Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 5:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Well this isn't a cure but it has made this cycle »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Well this isn't a cure but it has made this cycle
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Well this isn't a cure but it has made this cycle  (Read 1222 times)
thomas

Email

Well this isn't a cure but it has made this cycle
« on: Oct 20th, 2003, 11:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

bearable.  20 min hot steamy shower at 8:30 pm.  take 3mg of melatonin at 9:00.  Asleep by 10:00.  Usually sleep till 4-5am.  May have a 6 Kipper around that time - about every 3 days.  Take another hot shower in the am.  Take an ssri with breakfast.  Take a magnesium tablet with lunch.  Stay away from known triggers during the day.  Repeat procedure again.  I have only used 3 abortives in the last two weeks.  Just passing this along in case it helps anyone else.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: Well this isn't a cure but it has made this cy
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20th, 2003, 12:19pm »

Glad you found a way to lessen the pain.  You might want to also consider the following, which reduce inflammitory compounds that are elevated in cluster heads:

Turmeric (or curcumin, a turmeric extract)
Tea (green or black, decaf or regular)
Flax oil or fish oil  

I was regularly taking magnesium, turmeric, tea, and occasionally taking flax oil, melatonin and 5htp.  This summer's episode was a dry cycle (or phantom cluster) - no headaches, but all the other problems like disturbed sleep, palpitations, numbness/tingling, and generally feeling crappy.   This indicates to me that either 1) I was lucky, and avoided head pain for some unknown reason, or 2) the treatment did block the final stage of the disease (head pain), while the hypothalamus and other central mechanisms were still messed up.  Still, even if not a perfect cure, its better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.  I am going try the hot shower idea next time the beast appears.   I have been taking up to 400 mg per day choline  for the past couple of weeks and had no problems tolerating it (choline is deficient in cluster heads, and is critical to autonomic nerve function).   Also, I am taking moderate zinc supplements (25 mg/day) now, and may double that in cycle as zinc also inhibits the glutamate-NMDA pain transmission.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20th, 2003, 1:00pm »

Thanks for the info.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 6:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi! Smiley

I've read a lot about different treatments. There is one called triple therapy, which actually has magnesium in it.  

If I recall it right, there's more about it in a book titled What Your Doctor May NOt Tell You About Migraines - The Breakthrough Program That Can Help End Your Pain by Alexander Mouskop and Barry Fox.
The idea in triple therapy is to eat every day tablets, which include magnesium (300-400mg), vitamin riboflavin (vitamin B2, 400mg) and herb feverfew (100mg). In US there's a product called Micra-Lieve that has them all.

I don't know about you, but when I read that some ch patients got instant pain relief - and remission of several months, well, that made me want to know more!

One of the authors of that book has studied magnesium and cluster and in the case of his patients, it works magic. I hope it still works for you!!! Smiley

Best wishes & PFdays,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

thomas

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 7:54am »

Thanks.  I've seen the migralieve, but haven't tried it because I thought it would just work for migrains.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 29th, 2003, 2:16pm »

bump
IP Logged
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Let's try and find some ANSWERS!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 7:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 20th, 2003, 12:19pm, floridian wrote:
Glad you found a way to lessen the pain.  You might want to also consider the following, which reduce inflammitory compounds that are elevated in cluster heads:

Turmeric (or curcumin, a turmeric extract)
Tea (green or black, decaf or regular)
Flax oil or fish oil  

I was regularly taking magnesium, turmeric, tea, and occasionally taking flax oil, melatonin and 5htp.  ....
Also, I am taking moderate zinc supplements (25 mg/day) now, and may double that in cycle as zinc also inhibits the glutamate-NMDA pain transmission.

Jos has been taking a lot of those too, firstly avoiding any triggers (if he has those), secondly magnesium, 3 times a day zink-piccolinate (because it's supposed to regulate the mineral-balance, and added choline in a lecithine-bound form because I read too that this would be deficient in CH-heads.  

Haven't noticed any good effects from it though: he still had kip 9-10 if we didn't do anything else.

Seems to have a good effect on you though ... congrats  Smiley, and keep looking.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2003, 7:29am by HannahFroukje » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss