Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « semi-OT: Data Mining and Medical Research »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   semi-OT: Data Mining and Medical Research
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: semi-OT: Data Mining and Medical Research  (Read 918 times)
floridian

Email

semi-OT: Data Mining and Medical Research
« on: Oct 18th, 2003, 7:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Just came across this article on data mining. It mentions medical research, in particular, a doctor that used pubmed to research migraines.

Quote:
The best-known anecdote about text mining involves Don R. Swanson, a professor emeritus of information science at the University of Chicago who in the 1980's decided to take a deep look at medical literature on migraines. Starting only with the word "migraine," he downloaded abstracts from 2,500 articles from Medline and looked closely at the titles. When certain concepts caught his eye, he conducted new searches to see whether that concept existed in the full texts of other articles related to migraines.

In one instance, a reference to a neural phenomenon called "spreading depression" caused him to look for articles with that term in their titles. Reading those pieces, he found that magnesium was often mentioned as preventing this spreading depression. Other connections to magnesium deficiencies started to appear, so he dug further. In a 1988 paper on his research, he wrote, "One is led to the conjecture that magnesium deficiency might be a causal factor in migraine."

Today, Dr. Swanson's work is considered significant both for migraine studies and for text mining. The link between the headaches and magnesium deficiency was soon backed up by actual experiments.

New York Times articles are only open for a week - after that you need to pay.  
http://nytimes.com/2003/10/16/technology/circuits/16mine.html
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: semi-OT: Data Mining and Medical Research
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18th, 2003, 12:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

WWW.HEADACHEPAINFREE.COM   The content of this site has been expanded since I first posted it. It now covers several types of headache and a more general coverage of medications. It remains, to my knowledge, the best single source of information on the use of magnesium for headache--both for prevention and as a  treatment during an active cycle.

Magnesium as a preventive treatment for CH is the main value of this site. It appears that magnesium has been used in Europe for some years for this purpose and I've posted one medical report about using IV magnesium to abort headaches which would not repond to the usual medications.  
----------------
Reports from folks here have been few in number and mixed in terms of results. The site (above) is the best single one I've seen with info on using/doses/forms of magnesium. The literature has enough positives to make it worth a try and costs are modest. It is not, clearly, a magic bullet.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: semi-OT: Data Mining and Medical Research
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18th, 2003, 1:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's some more on magnesium and headaches. A lot of times you'll find potassium included in articles about magnesium. I think that zinc is worth researching also, although I haven't done it.

http://www.headachepainfree.com/magnesium.htm
Migraine headache site: (find out about vitamins and minerals Magnesium)

http://neuro-www.mgh.harvard.edu/forum/HeadacheF/Newresearch.treatment.h tml
Intravenous magnesium sulfate to relieve low serum ionized magnesium levels

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/messages/73084.html
Ted (12-28-00 article on Magnesium)
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss