Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 5:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Personal melatonin trial data »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Personal melatonin trial data
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Personal melatonin trial data  (Read 6305 times)
jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Personal melatonin trial data
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14th, 2003, 5:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 14th, 2003, 11:39am, Paigelle wrote:
Going to buy Melatonin today.  Any brand better than others.  What should I look for?  

I'd buy the 3mg pills so you can experiment with dosage.  6-9mg works well for me, 3mg for others such as Thomas.

Some brands combine vitamin B with the melatonin.  Personally I don't want a lot of excess B in my system so I got a brand that is only melatonin.  I cannot recall the brand, so read the label.
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #26 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 9:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Okay, I have been using Melantonin since Friday.  I took 3mg Friday night no CH, I took 6 mg Saturday night no CH, I took 3mg last night and I was up at 3:47 with a CH.  I was only about a KIP 2, but I am also just in the beginning of my cycle.  So, it is okay to up the dosage to 9mg and not go comatose?  I really don't want to take prednisone again, even though it knocked them out cold.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #27 on: Nov 17th, 2003, 10:23am »

Melatonin is non-toxic, but some people definitely feel groggy or zombified the morning after - it seems to be an individual response.  Are you taking time released melatonin ?  I have had better CH prevention with that.  Also, consider taking a magnesium supplement, and something like tea (green or black, decaf or regular) to sponge up the Nitric Oxide.  Turmeric or curcumin also is anti-inflammitory and reduces some of the elevated immunochemicals seen in CH (like TNF-alpha, other cytokines).  5htp (50 mg twice daily when sleep is disturbed or have shadows or aches) also helps me - but could cause problems if you are on SSRIs or other anti-depressants.  Fish oil or flax oil helps to balance the autonomic nervous system, which is out of whack in CH. That's pretty much my regimen for last summer. I was headache free, but I could tell I was in a cycle.  I have since added saint johns wort and dropped the turmeric, and am trying to be consistent about taking the fish/flax oil. I plan to continue that through next summer. .. the personal experiment continues.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2003, 10:36am by floridian » IP Logged
jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #28 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 10:41am »

It's still working for me, see forst post in thread for updated data.  

As for dosage the studies used a dosage of 10mg so I would definitely up the dosage from 3mg to either 6 or 9 based on that.  I've been taking either 6 or 9mg depending on shadows the day preceeding an d it works well.  If you feel groggy in the morning you could simply take the dose earlier the night prior, perhaps 2 hours before bedtime instead of 1.
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #29 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 11:11am »

Took 6mg last night and will do 6mg again tonight.  I am not going to be stupid and go back to 3mg.  Nope, not going to do it.  I also took a small dose of Magnesium.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #30 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 2:40pm »

My best success came with using an ssri also.
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #31 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 3:15pm »

Thomas, I am a little slow during my cycles... What is SSRI?
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #32 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 3:46pm »

Selective seretonin re-uptake inhibitor ie prozac or paxil. Smiley
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #33 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 3:56pm »

Oh, that is what it is!   Roll Eyes  Somedays, I just shouldn't even get out of bed.  Today happens to be one of them!  Thank you Thomas.  I did get my magnesium yesterday I took it with dinner last night.  So, we will see what happens!
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #34 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 3:57pm »

I usually take my ssri and magnesium in the am and the melatonin at night, because the ssri can make you stay awake.
IP Logged
jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #35 on: Nov 25th, 2003, 3:47pm »

Still seems to be working with more evidence.  Wife had a baby last weekend on Friday and I skilled a couple days of melatonin.  Horrible headache each day as well as the day after I started taking it again.  One doctor told me melatonin takes a few days to build up in the system.  So yet again, more data consistent with melatonin working as a preventative for me.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #36 on: Nov 29th, 2003, 2:17pm »

bump
IP Logged
maria9
New Board Veteran

« Reply #37 on: Nov 29th, 2003, 7:54pm »

Thomas,

Just curious how much Prozac did you take?  My doc recommended 20 mg every other day for the duration of the cycle (whatever you guessed that would be) once the precursor symptoms of CH set in.  This is how I have been handling this curse over that last 9 nine years, only 1 cycle but as I have posted before massive doses of natural sunlight due to my golfing habit
IP Logged

"All you have to do is the best you can. A high wave comes, a crashing wave comes, a gentle swell follows. Whatever comes, stay in your boat. And enjoy the ride. And row." Peggy Noonan
thomas

Email

« Reply #38 on: Dec 1st, 2003, 9:50am »

20mg every day.
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #39 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 7:49pm »

bump
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss