Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 11:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « can I buy sumatriptan online - help?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   can I buy sumatriptan online - help??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: can I buy sumatriptan online - help??  (Read 619 times)
safety1
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

can I buy sumatriptan online - help??
« on: Nov 7th, 2003, 4:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After almost two years of suffering [ my GP didnt have a clue ] as only you guys know how, I have been advised by my consultant to use sumatriptan injections. Because of the high cost of the drug my GP will only prescribe two injections for me at a time. This is going to cost me an absolute fortune as I have on average between 7 and 10 attacks per week. I have not had a free week in almost two years.  
I live in the UK and if anyone knows where I can buy the injections/refills your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance of your reply.
IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

Re: can I buy sumatriptan online - help??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 7th, 2003, 6:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Go here...................

http://www.drugstore.com/pharmacy/prices/drugprice.asp?ndc=00173047900&a mp;trx=1Z5005

Lee
IP Logged
safety1
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 7th, 2003, 6:33pm »

Thanks 4 your help, I'll give it a try.
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 1:50pm »

Savety,
Print out the article by Prof Peter Goadsby and Dr Manjit Matharu and bring it to your doctor. But don't forget to mark in bright color the following passage:

However, in this era of a cost-conscious NHS, some practitioners are reluctant to prescribe this relatively expensive drug. We feel that, given the devastating morbidity associated with this excruciating pain syndrome, it is unethical to withhold treatment for cost reasons. Although nasal sumatriptan is often used, it is considerably less efficacious than the subcutaneous formulation and there are no controlled studies to support its use.

And get a referal to a neurologist, a GP is usually not very knowledgeable on CH, and you are probably his first case.

PFNADs
Ueli
IP Logged
safety1
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 3:30pm »

Thanks for your response Ueli. I'll download the article.

Yes you are right the GP has given all manner of medication over a considerable period and has been treating me for all manner of illnesses.

Once I found out about this website and have seen how others have been suffering and with the same symptons I almost cried with relief. At last I know what I've got. I presume once the Verapamil kicks in things will get better????

The injections are an absolute God send.

Thanks for everyone's interest and help.

Take care all.

IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 6:49pm »

safety1

Ueli's advice is so totally spot on but lacks one very important question. Have you been to/become a member of OUCH UK yet? www.clusterheadaches.org.uk

The article he refers you to is written by two of the world experts on CH who are based in the UK at the London Institute of Neurology. You can even get to be seen by them themselves if you are prepared to sign up for an 02 trial at the Institute.
You really don't need to pay for Imigran (how NOT to is too much to post here), and frankly, to take it without medical supervison is perhaps not sensible as it CAN affect your heart and circulation and your use should be monitored.

If you register and post on OUCH UK you will find a whole host of people there with many years of dealing with CH sufferers in the UK who can help you with more specific info than people here can (no offence!)

Hope to see you over there safety1

P.S. How are you getting your Verapimil if your GP is so useless?

« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2003, 6:52pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 7:10pm »

on Nov 9th, 2003, 6:49pm, pubgirl wrote:
P.S. How are you getting your Verapimil if your GP is so useless?  

Probably because it's one of the most prescribed preventatives for CH...  I know plenty of knucklehead docs that would at least go so far as to prescribe this...they still didn't know jack about CH.
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 7:23pm »

Very true Prense. Sorry, bad habit of mine, mummy instincts coming out again. Was a bit worried that safety1 might be buying that and taking it without medical supervision as well.

Annie

IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 9th, 2003, 7:28pm »

LOL, well...that too could still be the case.   Grin
IP Logged

safety1
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 3:28pm »

Hi All,

I'm still totally blown away that so many people take the time out to respond. You're all a caring bunch...thanks.

My GP has for the last 20 months being treating me for an array of ailments from sinusitis to trigeminal neuralgia and consequently I have been given an array of drugs. These have ranged from over the counter remedies to amitriptylene to carbamazepan, all totally useless. In the end I paid to see a consultant who told me about CH and Verapamil and Sumatriptan.
My GP is moaning about the high cost of the injections and wants to give me the nasal spray instead. After reading some of the articles on your site the spray doesn't appear to be much use for chronic CH. When he gives me the injections he will only give me two at a time which I can use in 24hours. I have approx 7 - 10 [sometimes as many as 15] bad heads a week and this has been relentles now for nearly 2 years.
This has forced me to look elsewhere for the injections hence the original posting.
Agree with everyone's comments about GP's , they are totally useless.
The one big thing to come out of all this was finding so many people who know all about the pain and after reading some of the comments on the site I can relate to all that's being said.
Thanks Pubgirl and Prense for your constructive comments, help and understanding. I wish my wife had the same understanding she could take no more of the heads and cleared off.
Take care all.
IP Logged
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 4:59pm »

Take a look at the link to the side on the Imitrex Tip.  I know that many people use this as they are in the same boat as you.
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Ueli

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 6:15pm »

Savety,
remind your GP that Sumatriptan injections are in the UK on the list of approved CH treatments, but the spray and pills are not.

IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 6:18pm »

Hello again Safety1

I am so sorry you are having such a terrible time with your CH AND your GP.
It's easy for me to say but you have very good grounds for a formal complaint against your GP.  
I am assuming here that you have tried to change to a more sympathetic one as that is usually the easiest option.

There are many,many GP's now in the UK who will prescribe what you need, and it is utterly unethical for them not to do so on the basis of cost. I could quote you the parts of the NHS commitments that say all this but you will find it all on other posts on OUCH UK.

As a chronic CH sufferer you should never have  to accept this barbaric treatment and you certainly shouldn't be paying to see a neurologist or for your medication.

I can only suggest you post a brief history (such as your one above) on OUCh UK, people there can help with how to get multiple prescriptions of Imigran, they may live near you and tell you if there is a good GP near you could register with, many of us all over the country have them now. I certainly have a great neurologist and GP and there are mnay others like me too.

You could also consider being treated at Queen's Square by Goadsby and his team. It doesn't get a lot better than  that!

Please don't just accept this bad treatment, things are changing here for the better, you just need to locate the right Doctor.

P.S. I use the nasal sprays and find they abort in about 15 mins, but I am a seasonal episodic so have no idea whether they would work for you.

P.P.S. I live nearish to you (Borders of Bucks, Beds and Herts) and I am sure there are others even nearer who can help
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2003, 6:21pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 6:27pm »

Sorry, just seen you over the pond posting, lets see who can help over there!
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 6:48pm »

2 per day is the approved limit set by GSK...I would imagine that is based on what they tested for FDA approval.  As previously mentioned, take a look at the "imitrex tip" located on the left.  You could potentially turn 2 injections per day into 6...definately worth considering.  I am chronic, but my hits are not always daily.  I have the occasional opportunity to "stock up".  When I see my doc, I am always out of trex.  That's my story!

Chris
IP Logged

pubgirl

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 6:51pm »

Prense

I do that as well. My cycles always last about 2 weeks longer than they actually do and I get a stockpile going for the next cycle Embarassed
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 10th, 2003, 7:17pm »

It's the only way I can get by...funny, I was able to cope before I knew there was something that I could take to kill the HA.  Now, I feel I can't ride one out.  This shit sucks!

Chris
IP Logged

safety1
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #17 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 12:04pm »

Once again thanks all of you for your help, I truly never expected this sort of reaction. I only hope that one day I will be able to offer others the advice and help as you guys have done for me.

Its horrible to think of your suffering but perversely it's equally comforting to know others are in the same boat.

I fully intend to take all the advice you have given me and by looking around this board and the one in the UK I feel at last I am getting somewhere.

Keep well all of you and  
A BIG THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART Smiley
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 7:24pm »

hug
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss