Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 12:58am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Type of O2 mask »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Type of O2 mask
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Type of O2 mask  (Read 368 times)
Yos
New Board Newbie

Email

Type of O2 mask
« on: Oct 28th, 2003, 11:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

While staring at my quickly depleting stash of Imitrex, I decided to break down and call my doc yesterday to get some O2.  I haven't tried this before, and it seems funny to say, but I guess I had avoided it because it seemed like a big jump from pills/injections.  I guess just because of the hardware.

Anyway, speaking of the hardware, I think I got the wrong mask.  The good news is my doc called in the scrip with just a phone call from me, but the bad news is they didn't get what I asked for.  What my doc called in was the standard strap on mask without the bag on it.  The mask has the two little circles on the sides with several small holes in each circle.  The guy at the med supply said I could get 10LPM from this type of mask with no problem.

Have people had any luck with this type of mask, or is the full non-rebreather w/ bag needed for full effect?  I woke up at 4am this morning with just a shadow and hit the tank right off for about 15 minutes and it never developed into a full blown, which is abnormal but not completely unheard of for me at this stage of my cycle and having been on depakote for 3 weeks, so I'm not sure if it was a fluke, or the O2.

I really didn't feel any light-headedness from breathing the O2.  I guess I thought I would.  Prior to diagnosis even, I used to often hyperventilate to try to reduce the pain - just trial and error during desperation I think - and I didn't even feel that much lightheadedness from the O2.  Is that normal?

O2 newbie - Yos
IP Logged
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

Re: Type of O2 mask
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 11:12am »

Yos, this is from the o2 link on the left.
Quote:
You must have the proper delivery system: an oxygen supply (tank of oxygen--preferably medical grade), a NON-REBREATHER mask- the type that covers your mouth and nose and has a bag below to conserve the pure oxygen (NOT the tubes that go into your nostrils!),

Hope this helps.

Jim

IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Yos
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 11:16am »

Thanks Jim.

I read that even prior to asking for the O2, but that is not what the doc called in.  So I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with just the mask without the bag.  

Does the system with the bag only allow air out, and not allow air in so the user is getting more pure O2?  The mask I have allows in plenty of outside air.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 12:27pm »

Yos, you need a non-rebreather mask. No outside air allowed.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 12:29pm »

Yos,
You want the o2 as pure as possible @ 10-12LPM.  
You can put tape over the holes so the o2 doesn't escape and outside air doesn't come in.
The bag should fill up while you're breathing and stay that way.  

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 2:19pm »

Yos,

The mask you have may work.  Like JDH says, I'd put tape over the holes in the side, crank the flow up as high as you need so that when you inhale, you don't suck any air in around the mask/face seal.  When you exhale, lift the bottom of the mask away from your face enough to let the used air out.  Push it hard against your face again and inhale.  This way you get 100% O2 and it also gives you something to think about while you're waiting for it to work.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
sleepy2
New Board Newbie

i'm new...be easy on me

justsupplies03
Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 3:31pm »

Yos,

I have been using O2 for about 3 or so years now.  I am chronic so I hit the O2 about 2-5 times a day.  This is what i found that works best and doesn't waste any O2.  Like I said, been doing this for quite a while with NO problems so it is safe (at least for me).  When i first started, i was given the mask/bag combo.  It did work, however it took too long for it to work.  I cut the mask and bag from the supply hose connected to the tank.  I breathe out and then put the hose (alone) in my mouth.  Kick the regulator up to 15 liters.  When i consume a full breath of O2 I turn the regulator control between 15 and 14.  On my regulator, it shuts the O2 Off.  If your regulator doesn't do that, simply shut the tank off between each breath.  By doing this, you will get all O2 and no outside air.  It cut my time in half from full blown to nothing.  It has worked for years without fail and hope it will do the same for you.
IP Logged

I really am missing the freedom of leaving my house without having to drag an oxygen tank with me
Yos
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 3:47pm »

Thanks for the replies.  I'll give these a try, hopefully later than sooner...
The strength and kindness here never ceases to encourage me.

Yos
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2003, 9:44am by Yos » IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 7:24pm »

on Oct 28th, 2003, 2:19pm, Bob P wrote:
Like JDH says, I'd put tape over the holes in the side, crank the flow up as high as you need so that when you inhale, you don't suck any air in around the mask/face seal.  

I received a mask that had one side of the two holes covered with a rubber flap (one way valve-exhale only)...the other side was not covered up for emergency to prevent aspiration if the O2 tank runs out while you are sleeping or whatever.  Anyway, grab another mask, yank that flap off and put it on the other side...then you will be all set.  You should have the bag on the mask as well.  A true non-rebreather mask is the setup as described under the oxygen info link.  The tape can work, but it creates the exhale hassle.  The mask is designed for two one-way valves...that's why those holes are there with the piece on it to hold onto that rubber flap.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
markg111
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 2:01pm »

Hi Yos,
When I first started using oxygen, I was using the nasal canulas (the little tubes that slip in your nose) with success.
Now I use the type of mask that you are describing also with success.
I guess the non rebreather mask is what is recommended, but this mask works fine for me....
It catches the CH 8 out of 10 times
IP Logged
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 7:12am »

...just remember to cut off the strap...if you DO go to sleep the mask will fall away and your body will continue to get air....
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
Seiji
New Board Newbie
USA 

live long and pain free

1278053 1278053   tango36025  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 10:57am »

if you inhale slowly that mask will do till you get a NRB msk
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 7:11pm »

on Oct 30th, 2003, 7:12am, Not4Hire wrote:
...just remember to cut off the strap...if you DO go to sleep the mask will fall away and your body will continue to get air....

Or use a cooking timer set to 15 mins...I never use the strap anyway.
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss