Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « American Council for Headache Education - melatoni »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   American Council for Headache Education - melatoni
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: American Council for Headache Education - melatoni  (Read 349 times)
jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

American Council for Headache Education - melatoni
« on: Oct 27th, 2003, 3:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Go to www.achenet.org and click "search" then type "cluster" in the box and perform the search.  It's a wonderful site devoted to headaches.

There were a number of excellent articles on cluster treatment, diagnosis and public perception.  One interesting stat was that the average cluster sufferer took 6.6 years to get diagnosed (pretty close to correct for me, and I finally had to diagnose myself).  Wow!

Of particular interest to me were preventative treatments.  Melatonin was discussed by a number of doctors, with the general consensus being 6-9mg before bedtime with good results.  Seeing as melatonin is about as cheap as asprin and requires no Rx and has no known bad side effects, I'll be trying it starting tonight.

Abortive approaches were typically varied, but prevention would be great.  Incedentally one abortive approach that has worked well for me is effervescent codeine phosphate / APAP tablets (basically Alka-Seltzer with codeine).  They work really fast but taste disgusting, not to mention are addictive and I've been sourcing them illegally from overseas.  My last doctor, who I recently fired, was giving me Lortab ?(hydrocodone / APAP) pills which are even more addictive but take over 30 minutes to work, and basically a bad idea for cluster.  I'm hoping melatonin will allow me to quit opiates largely or entirely.

The other usual suspects for prevention and abortion of cluster were discussed, but seeing as how inexpensive and benign melatonin is I believe this should be the first approach tried for preventiin - if it works, great, if not then try something else.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

Re: American Council for Headache Education - mela
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 3:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Read my post that starts out "This is not a cure but..."  I've had really good luck with melatonin.  The last 3 nights I've taken 4mg of time release melatonin.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2003, 3:59pm by thomas » IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: American Council for Headache Education - mela
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 8:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hope the melatonin works for you; reports on success have been mixed but, as you note, it's a cheap trial.

In any case, pain medications are not the way to begin with clusters and any doctor who uses them as a first stage treatment is very much out of date. Hope you have explored the meds button on the left and also look at www.headachedrugs.com--excellent site operated by a headache clinic in the Chicago area.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss