I just talked to my nurse today - the neurologist was at outreach all day.  He is going to get a script for paxil for me today.  Then I'm going to try the two together and see if it helps.  It seems logical to me that it could be beneficial to some of us.  I was wondering if anyone else had tried it, so I would know what I might be in for.
IP Logged
lelacks
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16th, 2003, 1:21am »

I also tried the melatonin, but although I can't attribute it to one thing, that night, I had a horrible time.  Maybe because it helped me sleep faster (usually insomniac) leading to REM, when CHs usually hit.  However, I tried it early on in my cycle, and it didn't seem to affect me.   One thing I do notice is this, though, and I was wondering if anyone else did...with or without the CH in the middle of the night, I can't seem to get through a normal nights sleep without waking up.  Maybe its the anxiety of waiting for it to come?  Anyway, I'd like to hear if your attempts work.  It seems that anything involving less drugs seems worth trying.  Good luck and God bless.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16th, 2003, 7:39am »

I went to the pharmacy last night to get my paxil - I need prior authorization.  I'm mad.  Am calling the doc today to see what's up.  Two nights on the meletonin and only one ch so far - pretty heavy shadows this morning though.
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16th, 2003, 4:51pm »

Hi Thomas.  At one time I was taking Paxil and melatonin.  I wasn't really gung ho about the melatonin and was only taking the recommended 3 mg.  Neither of them did anything for my CH.  For me, Paxil caused a whole nother problem that took a long time to resolve.  To this day I still curse the name of the doc that prescribed Paxil.  I hope you find something that works.  Whatever you do, make sure you do lots of research on the meds you plan to take.  The docs may not be 'fully informed'.

Incidentally at around the same time I was trying to expose myself to 'full spectrum lighting' for 1 hour each day in the morning.  I don't think it did a damn thing... except later on I found a better use for my 'full spectrum light'....

--- Steve
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2003, 4:53pm by eyes_afire » IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
thomas

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 7:26am »

Well so far I have had 2 1/2 nights of uniterupetd sleep - thank God.  In one of my moments of lucidity, I had this thought; Since not everyone reacts the same to treatments and meds, maybe ch is caused by different things in different people.  Maybe mine is a lack of melatonin and seratonin.  Maybe someone else's are caused by lack of o2 in the blood or any myriad of problems.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 8:38am »

Melatonin has a show a moderate sucess rate as a prophylactic in some studies (50%), but no success in other studies.  With a better understanding of melatonin, the sucess rate might be boosted.  

While there is a low level of melatonin in cluster heads, the amount is not the only factor.  Because it can reset biological clocks, the timing for taking melatonin could also be important,  In CH, the circadian cycle tends to run 1 hour ahead of schedule.  

Time released melatonin may be more useful than the slam-bam of a quick dissolving dose.  While melatonin is seen as non-toxic,  people with sharp night-time melatonin peaks are more likely to have apnea and related problems (which may actually CH trigger).  Ordinarily, cluster heads have an abnormally flat graph of melatonin production.  

Tryptophan might be even more useful, as it is a precursor of melatonin.  Numerous studies show that tryptophan increases melatonin production, and this could be more in tune with the natural rythms of the body than a dose of melatonin.  

Low melatonin has been linked to poor posture and scoliosis - and cluster heads have low melatonin, even out of a cycle.  This could be the next poll - how many cluster heads are chronically criticized for poor posture??  

IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17th, 2003, 9:12am »

I have poor posture.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss