Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 6:29pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Info on Migranal???? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Info on Migranal????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Info on Migranal????  (Read 373 times)
Zonie
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Info on Migranal????
« on: Oct 29th, 2003, 9:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I saw my new neuro on Monday and he has adjusted my battleplan considerably.  He did an occipital nerve block and prescribed several new meds, one of which is Migranal nasal spray.  I have been unable to find much info regarding this medication and would welcome any information that any of you might have.

He did seem very knowlegable about clusters and I am very optimistic about future treatment.  The nerve block doesn't seem to have helped at all, but the nasal spray worked wonderfully the one time that I have used it.  It says not to use it but 3 times per week and I need it about 12 to 15 times at least.  

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Zonie
IP Logged
Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

Re: Info on Migranal????
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 12:41am »

About the Occipital nerve block...I have had 4 of these. 3 were bi-lateral. It really seems to me that the positioning (insertion point) of the needle(s) had alot to do with the results. Only the first of mine actually provided PFD's (17) and was totally painless. The last 3 didn't help at all and left big knots on the back of my neck/head (hurt like a sob). Just a thought ...
About the Migranal...I don't know alot about it. I usually get DHE via IV at the hospital to prevent my attacks (gives me a brief break). Migranal Nasal spray is DHE in a spray and there is plenty of information out there regarding this medication. Just put it in a search and you should come up with plenty. Or...you could start here:
http://www.migranal.com/
http://www.migranal.com/site/about.htm
http://www.migranal.com/site/dhe_main.htm
http://pedspain.nursing.uiowa.edu/Adjuvants/NSEMIG1.htm
http://www.migraines.org/treatment/promgrns.htm

This never really helped me to abort an attack, but when given as DHE via IV...it's my only break and has been for quite some time now.
Hope it works for you  Smiley
Unsolved

IP Logged

I need a fully automatic Imitrex injector
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 3:54am »

migranol is an older drug.  And my pharmacist said it is considered a dirty drug compaired to imitrix being clean.  Not sure what that meant.  I have used it before and found it as effective as imitrix however you have to use it less often than the imitrix.  That to me was not acceptable.  Sometimes you have to spell it out to your dr.  If I am getting hit 8x a day and I can only use it 3x a week why bother giving it to me.  I need full coverage.  Or explain it in terms of hours you are in pain verses how many hours of relief you get.  Sometimes that picture helps them understand the need.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 8:17pm »

I believe that the docs told me Imitrex is more specific to which blood vessels it affects as where DHE consticts all the vessels which may result in whitening of the fingers / toes (blood shortage). DHE being more dangerous to your blood pressure.  
Sound right ? ???
IP Logged

I need a fully automatic Imitrex injector
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30th, 2003, 9:22pm »

I've had both forms of dihydroergotamine (DHE) - the intravenous form in the hospital for 3 days and the Migranal nasal spray.

Both worked fine - the IV treatment as a preventative when my h/a's stopped responding my normal regimen of Maxalt and O2, and the nasal spray as an abortive. Using the spray was a pain in the ass, however, because you have to break open a glass vial and then rig it up into a sprayer - which sucks when you're approaching Kip 10.

The other thing I hated about the spray was that my nose was always stuffed up for a whole day afterward. It is a good drug, though.

Bill
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Zonie
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 2nd, 2003, 3:52am »

Thanks for the info.  The last one that I used did take the CH down to a shadow in about 20 minutes, but did not take it completely away as good as does my cafergot.  Then I was awakened in about 3 hours with another 5 on kip so I just took cafergot and finally got back to sleep.  Also, I had some really weird dreams both times that I used the migranal and had a real problem getting to sleep.  

I think that I'll just tell the doc that I need somthing different and see what he comes up with next.  

Again thanks for the info.

Zonie
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss