Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « waking with aura, then migraine »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   waking with aura, then migraine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: waking with aura, then migraine  (Read 466 times)
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

waking with aura, then migraine
« on: Oct 27th, 2003, 11:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When I am clustering, I will wake up in the morning with the aura, (shadows, confusion, dreamlike state, one sided numbness and tingling), and then after about 1/2 hour the migraine will set in.  Anyone relate?
Thanks,
Vi
IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: waking with aura, then migraine
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 8:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

When I am in cycle, I get one sided numbness and tingling (usually brain and foot).  

I occasionally get aura, but not in cycle, and it has never developed into a migraine.  Are you sure its aura?  What do you mean by dreamlike state?  My aura usually starts by a blinking spot, which turns into a blind spot, and the blind spot expands to cover most of my central field of vision.  There are "lightning bolts" or squiggles in the peripheral field.   If it is a strong aura, I can't really focus on anything.  But I wouldn't call it dreamlike.
IP Logged
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 12:41pm »

With my aura I get flashing geometrical patterns in either one or both eyes, or shadows, like my vision is getting dimmer.  It usually get dimmer first, then the flashing geometrical patterns start to move around, usually in a circle.  Then I get numbness and tingling on one side of my body, dizzyness, and confusion, like I'm dreaming the whole thing.  My neurologist says this is because my artery is in the constriction phase, and I am not getting enough oxygen to my brain.  That is when I start the O2, and it helps stop the migraine.  Otherwise, I get the hideous stabbing, ice pick bashing, feeling in my eye and temple, and then I just want to vomit and die.  Bust sometimes when the flashing lights start I feel really out of it.  The migraines are coming on more in the morning now, than any other time of day.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 7:27pm »

You have CH and migraines?  Or do you know?
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
floridian

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 8:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yeah, that sounds like the classic description of aura, all right.
IP Logged
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 9:41pm »

ummm...my neuro told me they were clusters ???
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 10:41pm »

on Oct 27th, 2003, 11:13pm, violet wrote:
When I am clustering, I will wake up in the morning with the aura, (shadows, confusion, dreamlike state, one sided numbness and tingling), and then after about 1/2 hour the migraine will set in.  Anyone relate?  

I do not doubt the diagnosis Violet...I asked because of your use of the word "migraine."  CH and migraine are not synonymous.  I was just seeing if maybe you had both or something.   Grin  Some folks actually suffer from both...that's gotta suck.
IP Logged

ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 5:55am »

He guys, and Violet too, it is perfectly possible to have clusters AND migraines. Just ask Elaine.

Or clusters and aura's. At the moment I am getting reminders of the beast's existence, and some aura's in between. They don't however relate in timing to the painless clusters I am feeling.

Violet, you may very well have migraines too, with the aura as a wake-up call, and a cluster attack, totally uinrelated, later in the day.
IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 7:49am »

Some docs use the term "cluster migraine" to describe a condition in which elements of both disorders are present at the same time.  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
violet
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 11:29am »

I asked my neurologist this morning for clarifiaction.  he said I was having cluster migraines with aura beforehand.  First the aura symptoms, and then the hideous pain and agony of the cluster.  I'm sort of confused now...Don't most clusterheads have auras too?  I thought that I read a few posts here about people seeing shadows before the pain hits them.  And my main question was, how many of you have clusters upon waking?
Vi
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #10 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 11:59am »

Violet, shadows (of clusters) are NOT seen, they are just felt, as in foreshadowing of an attack, or as (relatively) painless attack.

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 2:30pm »

The OUCH convention summary from this year states that some clusterheads can experience some certain "typical" migraine symptoms at some point during their CH life.  This can include auras, nausea, light/sound sensitivity among others.  That doesn't mean the correct diagnosis would be "cluster migraine"  Two different ailments.  There was a conversation on this MB not too long ago about this.  You either have CH, migraines or both.  I am fairly certain that those who suffer from both do not have a migraine attack and a CH attack at the same time every time.  Migraines can last a long time, CH is a few hours max.  You should be able to distinguish the two easily.

Yes, I have had CH attacks in the morning upon waking...not commonly though.

Shadow is a term we use to describe minor CH attacks.  Those can linger for a long time.  On the KIP scale (pain scale) 1-4 that doesn't develop to above a 4 in 30 minutes or less is what I consider a shadow.  Above 4, I consider a CH attack.

An ER visit once yielded me a diagnosis of "cluster migraine"  Idiots!  BTW, I suffer none of the typical migraine symptoms...not even common triggers.

Hope that helps break it down.

Chris
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss