Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:50pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How effective is the Duragesic Pain Patch? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   How effective is the Duragesic Pain Patch?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How effective is the Duragesic Pain Patch?  (Read 270 times)
ClstrHeadSupport
New Board Junior
USA 

Supporter of my Cluster Head, Stephen Pope.

PopeFamily_430  
WWW Email

How effective is the Duragesic Pain Patch?
« on: Oct 28th, 2003, 6:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am new to the site and have spent the past few days reading all of the posts on the Medications, Treatments, Therapies boards.  I've heard the Duragesic Pain Patch mentioned a few times.  I'm just curious how effective this is, and for how many of you?  Does it prevent them all together?  It doesn't sound like something that is used as an abortive.  My fiancee has Episodic CH.  He's currently on Stadol.  We're trying to find something as effective.
IP Logged

Sara Pope
Jimmy_B

Email

Re: How effective is the Duragesic Pain Patch?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 8:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The Duragesic (Fentanyl Transdermal System) is a strong narcotic that delivers the potent pain med. Fentanyl into your system through a patch that's adhered to the upper body. It's available in 25, 50, 75, & 100 micro-grams per hour strength. Each patch will deliver the med for up to 72 hours & the 50, 75, & 100 mcg/h strengths are only for people that are already on and tolorant to opioid therapy.

It is (IMHO) a bad choice for Episodics. Since it takes up to a week or two to titrate the dose properly & then must be slowly withdrawn upon stopping. Since most Cluster cycles only last 1 or 2 months...it doesn't make much sense. Also it can & most likely will cause dependence & the user will go through a "Withdrawal Syndrome" upon stopping the drug. Ther is also a 4 to 5 percent chance that the user will become addicted to Narcotics upon habitual use.

Narcotics for Clusters are used as a last resort. Try the other meds available:  

Good Luck
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29th, 2003, 3:31pm »

I use duragesic patch.  Check your pm.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2003, 3:32pm by Karla » IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
gore2424
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Camero's "RULE"

52473361 52473361   gore2424   gore2424
Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 1:37am »

I also wear patch 100 ug/h been working for me for 10 months. Only thing I am on . I am not on any preventives either just patch. Plus Dr gives me 10 mg morphine to have at house just in case. He will only give me 4 per month but thats ok only been using 2 so far so have 5 saved and next week will have another helps me when even the patch forgets to do its job.  PS I as take antidepession and anixity meds too. Just have to watch you dont go into lalala land too much. I have worked my way to the 100 but since i got a lot of stess relieved from me in about a month i will try to go down to a 75. Plus cutting doen on others too. BTW been chronic for 3 years. Spring and Fall only before for 15 years.
IP Logged

what the hamsalad was that ¿?¿
I said your hair looks nice Ü
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 12:10pm »

The Duragesic helped quite a bit. It's not for acute pain treatment, but it takes the edge off if you are chronic and have daily pain. It's neither an abortive or a preventative, but will treat low to mid-level pain. It doesn't work for everyone, and should not be used for episodic treatment. Oral meds don't stay in my stomach, so this was a blessing for me.  

The first patch you apply will take about 12-24 hours to start working and may feel sedating for the first week or so. It's convenient because you only have to change them every three days. Hot showers or summer weather can cause the patch to drain more quickly, so the patch might go "dry" before the three days are up. It's best to stay cool and keep it out of the sun.  

It is a controlled substance, so the scripts are written in one month supplies on a special script that must be picked up at the Doctor office personally. They can't just call it in to the pharmacy. This limits the chance of misuse or overuse. You get a thirty day supply. If you use that up before the end of thirty days, you would be stuck.

I started out with a 25 microgram patch two years ago. It didn't help, so they upped it to 50 mcg, which did. After three months, I took a med break for 6 months, then went back on it last year. Your body gets "acclimated" so after six months the 50 mcg was no longer effective. I went to 75 mcg for the next six months. When that quit helping, I started a wean to go off of it, rather than up my dosage again. The wean takes about a month and can be very unpleasant if you have been on it for longer than 6 months. Possible to self-detox, but a "yuck" experience.

I didn't realize how much relief it provided until I went off of it, but the breaks are necessary.

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2003, 12:12pm by hdbngr » IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 12:18pm »

Have tried the pads,and it kill hits up to kip7-8.My personal opinion is that the sidefeects of the pads is worse then what we can win by using it.

My advice is to take the time to test/try the other meds for us
There is a lot of new meds/combination of new meds out there

See no reson to get addicted before you have tried the other meds.

Just read and learn.

Pop a question here and you get good answers from our friends here in Clusterville

Take Care

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss