Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex side-effects »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex side-effects
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex side-effects  (Read 370 times)
jmc1106
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Imitrex side-effects
« on: Oct 21st, 2003, 2:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just wondered if any of you have the same side-effects to the Imitrex injections. About four minutes after the shot, my husband says his eyes burn, he tastes something "metalic" and he gets dizzy and nauseated. A few minutes after that, the side-effects AND the headache disappear. It's amazing, it only takes about 7 minutes. I'm assuming these side-effects aren't too serious since they only last a few minutes.  

Also, the last three clusters have begun to hurt on the left as well as the right side (although not as bad). Hubby says the pain "wraps around his head at eye level." Does this sound familiar? Come to think of it, these have been thre three headaches we treated with injections, could they be causing this?

Jan
IP Logged
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Imitrex side-effects
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 3:49pm »

The only side effect of trex that I have is a slight loopy feeling after the shot kicks in.  I only use 1/3 of a shot, so that may be why I don't have any.  I do get side effects from using the nasals, a nasty, nasty taste....and the continuation of my ch.

Sorry I can't help you with the wrap around pain...I've never experienced that.  Mine focus only on one side, with or without trex.

Tracey
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Yos
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 6:21pm »

When I first took Imitrex (maybe 4 years ago), I got similar effects.  There would be a rush of blood feeling to my head (sort of felt like my eye was burning), and there was a weird taste, although I related it more to a medicine, or slight bloody taste (yuck).

As far as the wrap around pain, not sure if this is the same, but as it started to work, there would seem to be a break down of that very distinct wall down the center of my head and the pain would briefly flow to the other side as well and then very rapidly vanish.

Also I would feel a big cardio rush like I almost couldn't get my breath.

Now I get pretty much no feeling from it whatsoever.  It just makes the headache go away in anywhere from 2 to 25 minutes - usually around 15.  That has seemed to increase over time, which worries me a little that it might stop working at some point, but so far so good.

Have other people seen an increase over time in the time it takes to kick in?
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 7:05pm »

Supposedly CH is unilateral only.  That holds true for me...I have never had pain on both sides at the same time.  I have had attacks on the left side, but they are rare...most of mine are on the right.  With full dose injections of trex, the only side effects I have experienced was a slight tightness in my throat that took about 20 minutes to go away.  It doesn't make me tired, panic, pulse change, "loopy", nauseated, funny tastes, dizziness...none of that.  I had the throat tightness for about the 1st 4 injections.  I have experienced no side effects since then.  I would feel the same about your husband's side effects as you seem to.  They are not persistent...probably not a big deal.  As for the pain on both sides...dunno, new one on me for CH.  The pain doesn't fade away for me from a trex injection...it's just all of a sudden gone.  I have had two occasions where the pain did not go completely away, but the reduction in pain both times was still sudden.

Just my experiences...

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Episodic CH since 11 yrs old, now 39.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26th, 2003, 12:49pm »

Read previous posts on this Medications, Treatments, Therapies board about Imitrex.  Some great info posted.  Also, here is a link that may be of help RE: side effects, and don't pass up reading the insert from the pharmacy/Imitrex box....www.imitrex.com
Good luck,
Gregg in Las Vegas
IP Logged

Wishing all a Pain Free 2008!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss