Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil question  (Read 284 times)
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

Verapamil question
« on: Oct 27th, 2003, 1:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, no one answered me on the other board so I'll post this here:

I have my first follow up appt with the neuro today at 11:30 am and I'm hoping he ups my verap from 240 mg to 480.  

I did have a question first.  When my GP gave me a scrip for verap (before the neuro) it was for VERAPAMIL 180MG ER capsules.  After getting the scrip from the neuro filled, I noticed the bottle says "Verapamil ER 240 MG Tablets, Generic for Calan SR 240mg Tablets".  First of all, is there a difference between the capsules & the tablets?  And, I can never remember...is ER the right type that I should be taking?  

Thanks!  

Virginia
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
thomas

Email

Re: Verapamil question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 3:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It's been 4 years since I took that stuff.  I can't help you.  Sorry.
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 8:33pm »

Hi Virginia,
The confusing part is that verapamil comes in many forms.  Some people do fine with ER (extended release) or SR (sustained release), but it seems that many clusterheads have better success with the immediate release.

For me personally, I'm doing very well with 240 mg of Verapamil SR (not capsules... I guess you'd call em tablets).  I'm very sensitive to the effects of verapamil so I'm not sure I could handle 480 mg.  I think it varies depending on the individual.  I don't think there's anything wrong with starting out on the ER, so long as the Neuro realizes that if that fails then perhaps the immediate release form may work.

I'm not sure about capsules vs tablets, but my hunch is to trust the neuro on that one and accept the tablets.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
K.
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 9:22pm »

I've noticed that most clusterheads take the immediate release verap. but for me...I've only taken the ER and it works fine but I have to take 480mg because if the dose is any lower it doesn't make a difference. It's a little scary because it lowers my blood pressure and my heart beats irregular. I'm sure verap. is a lttle different for everyone.  

PFDAN to ya!
K.
IP Logged
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

a.k.a. Max Payne, YOUCH this hurts...

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 5:25pm »

slow release rules! thumb
IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Episodic CH since 11 yrs old, now 39.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 4:29pm »

9erfan,  
Did the doc up your dose?  
I take 240 mg of Verap tablets daily all at once.  They are immediate release.  Not familiar with capsules.  
Gregg in Las Vegas
IP Logged

Wishing all a Pain Free 2008!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss