Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:08am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anyone heard of this??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anyone heard of this???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anyone heard of this???  (Read 834 times)
armstrong
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pain is temporary, Pride is forever...

Anyone heard of this???
« on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Let me start out by saying that im active duty air force.  military doctors have not been able to diagnose my headaches which i have come to find out are clusters.  i told the doc what they were and told him nothing works for the pain short of a brick to the forehead.  i told him sometimes (for the demons that last longer than 15 minutes) that tylox or percocet seem to take my mind off the pain for a little while...so he prescribed me indocin (indomethacin)...after i had a headache and i took some of this nothing happened...so i decided to read about the med, its for arthritis and the gout...i think he misprescribed me...or does anyone know if this is a legit med for clusters???  any help would be great!!!
thanks
IP Logged
r_headache
New Board Junior
Germany 

Air Force Rocks!!

Re: Anyone heard of this???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:17am »

Welcome to the board!  I'm ADAF as well and the military doctors are not experts in the field of headaches. Some may have a clue but it seems yours dosen't. Request a referal to a Nero who will have a clue. Where are you located?
IP Logged
armstrong
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:20am »

im an instructor out at goodfellow...you?  yeah ive been seeing these guys from monterey to ft meade for years and they have no clue....im in the process of gettin a referral to get offa base
IP Logged
J.ten_Dam
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

poldertocht  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:30am »

Hi Armstrong I use Indometacine when I have CPH but it has no affect on  my CH which is cronic.
Wish you PFDAN
IP Logged

wish you PFDAN
Marc
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:30am »

Actually I think that your doc made a good call to try Indocin first to rule out CPH.

Marc
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:27pm »

I have tried indomethacin before.  It gave me 5 months of pain free livin before the beast came knockin on my door again.  I am chronic.  I had wished that the dr would have tried it first instead of four years after the fact. Many dr will perscribe it first to rule out CPH.  I took 50mg 3X a day.  I hope it helps you.  I noticed my ha were gone after about 3 or 4 days on the stuff.  Good luck!  
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
armstrong
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 2:33pm »

thank you all for responding.  i really dont care what he/she gives me, i will take it...and so far this stuff has not worked at all.  its so hard to find a painkiller though because i cant tell if any work because the ha's are from 2 minutes to 2-3 hours long...and i dont have cycles that i can tell of...if so my first cycle lasted 3 years and then i had 1.5 years of remission and this "cycle" just started back up again 2 months ago, so im praying that its not another 2.8years til they go away again...and these are far worse than before, i have a supreme pain tolerance and i used to be able to just rock back and forth and rub the hell out of my temple until it stopped...but now i pace and dont dare try and talk to me, im a mean (not physically) dude when these things come around, and the pain is ungodly...and being that i work in the military in a job where i have to interact with people all day long, they just dont mix well...well thanks again for your responses and i wish you all pain free days...

timmy
IP Logged
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 2:37pm »

Imitrex injections or Oxygen for the pain, verapamil or prednisolone to prevent them. These work well for many of us.
IP Logged
armstrong
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 2:46pm »

do any of those meds have side effects? i mean i know they do, but any that would keep me from functioning around people?  its not like i function any better with a headache haha
IP Logged
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 3:35pm »

None that would make you loopy around people. Oxygen has no noticeable side effects (if you breath it too long... like for hours... it does), but 15 minutes at a time, no.
Imitrex isn't for everybody because it messes with your heart if you have heart problems. Verapamil is a blood pressure medication. It can lower your blood pressure which would not be good if you already have low blood pressure... but is a plus if you already have high blood pressure. Prednisolone can have some really bad side effects if taken long term, but the usual is only 1-3 weeks.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 6:12pm »

on Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:09am, armstrong wrote:
Let me start out by saying that im active duty air force.  

Me too...check your messages.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 7:14pm »

Imitrex injection would probably be your best best while at work with a stat dose system.  With me the headaches are gone in less than five minutes.  The only side effect that I have is a little weakness after the injection.  Anything taken orally takes too long to react to these things.

Good luck

Smiley
IP Logged
john_mc

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 3rd, 2003, 9:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I would like to mention here that I have had a great deal of success with Imitrex. I have figured out a way to give myself half of a full injection. The lower dose works well, the side affects are less and I get two shots for the price of one. Drop me a line if you want a description of how I use the Stat Dose pen in this way.

Good luck
IP Logged
gwen
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Nov 4th, 2003, 1:47pm »

sorry to here you suffer these headaches armstrong, you didnt say how long you took the indomethacin for. i suffer cph when i got given the indomethacin medication i was just tapering of my steriod (prednisolone). so you might have to give it a couple of days to kick in. indomethacin doesn't work for everybody there are others like you out there. if indo doesn't work for you try acetazolamide (diamox) in a dosage of 250mg three times a day, or try celecoxib (celebrex).  

good luck
       gwen
IP Logged
Mac
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 12:57pm »

Imitrex nasal spray works for me so far. It just shows you how difficult it is to pinpoint a cause let a lone come up with a cure for everybody who suffers from these f**king Angry headaches. If you do suffer from CHs sorry to hear it. But you have come to a site with lots of info and support.  Smiley
IP Logged

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office". - Aesop
portfolio http://www.artwanted.com/McDonall
http://www.clusterheadaches.ca
Len_Rogers

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 25th, 2003, 7:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The only thing that ever worked for me during an attack was Oxygen, and then about 70- 80% of the time.  It's the only effective way to stop the pain of an attack in progress, but it's not 100%.  The only med that worked in breaking a cluster was prednisone, about 50 to 60% of the time.
  I had had them all my life, until an ENT removed bone spurs in my nose a year or 2 ago;  haven;t had a single one since.
(I was born in 1942.)
Len
CT
IP Logged
zenerzoo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 12:26am »

I'm on veramamil and idocin not pf however headaches not too bad any where from a 2-7 still waiting for a pf night.
IP Logged

Just keep swimming..swimming swimming
shineon1844
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gunga galounga - total consciousness

shineon144

« Reply #17 on: Nov 26th, 2003, 2:58pm »

I was just prescrived Indocin today as well.  75mg pills, take once daily or as needed.  What is CPH?
IP Logged

Time flies like arrows, but fruit flies like bananas
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss